Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on best mosquito and midge protection

C

CaliKate

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I’d be grateful of any advice on the best way to protect our California T5 and the occupants from the pesky little midges and mossies of Scotland In August.
The door screens seem a tad expensive.
Thanks all.

I’d be grateful of any advice on the best way to protect our California T5 and the occupants from the pesky little midges and mossies of Scotland In August.
The door screens seem a tad expensive.
Thanks all.
No real 100% fix for Scottish midge
They are a problem when it’s still early morning and evening but the slightest breeze they are gone so a small fan works well as does Avon soft for your skin also we have a thermacell it keeps flys midge etc away great bit of kit expensive but good.
Also the gerba midge screen are good designed for Scotland I have two which are great if you need to cook in the fan late evening or early morning.

They are a problem when it’s still early morning and evening but the slightest breeze they are gone so a small fan works well as does Avon soft for your skin also we have a thermacell it keeps flys midge etc away great bit of kit expensive but good.
Also the gerba midge screen are good designed for Scotland I have two which are great if you need to cook in the fan late evening or early morning.
Sorry jerba nets

Thank you for those top tips Defender90

invest in head nets makes walking outside possible!

We cut a midge resistant fly screen door off a tent that we could no longer get waterproof and attach it over the open sliding door if we want to reduce the amount of mosquitoes or midges in the van. Not tried in peak midge season, but better than nothing for sure.

There is a guy on YouTube who shows how to make a midge screen for the sliding door. We took inspiration and my wife ran one up with a centre zip and magnetic fixing for under £30.
Google midge net (not mozzie net).
I’ll look back to find who the guy is and who we got our net from, away camping at mo so can’t promise a speedy update here.
Don’t forget the air vents in the pop top are not midge proof, but can be made so using opened paper clips and Tesco netted veg bags (30p) if caught out on the road, as we were this week.

There is a guy on YouTube who shows how to make a midge screen for the sliding door. We took inspiration and my wife ran one up with a centre zip and magnetic fixing for under £30.
Google midge net (not mozzie net).
I’ll look back to find who the guy is and who we got our net from, away camping at mo so can’t promise a speedy update here.
Don’t forget the air vents in the pop top are not midge proof, but can be made so using opened paper clips and Tesco netted veg bags (30p) if caught out on the road, as we were this week.