Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Admiral Insurance -Check the extra conditions

ZampaVan

ZampaVan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Be aware . I’ve been comprehensively insured with Admiral on my 2014 California Ocean for 4 years. My son is a named driver and is using this week while on holiday. I wanted to use his old Mercedes estate ( worth nothing but 250,000 faultless miles!) so I had transport and had thought like most policies I would have 3rd party cover to drive other vehicles with consent.
Not the case with Admiral!
Their Comprehensive policy excludes cover to drive other cars. When asked reason why they said it was because the vehicle insured under the policy was a Camper Van ( originally they said it was because I’m retired!! ) . I responded it’s a purpose built Campervan and the DVLA records it as Motor Caravan . That made no difference to them and you can’t add that 3rd party cover at an additional cost.
The insurance was due for renewal next week and I have cancelled my policy with Admiral . I’m now insured comprehensively with the same excess with LV = who do provide that 3rd party cover to drive other vehicles as standard at no additional cost. As an added bonus I also halved the renewal premium requested by Admiral……

Be aware . I’ve been comprehensively insured with Admiral on my 2014 California Ocean for 4 years. My son is a named driver and is using this week while on holiday. I wanted to use his old Mercedes estate ( worth nothing but 250,000 faultless miles!) so I had transport and had thought like most policies I would have 3rd party cover to drive other vehicles with consent.
Their Comprehensive policy excludes cover to drive other cars. When asked reason why they said it was because the vehicle insured under the policy was a Camper Van ( originally they said it was because I’m retired!! ) . I responded it’s a purpose built Campervan and the DVLA records it as Motor Caravan . That made no difference to them and you can’t add that 3rd party cover at an additional cost.
The insurance was due for renewal next week and I have cancelled my policy with Admiral . I’m now insured comprehensively with the same excess with LV = who do provide that 3rd party cover to drive other vehicles as standard at no additional cost. As an added bonus I also halved the renewal premium requested by Admiral……
Handy to know, my safeguard doesn’t cover me to drive anything else.
Being on my daughter insurance as named driver makes hers cheaper.

We are insured with Admiral but they did make it clear in the policy wording that we would only be insured to drive the vehicles specifically mentioned in the policy. Cost has remained competitive for past 2 years.

DOC used to be included on most policies, but now seems to be a trend to exclude even if you have comprehensive cover.

I have three separate policies and DOC is excluded in all three. The first was two years ago, the last at the last renewal in March this year. It now seems to be normal for DOC to be excluded.

I have three separate policies and DOC is excluded in all three. The first was two years ago, the last at the last renewal in March this year. It now seems to be normal for DOC to be excluded.

That said it’s now fairly cheap for someone to just add you as a named driver; then you will have same coverage as the main driver.

Somone also told me a about the instant insurance policy app where you can insure for periods as short as 1 hour:

They used it when their student daughter had driven them for family Sunday lunch, but she had ended up bumping into some friends and stayed out drinking..so the Dad insured himself to get the car / rest of the family back home. (Don’t think it would work for a Cali as think there is a cap on vehicle value.)

I used to work in motor insurance and the driving other vehicles cover is for in the event of an emergency - it covers you 3rd party only and it is only whilst actually driving the vehicle. So if you take it somewhere and park it up and it gets stolen it's not covered for theft.
Best way is to get added to the owners insurance as a temporary additional driver. Then covered for all eventualities.

Sorry I think Kimmy491 might be a little out there. There is no condition of the theft cover that the vehicle has to be parked up by a particular person.
As for DOC, I have comprehensive admiral multicover and the policy relating to the car allows me (the policyholder only) to doc. Best advice is always check the wording in your documents and not just go from threads on sites such as these - what we used to call Barrack-room lawyers!

I’m with Admiral and have multi car for me and the wife. I am the main driver on the Cali and as above am NOT covered for third party on other vehicles. The wife is the main driver on her Golf and IS covered third party on other vehicles. I used to sell insurance and it’s key to check this as it varies all the time. Particularly if you have kids with insurance. Most drivers under 21 would not have third party on other cars with any company. I would be very cautious if a vehicle was stolen in saying it was a non-named driver that parked it. I would not be surprised if they tried not to pay out….. any excuse!

I've never been covered 3rd party on any policy. I'm always surprised people still think it's a thing & can only assume they haven't changed insurers recently.

I used to advise at CAB & am very aware that you need to be spot on with insurance. Declare any & all modifications, etc. It was common for young people to be 2nd drivers on their main car too. That's a definite no now.

FYI - Its included on my Comfort policy

I think that insurance companies are looking to remove the driving of other cars from their policies. When I was looking to insure my car earlier in the year it was 50:50 if companies offered the driving of other cars. It would be worth checking your policy before borrowing someone else’s car.
Some policies do have the option to add any driver either.

For info it’s included on my LV policy

I am looking to change to Admiral from Comfort and Admirals website states you are covered to

Drive Other Cars subject to eligibility..​

I am looking to change to Admiral from Comfort and Admirals website states you are covered to

Drive Other Cars subject to eligibility..​

I’ve recently changed from Admiral back to Comfort… make sure you get Admiral to confirm that you are covered as a campervan and not a work van and that they cover you if you have a camping related accident…. fire damage whilst cooking etc.
I was never confident that they really understood the “campervan“ and just treated it as a van.

I’ve recently changed from Admiral back to Comfort… make sure you get Admiral to confirm that you are covered as a campervan and not a work van and that they cover you if you have a camping related accident…. fire damage whilst cooking etc.
I was never confident that they really understood the “campervan“ and just treated it as a van.
Thanks I will do, they are calling me back in about 5 minutes... I have some questions for them.

Also, when with "Comfort" its actually with whomever they give you via their broker process, so I am currently with LV via Comfort. I cant see anywhere on the LV / Comfort insurance where is states they cover you for fire whilst cooking etc?? Where would I find this?

Admiral have quoted me £295 on my 2013 Cali 140 SE (Comfort / LV were £380) and have stated that the factory fitted habitation equipment such as cooker, fridge etc are covered. But I will also check for any accidents such as fire damage whilst cooking etc...

Thanks

Thanks I will do, they are calling me back in about 5 minutes... I have some questions for them.

Also, when with "Comfort" its actually with whomever they give you via their broker process, so I am currently with LV via Comfort. I cant see anywhere on the LV / Comfort insurance where is states they cover you for fire whilst cooking etc?? Where would I find this?

Admiral have quoted me £295 on my 2013 Cali 140 SE (Comfort / LV were £380) and have stated that the factory fitted habitation equipment such as cooker, fridge etc are covered. But I will also check for any accidents such as fire damage whilst cooking etc...

Thanks
They will certainly cover you for factory fitted habitation equipment if involved in a Road Traffic Accident. The question is are you covered when living in the van and using said equipment for the intended purpose.

Just spoken to them and they have said it DOES cover any camping incidents and will cover any factory fitted items but not any modifications should there be any camping / fire incidents whilst cooking etc. They have said that they would replace any factory fitted items lost / damaged in the habitation area from cooking accidents etc.

It would be completely covered as a campervan and not a work van or anything else like that.