Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

advice on selling our California

C

cassieD

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi there - we are new to the forum but just about to list our 2012 California Beach which we had converted to include a kitchen unit and cupboards from a Cali in Germany - thus making it a fully operational camper van! What I am after advice on is how to handle the sale of this. We will post it for sale on the forum but what I am worried about is the sale transaction - as it is obviously a fairly expensive item can I have advice on how any other members have handled the sale and how the money is changed hands? my feeling is that maybe a CHAPS transfer might be the safest with both parties going to the buyers' bank - no cheques obviously or cash - any advice gratefully received!

cheers,

Cassie

I would be interested in seeing how you added the Cali kitchen to your beach, any pics available? ;)

I would probably go with a CHAPS or immediate bank transfer too. I think you should ensure you see some ID from the buyer, proof of the buyer’s name and address – possibly a copy of a utility bill or two, too.

If you have any doubts about them, don’t hand over the car keys until you know that your bank has cleared the full payment into your account. If you are paid by cheque wait before releasing the vehicle and get confirmation the cheque has cleared. Most banks will show cheque money arriving in your account by the next working day, but this is not the same as the cheque being actually cleared.

Also would love to see pictures of your kitchen set but.

Remember the buyer will be feeling the same about paying such a large amount of money to you.

Also would love to see pictures of your kitchen set but.

Remember the buyer will be feeling the same about paying such a large amount of money to you.
that's true - all the other cars that i have sold have been part ex so this is the first private sale that we have ever done you see!

I would be interested in seeing how you added the Cali kitchen to your beach, any pics available? ;)

I would probably go with a CHAPS or immediate bank transfer too. I think you should ensure you see some ID from the buyer, proof of the buyer’s name and address – possibly a copy of a utility bill or two, too.

If you have any doubts about them, don’t hand over the car keys until you know that your bank has cleared the full payment into your account. If you are paid by cheque wait before releasing the vehicle and get confirmation the cheque has cleared. Most banks will show cheque money arriving in your account by the next working day, but this is not the same as the cheque being actually cleared.
thanks Matt - just sorting out the ad now - the kitchen was bought off ebay and came from a german cali so the kitchen was on the right side for us to take the box cupboard out and we got a van conversion place in Ayr to do the work - added electric hook up water tank and heater too so it is as good as a shop bought full cali but without the price tag! :)

Fortuntaely VW didn't make UK specific calis so the door is always on the same side :)

I have seen a cali kitchen for around £1300-1500, it would tempt me very much if I could find a way to make it removable but I suspect that would be too much difficult.

combined Interior.jpg

rockin' vans did a good job on it - there are a couple of bits where the plastic isn't quite flush but on the whole its pretty tidy!

We will post it for sale on the forum but what I am worried about is the sale transaction - as it is obviously a fairly expensive item can I have advice on how any other members have handled the sale and how the money is changed hands? my feeling is that maybe a CHAPS transfer might be the safest with both parties going to the buyers' bank - no cheques obviously or cash - any advice gratefully received!

I recently sold my Touareg and supplied the buyer with my bank details a few days before the collection day.
On the day of collection he logged onto his bank and made a payment to me, as most large banks use the FPS (Faster payment system) the transaction only took 3 hours to complete, so by the time he had driven to me, gone through the car, controls, history, had a coffee the money was in my account (just kept checking the app to see the balance arrive) then it was just a case of filling out the V5c new owner part and also printed out and both signed a copy of the 'AA buyer's/seller's contract" template downloaded from the web.
At this point the new rules state that the new buyer must tax the vehicle, so you need to allow your purchaser to use the web to tax the car.
so you can either go straight online and use the online process to tell the dvla who the new owner is and he will get an email telling him to tax it, or as I did wait 2 hours for him to drive home, then start the process online.
He will then receive the new V5c, you get a car tax refund, and there is no need to post the old V5 anymore.

PS. if you have a cherished number, you need to use the online service to put the number on retention and receive a new v5c in the post(takes 3 days) BEFORE you do the above or you will loose the right to keep your number.

PPS. don't accept a bankers draft as these can be forged and can take a week to show up by which time your car has gone and funds will be reversed!

Last edited:
Fortuntaely VW didn't make UK specific calis so the door is always on the same side :)

I have seen a cali kitchen for around £1300-1500, it would tempt me very much if I could find a way to make it removable but I suspect that would be too much difficult.

