Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Add subwoofer to Standard infotainment

California_Clarky

California_Clarky

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Has anyone added a sub woofer to the nav pro infotainment system I am looking for a bit more tone but don’t want I cut into existing wiring

TIA

Has anyone added a sub woofer to the nav pro infotainment system I am looking for a bit more tone but don’t want I cut into existing wiring

TIA
I fitted the Gladen Sound up system to my Cali recently. It’s all play and play so no cutting of wires needed. Consisted of from speakers, Amp, Sub, all wiring which connects to the standard wiring, and Sound Deadening. I fitted it all myself which was quite straight forward although took me best part of al day to do. The sound is very impressive and much better than I was expecting.

I fitted the Gladen Sound up system to my Cali recently. It’s all play and play so no cutting of wires needed. Consisted of from speakers, Amp, Sub, all wiring which connects to the standard wiring, and Sound Deadening. I fitted it all myself which was quite straight forward although took me best part of al day to do. The sound is very impressive and much better than I was expecting.
Do you have a link to the kit?

Is this it ?

TIA
Have look at the Alpine SPC-D84AT6 Sub and Amplifier System for Volkswagen T6 / T6.1 I've not got yet but have used their upgrade kit for the front speakers. Its all plug & play & supposed to all fit under the front seats.

Is this it ?
Yes that’s it. It’s much better than I was expecting. I went with next amp up so the rear speakers are also amped, I will also change those to Gladens soon as very impressed with the rest of the kit.

Yep, I had a Kenwood sub fitted by Absolut 5. They took a connection to the rear speaker wires which run under the driver seat. I wrote about it here:
Thread 'T6.1 Audio - Kenwood KSC-PSW8 underseat subwoofer'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-1-audio-kenwood-ksc-psw8-underseat-subwoofer.41636/

I also have the Alpine speaker upgrade in the A pillar and doors which @andyinluton mentions above.

All worthwhile upgrades and work fine with the Pro head unit.
are the upgraded front speakers a noticeable upgrade with the pro head - any issues with just having the sub on the rear speakers?

I was thinking of maybe doing it bit by it as funds allow is doing just the Alpine speaker update worth doing alone? is the output of Pro head and better than the normal one?

Last edited:
Yes the Alpine speakers are better. I also went bit by bit with the sub first, and honestly that gave the most noticeable overall difference. The Alpines give more detail and sound deadening (which you should fit at the same time) stops the doors vibrating so much at higher volumes. If you let the door speakers do all the work at the bass end and you like it loud you will get buzzy vibration and distortion because the door cards move.

Putting the sub on the rear speakers is fine it only needs a stereo signal to work. Whether you go into front or rear LR, you will get some difference in the amount of bass when you tweak the front rear balance in the head EQ settings. But that is easily readjusted on the sub remote. One thing I will add is I personally didn't find it necessary to upgrade the rears - if you make them loud enough to hear up front they will be way too loud for your passengers.
I don’t know whether the Pro head is better than standard, but it works fine and the amp is powerful enough. The output is a bit dominated by high frequencies but you can tweak it to taste in the EQ and balance in the sub when you get one.

Yes the Alpine speakers are better. I also went bit by bit with the sub first, and honestly that gave the most noticeable overall difference. The Alpines give more detail and sound deadening (which you should fit at the same time) stops the doors vibrating so much at higher volumes. If you let the door speakers do all the work at the bass end and you like it loud you will get buzzy vibration and distortion because the door cards move.

Putting the sub on the rear speakers is fine it only needs a stereo signal to work. Whether you go into front or rear LR, you will get some difference in the amount of bass when you tweak the front rear balance in the head EQ settings. But that is easily readjusted on the sub remote. One thing I will add is I personally didn't find it necessary to upgrade the rears - if you make them loud enough to hear up front they will be way too loud for your passengers.
I don’t know whether the Pro head is better than standard, but it works fine and the amp is powerful enough. The output is a bit dominated by high frequencies but you can tweak it to taste in the EQ and balance in the sub when you get one.
Thank you for such a detailed reply I might go for the alpine front upgrade first and See how it goes. I am looking for a bit more clarity and base this might be enough

How much sound deadening is needed just the local area around speaker or the whole door I assume putting it on the door is better and not on the card. . Are there any issues getting the cards back on with the deadening fitted.

I assume that the front seat needs to be removed I order to fit the Sub in?

If you have the budget, I can highly recommend the Absolut5 signature audio setup - Audison/Hertz. They should be able to advise a setup based on budget.

They did also suggest that upgrading the head unit to something like an Alpine Halo would further improve the audio.

The difference from the factory setup is night and day.

Cali (my2023) was in at Absolut5 on Friday
Gladen fronts
Audison 5.600 and bass control
Hertz centro 10” sub
Absolut5 enclosure
Deadening
All on the standard pro head unit
Sounds fantastic
Well worth travelling down from Glasgow to get the work done

Thank you for such a detailed reply I might go for the alpine front upgrade first and See how it goes. I am looking for a bit more clarity and base this might be enough

How much sound deadening is needed just the local area around speaker or the whole door I assume putting it on the door is better and not on the card. . Are there any issues getting the cards back on with the deadening fitted.

I assume that the front seat needs to be removed I order to fit the Sub in?
Yes it might work for you depending on how much bass you like. But I find with a sub doing the work you don't drive the door speakers so hard and so less probe to vibration. I had deading fitted by Absolut 5 so can’t comment on ease of refitting the cards but I know others on here have done it DIY. And yes I think the seat has to come off to fit a sub, there’s not a huge amount of space to work in.

Back