Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Additional Drawer & Child Safe Net

Interesting options:

There should be details on the forum about adding the second drawer.

Really glad I spec’d the storage pack, after being sceptical when ticking boxes.
The drawer is a great additional space for small things. In 2 years Ive never wished I had a load-through area instead.
The net is very helpful at night to keep books and water bottles etc, but also, when pulled taut, to stop your pillow falling on the seats below, and to discipline the roof as you close it, allowing the hatch to close smoothly.

Last edited:
Your wrong there. I've got pull out rear drawer. You just post long stuff over it into the long space. That extra drawer isn't worth the money. If I had it in a van I bought second hand I'd keep it. If I had the choice I would do without it. I find the load space extremely useful.
Yah I agree that you can put stuff over the drawer. I do this as well. But probably not ski's or anything substantial when travelling.

This video shows the factory fitted storage draw and roof net.

A lot!

This was my thought. It seems like a punchy sum for a tiny drawer.

I’d be interested if anyone has experience DIY fitting. I spied 50 Nord have their own natty looking wooden one. But it’s just as pricey.

I’m thinking if I canned the safe, the drawer & 4 keys, I have a decent pot to play with.

I already binned the shower & comfort mattress after reading threads on here.
I retrofitted the drawer in my 07 SE after finding one on ebay for 1/2 the price that VW wanted. It's a LOT cheaper to spec it up from the factory. I love it, it's one of best modifications that I've done.

As said above, its not a child safety net.
The child safety net comes as standard and mines away in the loft.
It's a storage net that's extra. We find this extremely useful especially at night when sleeping upstairs. Mobile phones, drinks, lights etc all go in there.
We have a 2021 coast and its a great help when closing the hatch or even if you keep the hatch open when driving its extra storage above the front seats as long as your not too tall.
The added draw we wouldn't be without. If the lower bed is used you can still access the draws so anything you need to hand is great to store there.

As said above, its not a child safety net.
The child safety net comes as standard and mines away in the loft.
It's a storage net that's extra. We find this extremely useful especially at night when sleeping upstairs. Mobile phones, drinks, lights etc all go in there.
We have a 2021 coast and its a great help when closing the hatch or even if you keep the hatch open when driving its extra storage above the front seats as long as your not too tall.
The added draw we wouldn't be without. If the lower bed is used you can still access the draws so anything you need to hand is great to store there.
I always assumed it was the other way around, so good to know.

As you our child net, for now, is in the garage.

The storage net we took off - we just found it a faff and always got in the way.

We have a new way of doing the roof where we get it half down, then half close the shutter and then as it comes fully down just keep it folded in and when down fully close shutter. Works a treat.

I retrofitted the drawer in my 07 SE after finding one on ebay for 1/2 the price that VW wanted. It's a LOT cheaper to spec it up from the factory. I love it, it's one of best modifications that I've done.
So an aftermarket drawer & fittings is more than specing it as a factory option?

Just want to make sure, as I read German & Belgian blogs that suggest the drawer is €89 to buy.

So an aftermarket drawer & fittings is more than specing it as a factory option?

Just want to make sure, as I read German & Belgian blogs that suggest the drawer is €89 to buy.
Its quite a bit more than that. You have to factor in the runners which are not cheap. If you check out Will's vlog he provides the total pricing. Should be just under 200 quid

Its quite a bit more than that. You have to factor in the runners which are not cheap. If you check out Will's vlog he provides the total pricing. Should be just under 200 quid
That pricing was a while ago, so expect it to have gone up with inflation and all that..
I would have a look at a van with the drawer before deciding if it’s going to work for you.

That pricing was a while ago, so expect it to have gone up with inflation and all that..
I would have a look at a van with the drawer before deciding if it’s going to work for you.
Yes well over 350 quid using DIY runners as suggested by Will.

Thanks people. I think on balance the drawer is worth the £.

I don’t plan on skiing in the van, so can’t think of much I’d need the load through space for it.

Understand those that like the flexibility though.

I must admit, for the price of the extra drawer, i'm thinking along the lines of a "really useful" or similar box with a lid,that can slide in and out instead of the extra drawer. I would just need to find a way to secure it during travelling. Could save myself £300 or so,

I must admit, for the price of the extra drawer, i'm thinking along the lines of a "really useful" or similar box with a lid,that can slide in and out instead of the extra drawer. I would just need to find a way to secure it during travelling. Could save myself £300 or so,
There are a few on here. I have to admit though when spending 75K on a Cali I do find that a few hundred quid on extras that make your life a lot easier, are factory fit and help resale is not really worth quibbling.

Said the same to my sister who was reticent to spend 50 quid on rubber mats. So you bought a 75K van, but won't spend 50 quid on accessories? She bought the mats.

Last edited:
There are a few on here. I have to admit though when spending 75K on a Cali I do find that a few hundred quid on extras that make your life a lot easier, are factory fit and help resale is not really worth quibbling.

Said the same to my sister who was reticent to spend 50 quid on rubber mats. So you bought a 75K van, but won't spend 50 quid on accessories? She bought the mats.
We havent all paid 75k plus for a cali though. So yes 300 quid for a drawer to put tins of beans in for me is nuts.
I get your point though. Motorhomes pay 70 80 90 large plus for a vehicle and then park in a lay-by to save 20 quid on a camp site

Surely the drawer must be fairly easy to remove if you wanted to load something long in that area? Just curious for those considering ordering it.

The heavy duty rubber mats are a necessity. Lost count of the number of times I got into the cab with wet muddy boots.

Surely the drawer must be fairly easy to remove if you wanted to load something long in that area? Just curious for those considering ordering it.
You could pull it out and leave out (with a choc of some sort) but it does not remove easily.

can the store net be retro fitted? first time I've seen one of the Cali Chris video, i could see that being useful, how does it attach? I'm against the drawer though, as above fits my ramps perfectly in there

as for the shower, i didn't order it as couldn't see the point of a cold shower, however I've since been in the situation a few times where it would of actually helped us out, so its on my order for my replacement Ocean.

We havent all paid 75k plus for a cali though. So yes 300 quid for a drawer to put tins of beans in for me is nuts.
I get your point though. Motorhomes pay 70 80 90 large plus for a vehicle and then park in a lay-by to save 20 quid on a camp site
If you put tins of beans in you will need some carpet and side protection to stop them rattling :D

PS: Is parking in a lay-by classed as wild camping?

If you put tins of beans in you will need some carpet and side protection to stop them rattling :D

PS: Is parking in a lay-by classed as wild camping?
You can get them plastic tins of beans now. Micro pots or something.
Parking in p1ssy laybys is wild camping yes.

Back