Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice Please (What are the best routes when driving to Spain from Calais )

Cali-61-180-SE

Cali-61-180-SE

Hi All,

Note: Don't want ferry route.
My 2 week plan :

London - Calais (by ferry)
Calais - Barcelona
and
Valencia - Murcia - cartagena - Almeria - Malaga - Gibraltar

and back to Home

Quetions:
1: is that feasible or not in 2 week time?
2: has any one done before? (obviously many)
3: where i stop in between calais to Barcelona for a night? is one night stop is ok or need 2 night stop?
4: Best and cheapest route (cheapest not compulsory if possible ;) )
5: return route from Gibraltar to Calais?
6: is any thing special need to go Spain (any documents or any other travel requirements).
7: good campsites? (if possible)?
8: etc.

thanks
JK

I reckon the hardest bit will be getting to Calais!
we went as far south as Girona at easter & are just planning a last minute summer trip basic route is - Paris- then (E11 to Orleans then A75 - clermont- Ferrand - BeZiers Perpignan - Gerona. with a Sanef Toll Tag for speed through the tolls, we did it in about 11 hours actual driving time at or just above the speed limit all the way.

Tolls I think were about £85 each way

Actual timings were something like - 10pm euro star - loose an hour due to time difference - drive as far as I feel awake = Orleans 2am stop at service area for sleep 8.30 am breakfast & set off, Millau bridge stop for lunch & first fuel stop, 4pm arrive Costa Brava.

(for you that is about the half way point!!!!)

This was fully loaded with 5 in a 140 Cali - cruised very quietly at an indicated 90mph which was really a sat nav 85mph so just over the limit & was getting about 36mpg

Coming back we made a big mistake of leaving late morning which meant I was getting tired as it got dark & hit paris at 11pm on a sunday evening with nowhere to stop. this time we will probably spend the day at the beach & leave early evening drive for say 5 hours, stop for the night & do the balance in the morning.

It was a bit of a slog but it got us a cheap week away in the sun & wasn't so bad as we are about to do it again. It has taken us almost as long to get back from Cornwall on occasions!

Calais to Gib 24hrs driving, not taking into account rests or stopovers
Barcelona is a good 12hr drive from calais
I think at least 2 nights.
2500km distance to Gib. would it not be more sensible to go via santander ? you'll have to take into account tolls, fuel used, campsites, food, etc etc

John

Hi Jeet2uk----surely the whole point of having a camper / cali is to have the flexibility to stop just about wherever you want ( within reason : ) ).
You will be missing out on so much by adopting an A-B strategy in such a relatively short a set time span.
Is Gibralter really that exciting ?....if it is , it must have changed enormously since I was last there.
Unless Gibralter is essential why not reassess the trip and take in some of the wonders of France and Northern Spain and halve your journey in the process.The weather will be great right up till the end of September and beyond if you are anywhere near the Med.

Thanks all for reply.
i am little confused and doing some workout to fiend good places to visit in Spain.

Please help and give me some good visiting places or city list if possible?

thanks
JK

Pico mountains northern Spain are well worth a visit.

Hi Jeet2uk----surely the whole point of having a camper / cali is to have the flexibility to stop just about wherever you want ( within reason : ) ).
You will be missing out on so much by adopting an A-B strategy in such a relatively short a set time span.
Is Gibralter really that exciting ?....if it is , it must have changed enormously since I was last there.
Unless Gibralter is essential why not reassess the trip and take in some of the wonders of France and Northern Spain and halve your journey in the process.The weather will be great right up till the end of September and beyond if you are anywhere near the Med.
Gibraltar ! Well could be exciting, depends what you look out for. Safer than Spain for sure, good climate, Britain in the sun. Good pubs, good foods and fabulous fish and chips.

Hi All,

Note: Don't want ferry route.
My 2 week plan :

London - Calais (by ferry)
Calais - Barcelona
and
Valencia - Murcia - cartagena - Almeria - Malaga - Gibraltar

and back to Home

Quetions:
1: is that feasible or not in 2 week time?
2: has any one done before? (obviously many)
3: where i stop in between calais to Barcelona for a night? is one night stop is ok or need 2 night stop?
4: Best and cheapest route (cheapest not compulsory if possible ;) )
5: return route from Gibraltar to Calais?
6: is any thing special need to go Spain (any documents or any other travel requirements).
7: good campsites? (if possible)?
8: etc.

thanks
JK
I would use Channel Tunnel, quicker and less hassle. You stay in your Cali and are there in less than 45 mins. Drive to Paris, if you don’t mind the traffic. If you are just driving past sight seeing or can park outside and use public transport and underground.
Drive to Lyon, then head of to Barcelona, can stop over in Andorra also before Gerona and Barcelona,
then head down to Tarragona you can then branch off Zaragoza and keep to the centre or head Valencia and stay on the coast side. Benidorm, Alicante Murcia and then Granada or Almeria but although coast road it puts more mileage on. Then Malaga down to Gibraltar. Good sightseeing, replenish with British food and cheaper fuel, etc. Going back I would go the other coast way, that is Cadiz route, or cut off to Jerez then Seville up to Huelva can go into Portugal and head up that way or stay in Spain, I am sure the GPS would give you both routes. No toll roads this side if you using motorways. If you keep to Spain it is head to Burgos and then to Bilbao Santander.
Many campsites along the way. If not download yourself the App Park4night.
Find a spot and sleep the night get moving the next morning and you can do it in two weeks.depending on what you fancy, you can spend more time in south of France many nice places to visit in both directions I have given you.
Happy to give you more information. Done these routes and more many times.prefer driving to flying.
Documents at present you are ok with what you have in UK. Need a green card insurance to drive in the continent and as of June they might want an international drivers licence.

I would use Channel Tunnel, quicker and less hassle. You stay in your Cali and are there in less than 45 mins. Drive to Paris, if you don’t mind the traffic. If you are just driving past sight seeing or can park outside and use public transport and underground.
Drive to Lyon, then head of to Barcelona, can stop over in Andorra also before Gerona and Barcelona,
then head down to Tarragona you can then branch off Zaragoza and keep to the centre or head Valencia and stay on the coast side. Benidorm, Alicante Murcia and then Granada or Almeria but although coast road it puts more mileage on. Then Malaga down to Gibraltar. Good sightseeing, replenish with British food and cheaper fuel, etc. Going back I would go the other coast way, that is Cadiz route, or cut off to Jerez then Seville up to Huelva can go into Portugal and head up that way or stay in Spain, I am sure the GPS would give you both routes. No toll roads this side if you using motorways. If you keep to Spain it is head to Burgos and then to Bilbao Santander.
Many campsites along the way. If not download yourself the App Park4night.
Find a spot and sleep the night get moving the next morning and you can do it in two weeks.depending on what you fancy, you can spend more time in south of France many nice places to visit in both directions I have given you.
Happy to give you more information. Done these routes and more many times.prefer driving to flying.
Documents at present you are ok with what you have in UK. Need a green card insurance to drive in the continent and as of June they might want an international drivers licence.
from the GOV.uk site today

Spain (including Balearic and Canary Isles)NoneYou do not need an IDP to drive here for periods up to 6 months.

Must have the Photo ID Type UK licence not an old paper one.

Back