• Start date
H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Found it annoing ever since we had the Cali that we have to leave the slide out cup-holder open to get acces to the 12v cigaret lighter when charging the phone or using a satnav.

Seen treads on the forum that it is very difficult to take out the cup-holder to acces the wiring
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/removing-ash-tray-cup-holder-draw.730/

Today i tryed it , had the gear ready bought a 12v socket and a fuse a while ago .
BEWARE WE ARE DEALING A LEFT HAND DRIVE DSG MODEL SE 2012 !!!!
It seems it is very easy take the whole tray out ....just three screws!
There is one torx screw visible the other two are hidden behind trim you just pull of easy.
This first screw is the one visible at all time.
image.jpeg
To find this second screw you need to pull out the small trim to the side of the cup-holder
image.jpeg
The thirth screw is on the other side hidden behind the trim under the gearstick ( mine DSG) it is a big piece but you just need to pull it out on one side not removing the whole piece
image.jpeg
When those three srews are out the whole unit comes out and at the back you just disconnect the wireing by a simple plug.

Took a short wire and used those connections you just put over the existing wire and pinch on with a pincers

I put a fuse between it just to be sure ....beware on the picture i took it is on the black - , it should be on the red + wire ....i did it wrong first and forgot to take new pictures afther redoing it all....have to take it all back out just for new pictures:headbang
Used a 8amp fuse hope it is not to heavy ?
I am not that much in to electric as you saw above in my - / + fuse mistake so if any of you can comment on my fuse choice i'll be happy to hear!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Tested it and put it all back in.

Than fitting the socket in the dash in the blank cover above the cup-holder.
As i got lots of tools for wood (was a carpenter in the first part of my carreer) tryed to cut the hole using this .....
image.jpeg
It worked but would not recomend to anyone , had no other special tool/drill and wanted to try risking damaging the plastic cover witch is probally cheaper than buying a special drill.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

View attachment 15616

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice job. Very tidy work. Fuse could be 15amp if heavy enough wire used. 8amp will be fine for charging phones etc.

Nice job. Very tidy work. Fuse could be 15amp if heavy enough wire used. 8amp will be fine for charging phones etc.
Thanks , thats all we use it for , phone and sat-nav.

Why did you put a cigarette lighter socket in when you could just as easily have fitted a double USB socket?

Why did you put a cigarette lighter socket in when you could just as easily have fitted a double USB socket?
Got a double usb socket the same brand and size , was planning to ad that also somewhere in the back....but started of with this as it was easy to reach.
I could swap it easyly ....on second thought the sat-nav works with USB also so that could go!
Did'nt think of that ....thanks for the heads up ! Might change it !

@fred , went and checked out the double usb plug i also bought .
Tested it and it seems there's a led-light staying on permanet as the power is not disconnected by turning the contact off....think it could drain the starter battery even if it is just a small led-indicator.
So at the moment the 12v cigaret lighter stays in , if i find a usb without a permanent led indicator i might change it .

Ah. So I've wired a double USB socket on to an ignition-on only circuit and fitted it inside my glove box. While I was at it I also fitted a courtesy light in the glove box as the lack of one really irritated me!

Ah. So I've wired a double USB socket on to an ignition-on only circuit and fitted it inside my glove box. While I was at it I also fitted a courtesy light in the glove box as the lack of one really irritated me!

Hi, did you pick up the ignition feed from the fuse box or somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuse box or existing cigarette lighter

Fuse box or existing cigarette lighter

I'm trying to work out a good ignition feed for a USB socket I'm fitting in the glove box & all my cig lighter sockets are permanent!

I may just tap into the stereo ignition feed unless someone knows a reason why I shouldn't?

Nicely done .. but.. My T5 cali has a 12v socket on top of the dashboard above the radio. We use that one for charging. Not present on yours? Perhaps because I had ordered my Cali without radio/satnav then? Anyway, that socket is wired to leisure battery, where as the cigarette lighter socket is wired to the engine.

Nicely done .. but.. My T5 cali has a 12v socket on top of the dashboard above the radio. We use that one for charging. Not present on yours? Perhaps because I had ordered my Cali without radio/satnav then? Anyway, that socket is wired to leisure battery, where as the cigarette lighter socket is wired to the engine.

Who are you actually talking / referring too as I'm not sure if it's just me but it isn't clear from your post?

Sorry about that, was refering to the original post from hotel California. I know it's 2 months old; only saw it now.

@zeratul ,
Is yours a SE or beach ...
Diffrent dash...;)

Back