Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello! Any advice on dealer mix up please!

P

ploddinpenguin

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello,
We spent ages on this fantastic forum when spec'ing our Beach - thank you all for all the great advice!
The van arrived at the dealer today :)
Only thing is..... we ordered the DSG... and the van that's arrived is a manual - the dealer has been totally open and honest and admitted it's been a mistake during the order process. Big picture, it's really not a big problem...
We're happy enough driving a manual - it was a 'nice to have luxury' - (a bit like the entire van is a 'nice to have luxury!')
Of course we can't now order a replacement Beach to the UK....
We'd looked for second hand on the spec we were keen on - and ended up ordering new... also the low mileage van prices are HIGH - almost the same as new.

We're thinking of exploring options for reducing the price to match the manual spec.. (already had a fairly decent discount) - any advice on anything we could/should negotiation - or things we've not thought about here?

Although we're not planning on re-selling soon who know's what's round the corner - so also wondering how badly manual vs DSG would affect re-sale?

many thanks in advance for your help!

We've owned and lived with both transmissions on a T6 Beach. They're both very good.

Our real world driving experience showed that the manual version was more fuel efficient.

I can't say if this was because of a "software fix" on the 2018 DSG Beach, but our 2016 manual version was a lot more fuel efficient.

If you're used to driving a manual in other vehicles then I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. I understand that it's hugely frustrating and you'll be feeling disappointed, but use it as an opportunity to get a whopping discount off the order.

Did they discover the error before registering it in your name?

thanks blondebier.
We're excited that the van has made it to the UK - far more than we are disappointed about the mix up.
We'll get negotiating!
The dealer called me this afternoon - i think the van arrived yesterday - it's not yet registered to us (i've not signed anything - so unless they can do this without me knowing?.....)

With these types of mix ups you can generally squeeze more value for yourselves by negotiating service packages rather than cash back.

The manual is great, very easy gearbox and clutch. Big discount, free service pack, ask for 5 year extended warranty to be thrown in.

The 1st thing I EXPECT is cost of the DSG box credited to you + some extra compensation. However, personally I would not want a manual and would be 100% disappointed and very P-ed off, to the extent where they could keep it.

I would have been also happy if I hadn't driven our Cali equipped with DSG / ACC, the combination takes the van to another level. I would not go back to manual now.

I agree, the ACC and DSG live together in perfect harmony. However, the OP hasn’t said if they have ACC. If I were to lose one of the two, I think I’d rather lose DSG. I drove back from Poland after a small crash without ACC- it was painful on my ankle.

Anyway - refund of the DSG plus four free services would do it for me. I expect the garage would be reluctant to give the OP the extended warranty as they would have to pay VWUK the full cost for that themselves. The OP might be able to wrangle the extended warranty direct from VWUK if they are to blame for the mix up.

Been here before. We ordered a 180 DSG and a 140 manual arrived. Its the VW order process, change anything and it seems to default back to a base spec.

I did 6500 miles in the manual vehicle whilst they reordered ours and whilst I got use to it, the DSG / 180 was considerably better. This is the T5 so maybe the T6 is a little different?

The dealer called me this afternoon - i think the van arrived yesterday - it's not yet registered to us (i've not signed anything - so unless they can do this without me knowing?.....)

It's unlikely that they'll have registered it in your name then. The dealer will wait until they know how you’d want to proceed. There's no point in them registering it to you if you then decided to reject it.

Don't worry about residuals - you bought the right one. Beaches hold their value very well. And with the latest news that there won't be a T6.1 Beach in the UK, the last of the T6 run will be even more desirable.

Personally, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. The California is so much more than a "transmission" and I can't see either spoiling your enjoyment of it.

Ultimately only you can decide, but when you’re cruising to your next destination, trust me, the transmission will be the last thing on your mind. You’re going there in a California and you’ll make some awesome memories.

All the best, whatever you decide.

Could a DSG be retro fitted?

I'd hate to think the complexity or possible disruption to the trim / dash but may be possible at their expense...

I would not be impressed with a dealer that ordered the wrong spec. If you look on the VW used van site there seem to be a number of pre registered van with low mileage. If you decided you want them to get you a automatic I would have thought they could get a pre reg one from another dealer. However good luck if you decide the manual is OK but push for compensation.

I would not be impressed with a dealer that ordered the wrong spec. If you look on the VW used van site there seem to be a number of pre registered van with low mileage. If you decided you want them to get you a automatic I would have thought they could get a pre reg one from another dealer. However good luck if you decide the manual is OK but push for compensation.
Hidden problem with a pre-registered van can be that in the unlikely event of theft or insurance write off the value isn't based on a first owner and showroom price but on a second user basis. There can also be warranty issues as I found when I bought a Passat in that category some years ago.

When we ordered our latest Ocean we could not have a Manual, they weren't available. Having driven the DSG I can say its very good but not to the extent that people rave about them on here (But as always personal choice).
If the dealer can't get you one from another source then its accept and get the cost difference plus a sweetener. Of course they will be able to sell it if you don't want it.
Also I don't think it will effect future values, we have had two manual oceans before this one and both sold quickly.
Plus if VW aren't bringing the Beach in to the UK you will have an enviable asset.

Last edited:
Buy it and join the fold, with a manual you would be a Shepard not a sheep :thumb .

Buy it and join the fold, with a manual you would be a Shepard not a sheep :thumb .
Yep, you're right, probably a blessing in disguise, I've heard the dsg is rubbish,
better to have full control. :thumb

Hello,

thank you very much everybody for all your comments.
we went to see the van and the dealer today - they were very apologetic and i think reasonable.
so far looking at price reduction + 4 x services + extended factory warranty (5 years/80,000 miles) + paint guard thing + a few bits and bobs....
the dealer is getting back to us with final numbers etc next week......

really appreciate everybody's input - i believe there's a yellow van club somewhere?!?!

thanks again

vanwithnoname.jpg

Hello,

thank you very much everybody for all your comments.
we went to see the van and the dealer today - they were very apologetic and i think reasonable.
so far looking at price reduction + 4 x services + extended factory warranty (5 years/80,000 miles) + paint guard thing + a few bits and bobs....
the dealer is getting back to us with final numbers etc next week......

really appreciate everybody's input - i believe there's a yellow van club somewhere?!?!

thanks again

View attachment 51903
LED lights, that's a nice bus. paint guard is not worth the £ IMO ask for something else to the value of.