Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice on Wind-out Awning

A

andy&karen

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have got the Comfortz Awning Kit. It has three sides. You slide one through the channel on the front of the wind-out awning on our Cali and the other two sides zip on to the roof struts on the wind-out awning. You then peg it all out in side and out and attach guy ropes to the outer corners. Has anyone else got this? Is it safe to leave out all the time you are on site? Not sure how it would handle strong wind as the roof is just the wind-out awning. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Imo you best extra tie the whole down using the Thule tie down kit , these are strong straps to attach in the wind out awning and large pegs in the ground.
The shop sell this

Last edited:
There are some posts on this and I recall members saying they have left the awning room out in strong winds with the tie down kit.
It’s always a judgement call. If I suspected high winds I used the Vango Kela without the awning wound out. Just to be sure.

Imo you best extra tie the whole down using the Thule tie down kit , these are strong straps to attach in the wind out awning and large pegs in the ground.
The shop sell this
Thanks for the info about these straps. I am happy that the wind-out awning frame is held down ok with the sides. Just wondered if there has ever been an occasion when the awning top has ripped off the frame as that is the part that hasn't got extra straps or pegs, even with this kit.

There are some posts on this and I recall members saying they have left the awning room out in strong winds with the tie down kit.
It’s always a judgement call. If I suspected high winds I used the Vango Kela without the awning wound out. Just to be sure.
Thanks for advice. Thought as much. Don't think I would sleep if the wind started increasing....

Take my advice and use the Thule tie down kit .
The pegs in the sides do not hold the awning down in wind.
Look up some existing threads of people having theire wind out awning blown over theire Cali.

Take my advice and use the Thule tie down kit .
The pegs in the sides do not hold the awning down in wind.
Look up some existing threads of people having theire wind out awning blown over theire Cali.
Not sure if there are any where a Comfortz room (or similar) or a Vango type awning have been used?

Good afternoon Andy & Karen,

we have the Comfortz Awning Kit as well. I like it because for me it is a good compromise between providing shelter, extra room, price, weight and ease of setting up.

But I was (and maybe still) be a little bit worried when it is breezy or even windy.

Before we got the Awning Kit I got the "Brandrup Tie Down Kit" from the store:

1598022931793.png

But this won't do it if the awning is up. With the front part of the awning in place, there is no room for the tie down kit.

So I got the following from the store:

1598023027965.png

We have not used it as such, but it is a big bigger than expected. But I believe it will do the job. During our holiday in July I used the plastic pegs to fix the legs. I think there are two issues doing so. 1.) if the peg is too big it will damage the little foot of the leg and 2.) because the foot of the leg is rather small there is a chance to damage the leg while you hammer the peg into the ground. Because of this I got the "Awning Secure Plate".

Also we got the following pegs from the store:

1598023217259.png

Using the plastic pegs from the Comfortz Awning Kit I managed to damage 2x or 3x on hard ground.

The next time using the awning (hopefully in October - Covid permitting) I will secure the awning like this:

1.) Use the awning plate
2.) Use the better, longer pegs
3.) Use the Brandup Tie Down kit

I hope with this the awning will be kind of ok. Never the less, if the wind gets too strong we will get the awning in, because all pressure from the wind through the sheets will go straight into the arms of the awning.

What I am not quite sure is of how to secure (peg) the awning in the first place (please don't laugh). Let me explane:

The Comfortz Awning Kit came only with plastic pegs and some rubber loops with a ball at the end. One side it is important to put some tension on the awning sheets, on the other side I ask myself are the arms of the awning strong enough to hold this tension.

I found this picture somewhere:

1598023602418.png

I haven't tried this yet (firstly we didn't get the steel pegs with the awning), but I will try it the next time.

How do you "peg down" the Comfortz Awning Kit?

Happy California,
Eberhard

We have the comfortz awning room and had it for 4 years..If you see how many pegs you have to use to peg it down it would take a hurricane to do any damage but if you want to be on the safe side we use a length of nylon washing line tied on the end of the awning and pegged down. To help the rain to drain off better because it needs to be fairly level we use a fiamia Rafter pro. That’s a handy bit of kit.

we have the Comfortz Awning Kit as well. I like it because for me it is a good compromise between providing shelter, extra room, price, weight and ease of setting up.

But I was (and maybe still) be a little bit worried when it is breezy or even windy.

View attachment 64793

But this won't do it if the awning is up. With the front part of the awning in place, there is no room for the tie down kit.

View attachment 64794

We have not used it as such, but it is a big bigger than expected. But I believe it will do the job. During our holiday in July I used the plastic pegs to fix the legs. I think there are two issues doing so. 1.) if the peg is too big it will damage the little foot of the leg and 2.) because the foot of the leg is rather small there is a chance to damage the leg while you hammer the peg into the ground. Because of this I got the "Awning Secure Plate".

View attachment 64798

Using the plastic pegs from the Comfortz Awning Kit I managed to damage 2x or 3x on hard ground.

The next time using the awning (hopefully in October - Covid permitting) I will secure the awning like this:

1.) Use the awning plate

I hope with this the awning will be kind of ok. Never the less, if the wind gets too strong we will get the awning in, because all pressure from the wind through the sheets will go straight into the arms of the awning.

What I am not quite sure is of how to secure (peg) the awning in the first place (please don't laugh). Let me explane:

The Comfortz Awning Kit came only with plastic pegs and some rubber loops with a ball at the end. One side it is important to put some tension on the awning sheets, on the other side I ask myself are the arms of the awning strong enough to hold this tension.

View attachment 64801

I haven't tried this yet (firstly we didn't get the steel pegs with the awning), but I will try it the next time.

Happy California,
Eberhard
The Brandrup tie down kit uses the front awning slot that we use for the Thule front panel so is a none starter. Their are any number of suitable ropes that can be looped through the holes at the top of the legs, much cheaper and in my opinion a stronger and more versatile option.
We do use a Fiamma curved strut to reduce the chance of rain water accumulating together with an exaggerated slope on the awning, the combination works for us.
The feet are always fitted with steel pegs just slim enough to fit the holes, there should be no lifting due to the retaining ropes and side panels being pegged down and are just required for positional security.

View attachment 64793

View attachment 64794

View attachment 64798

1.) Use the awning plate

View attachment 64801

Happy California,
Eberhard
Looking at the picture you put on this is not the correct way to put it up.
The black shiny plastic bit should go inside then you fit your groundsheet over that..