Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

AdBlue in Fuel tank....ooops!

Skewif

Skewif

It’s not what you have, it's where you wake up.
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Bumped into a good friend yesterday and on asking why he was driving a T6 van rather than his new Beach a huge confession started. On seeing the low AdBlue warning, went out and accidentally tipped many gulps of AdBlue directly into the fuel tank. Result was now having new engine/injection system /fuel lines fitted at an estimated max of £15k at VW! AdBlue apparently mostly water and the rest crystallises once in the fuel. According to the recovery tech it’s an increasingly common problem. Owner has written to VW suggesting the blue filler should be in the engine bay and not right next to the fuel filler cap. Fortunately all covered by mis-fuel insurance. A box that might just be worth a tick when taking out insurance if you’re easily distracted and lucky enough to have a new one.

Put the adblue in engine bay so he can add it to
  • the oil direct
  • the washer bottle
  • the radiator

Last edited:
The adblue filler cap is bright blue clour and like the fuel filler has to be physically removed before you can fill. I cannot imagine how you could accidentally then make this mistake. Oh - did read somewhere about the number of police vehicles being refuelled with petrol instead of diesel but that is just carelessness!!

The adblue filler cap is bright blue clour and like the fuel filler has to be physically removed before you can fill. I cannot imagine how you could accidentally then make this mistake. Oh - did read somewhere about the number of police vehicles being refuelled with petrol instead of diesel but that is just carelessness!!
Mrs Amarillo once refilled our kettle with tennis balls.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...club.com/index.php?posts/208763/&share_type=t

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

That used to be easily done, especially at BP's where the gun colour was blue on petrol & diesel with only a little label showing the difference.
No I've never done it.
Just waiting for a TSi to have diesel in it, ruined catalyst??

That used to be easily done, especially at BP's where the gun colour was blue on petrol & diesel with only a little label showing the difference.
No I've never done it.
Just waiting for a TSi to have diesel in it, ruined catalyst??
Putting petrol in a diesel is common but the other way around less so as diesel pump nozzle won’t fit into modern petrol car filling point. I dare say someone will find a way though.

Said he was miles away in thought and just took the fuel filler cap off by force of habit. As there are a few posts on here regarding getting diesel out of the water tank it seems anything is possible.

And this person was in charge of a 3 tonne missile. Heaven help us.

A misfill fix by insurance company - affect NCB??

I can see how easy it would be

Bumped into a good friend yesterday and on asking why he was driving a T6 van rather than his new Beach a huge confession started. On seeing the low AdBlue warning, went out and accidentally tipped many gulps of AdBlue directly into the fuel tank. Result was now having new engine/injection system /fuel lines fitted at an estimated max of £15k at VW! AdBlue apparently mostly water and the rest crystallises once in the fuel. According to the recovery tech it’s an increasingly common problem. Owner has written to VW suggesting the blue filler should be in the engine bay and not right next to the fuel filler cap. Fortunately all covered by mis-fuel insurance. A box that might just be worth a tick when taking out insurance if you’re easily distracted and lucky enough to have a new one.
I can see how easy this would be - I nearly put diesel in the Adblu the other day - I wonder what that would have done ?

I can see how easy this would be - I nearly put diesel in the Adblu the other day - I wonder what that would have done ?
Would have got you an invoice much smaller than £15k. A drain and flush out of the AdBlue tank/system plus maybe the pump.
Most important when mis-fuelled is don’t start the engine as can be a relatively cheap fix if only in the tank and not circulated. Lots of company’s offer a mis-fuel emergency service to fix you on the spot.

I've not had a problem with diesel in the adblu or vice versa, but I very nearly made a costly mistake at my local petrol station (attendant service). I had switched off the ignition, opened the drivers door and fuel flap and put the keys on the top of the pump. I was looking at some posters on the garage forecourt when I caught the attendant opening the water filler with the key (on the same ring as the ignition) to fill up with diesel. Fortunately, I stopped him just in time, but it was a lesson learned. The water filler key is now kept inside the glove box. Maybe a locking cap for the adblu filler would be a good idea. I don't know if there are any after market ones available.

I've not had a problem with diesel in the adblu or vice versa, but I very nearly made a costly mistake at my local petrol station (attendant service). I had switched off the ignition, opened the drivers door and fuel flap and put the keys on the top of the pump. I was looking at some posters on the garage forecourt when I caught the attendant opening the water filler with the key (on the same ring as the ignition) to fill up with diesel. Fortunately, I stopped him just in time, but it was a lesson learned. The water filler key is now kept inside the glove box. Maybe a locking cap for the adblu filler would be a good idea. I don't know if there are any after market ones available.
Adblue filler has a small nozzle hole to prevent Diesel/petrol ones being inserted.
Adblu nozzle has a magnetic sensor to prevent any discharge into the diesel tank.

Adblue filler has a small nozzle hole to prevent Diesel/petrol ones being inserted.
Adblue nozzle has a magnetic sensor to prevent any discharge into the diesel tank.
Neither will prevent a numpty from emptying 2 5L adblue containers into the diesel tank though.. (no, not me, nor my Cali) it got 100 yrds then stopped and now the owner has a £6K quote to fix...

Neither will prevent a numpty from emptying 2 5L adblue containers into the diesel tank though.. (no, not me, nor my Cali) it got 100 yrds then stopped and now the owner has a £6K quote to fix...
Always those that can find a way to circumvent any preventative measures. Usually not their fault but due to 'they or them' not having stopped their particular lack of care.:headbang

Putting petrol in a diesel is common but the other way around less so as diesel pump nozzle won’t fit into modern petrol car filling point. I dare say someone will find a way though.
Yes. Me

I misfuelled a previous diesel car with some petrol. It was an empty tank and I had put about 15 or 20 litres in. It was late on Sunday evening in winter, I was 100 miles from home with wife and young kids aboard. So I brimmed it with diesel and hoped for the best. Fortunately no repercussions...

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Someone on another Cali forum on Facebook recently loaned their Cali to a friend who filled the water tank with diesel before returning it. £1500 to replace the tank! Easily done I suppose as the diesel filler is well hidden.

Back