Off topic.
These second hand Cali parts must mainly come from stolen Calis.
In the last couple of years on this forum I can't remember anyone reporting an accident written off Cali in the UK but 3 have been reported stolen.
Just a thought.

Ditto re banker's draft. Even trying to pay a Halifax draft into a Halifax branch, they said the funds couldn't be guaranteed.... Yet they still charge £10 or more for the privilege.

I've got a sprinter I'll be selling privately in a couple of months and was also wondering about payments.
So once a direct bank transfer has been made and the money is showing as in your account is that cleared? ie it can't be reversed and the money disappear again?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I've got a sprinter I'll be selling privately in a couple of months and was also wondering about payments.
So once a direct bank transfer has been made and the money is showing as in your account is that cleared? ie it can't be reversed and the money disappear again?
Correct, because the transfer cannot be initiated without the funds being available.

Off topic.
These second hand Cali parts must mainly come from stolen Calis.
In the last couple of years on this forum I can't remember anyone reporting an accident written off Cali in the UK but 3 have been reported stolen.
Just a thought.

The ones I saw for sale were from a VW dealer but it is not out of the question.

The issue is its technically a modified beach, which has devalued it. And increased insurance. Pictures certainly look good but another conversion.

Ok - so I recently sold an expensive car (actually to buy our Beach - but that's another story). I checked with my bank and was horrified by the option to accept payment by cheque - I'll pass on their recommendations in case you are tempted to agree a cheque sale.

They confirmed (twice actually as I didn't believe the first time I called) that the cheque will show in 2 working days in your account - BUT the cheque writer can still cancel the cheque and your monies will be withdrawn. They advised I had to wait 8 working days before I should release the vehicle as only at that point was the money really mine.

Long story short that's what I did and there were no problems. I would recommend in future electronic bank transfer with your bank confirming by phone the money is in your account - and that it cannot now be removed.

Hope that helps!

My understanding is that if the funds used to make the transfer were fraudulent, then the transfer can be reversed well after it has hit your account
Ie, if I fraudulently obtain the use of Mr A's bank account to buy Mr B's Cali, Mr B can find himself without a Cali and without the money from the sale.
It's a disgrace there isn't a better system for large private transactions like this.

The last one I bought I did so with cash (interesting trip across London on the tube!) and went with the seller to his bank. He handed over the v5 and keys when the bank had accepted the notes.

My understanding is that if the funds used to make the transfer were fraudulent, then the transfer can be reversed well after it has hit your account
Ie, if I fraudulently obtain the use of Mr A's bank account to buy Mr B's Cali, Mr B can find himself without a Cali and without the money from the sale.
It's a disgrace there isn't a better system for large private transactions like this.

This is correct, my father in law had this when selling some plant machinery, the payment was made by bank transfer which turned out to be fraudulent and was reversed, he ended up being £2k out of pocket along with about ten other people. The only safe way is cash, even then you need to be careful for forgeries! Don't think just because the money is sitting in your account that it is safe.

Hi,
When I come to sell my Cali I will ask my solicitor to set up an Escrow account on my behalf. The solicitor holds the keys and signed V5 which is only handed over to the buyer once the money is in my solicitors account. This gives the seller and buyer comfort that they will not get stitched up.

Regards
Mike

W
Hi,
When I come to sell my Cali I will ask my solicitor to set up an Escrow account on my behalf. The solicitor holds the keys and signed V5 which is only handed over to the buyer once the money is in my solicitors account. This gives the seller and buyer comfort that they will not get stitched up.

Regards
Mike
Why your solicitor?
The buyer doesn't know him from Adam.
I've always done a cash sale at a bank. Cash in exchange for keys and V5c document. Means the buyer has to make arrangements to withdraw the cash from his bank and bring it to yours or from a more local branch of his bank.
I just don't know why banks have to make things so difficult.

W
Hi,

Regards
Mike
Why your solicitor?
The buyer doesn't know him from Adam.
I've always done a cash sale at a bank. Cash in exchange for keys and V5c document. Means the buyer has to make arrangements to withdraw the cash from his bank and bring it to yours or from a more local branch of his bank.
I just don't know why banks have to make things so difficult.

Bought mine privately recently and we agreed that the seller should go with me to the bank to see the bank produce the cheque (bankers draft) so they know it's genuine. This is money from the bank so it's assured. Hand over cheque, sign paperwork and hand over V5 new owner section.

Back