• Thread starter TwentyOneThirtyFive
  • Start date
TwentyOneThirtyFive

TwentyOneThirtyFive

Scruffy looking Nerf herder
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Wasn't sure where to put this as it's not a VW show, but may be of interest to some.

The Adventure and Overland Show at Stratford racecourse, 28/29 September. Camping onsite.

http://www.adventureoverlandshow.com/

dan

Now, I like the looks of this but think we're busy with relatives visiting this weekend.

M

That's a shame. The rellies don't fancy a day out then? :D

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
That's a shame. The rellies don't fancy a day out then? :D

Now that's a possibility... :)

Well spotted. Looks like it'll be worth a visit. I'll check my calendar tonight...

Thanks for the heads up Dan, I now know what I'll be doing this weekend !! See you there.

Glad that's been of use. It looks pretty interesting, but hadn't seen it advertised in any of my usual haunts. Just happened to notice it on a retweet from someone.

Hopefully will be camping there over the weekend and at the show on Saturday ;)

dan

Winches , bars & grills , skid pans and jack up boys ....lol
Sounds abit of me :)

Plenty of winch action :)

Seen a Cali in the campsite but no one around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Land Rover's competitor to the California 4 Motion, the 101...

IMGP2948_zps0a0d30d3.jpg

More winch and tyre photos on the blog.

Never thought to try and catch up with you there - we didn't camp as other things got in the way but like you it is quite close to home so we popped over on Sunday. Good (little) show.

No photos of the Bliss Mobil? We were given a very good tour - despite telling the owner that we really weren't in the market for what is basically a demountable camper shell costing £210,000! The 6x6 truck it was mounted on was an additional £150,000. Impressive machine but... I can't quite get my head around the idea of driving something so expensive to some of the poorest places on the planet.

For anyone interested, the website is here http://www.blissmobil.com/ the owners of the company were very friendly indeed.

On leaving, we had a look around some of the American RV style monsters in one of the camping areas. Very impressive to see so many in one place. We got chatting to a chap with an 5th wheel style 'trailer' and spent some time looking at his tow car - a Dodge Pickup - that he has tuned to produce 770 bhp. It sounded like an aeroplane firing up...

If the show runs again, I would definitely be up for camping there.

It was the quadbike garage and winch on the back of it that I was particularly fond of...

We had the same conversation with someone about the cost of these things and the ethics of driving them into very poor places to essentially sight-see. Where do you draw the line though? There are also issues with shipping them abroad - the carne-de-passage is a % of vehicle value, which I didn't realise.

Unfortunately no photos of them, we forgot to take pictures while we were in the show itself. We spent so long speaking to Simon about his travels in a T4 that we almost didn't have time to buy the one thing we wanted!

We only went in on Saturday, although we camped all weekend - wandered into Stratford on Sunday and left the van on the campsite rather than find somewhere to park. Was a good show, but 1 day was enough to see everything and chat to everyone we wanted to.

Part of the beauty of that 'camper' is that you can easily ship the 'camper' into the country in question as it is the same dimensions (and basically is) as a standard shipping container. You then buy the vehicle in country...

I'm not sure how much that would really save on a carne - you may get away with a much smaller bond on the "container" or they may even just want to record serial numbers etc at the frontier?

I guess if you can afford the £210k then the rest is small potatoes!

I don't understand the £15000 for the truck, must be available for a lot less elsewhere. I do like the idea of being able to ship the box in & buy a truck locally & later ship it to another contenant.

The date for next year's show is 27-28 September 2014.

Gives you something to write in next year's diary (do people still have those?)

dan