Advise on Amsterdam visit and camping

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Thinking of visiting Amsterdam the weekend from 30may - 2june coming.
Nerver been there so tips welcome specialy on where to stay the night .
Found 4 sites close to the city

As we probaly stay at one place to visit the city a campsite is first choice over free aires without facilties .
Tips from our Dutch friends welcome !

I might quote a member of this forum here: use the search function :))

Some fifteen kilometers nothwest of Amsterdam you’ ll find a small nice camping Het Rietveen. By bus 10 minutes to the metro station, then a few minutes to the city centre. By bike half an hour ride to the centre. Don’t forget to lock your bikes in town with at least three massive steel bicycle locks.
www.campinghetrietveen.nl

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Shame you are not a couple of weeks later - The Amsterdam Open Garden weekend is a real eye-opener to see many parts of the city that you never normally get access to. Some of them are really beautiful, and a lot of variety.
Fri 14-Sun16 June this year.

Stayed at camping zeeburg last June, fantastic site but can get a bit bonkers on the weekends

@marchugo , feel free to search on the forum providing existing treads about staying in or near Amsterdam that not are about the four sites i have quoted.

Would be nice of you to show the forumtreads i've missed ....

Rietveen looks very nice , green invirement :thumb
Is Hemelvaartsdag 30may a official holliday , shops closed in Holland ?
We have the day of work that day in Belgium .

Hoping for a stay close to center prefer public transport if further away , as the wife probally still gonne have trouble riding a bike after surgery recent (cancer treathment)
We want to go out for short break after a very emotional periode.

This is added to the list , alltough not my favorit .
Maybe one night and then move on to a campsite.

Tips on things to do also welcome .
I like vintage / antique shops and fleamarkets .
Need i see the red light district ?
Witch streets have the nicest shops , not the big warehouses like H&M but special shops with small independent brands.

Also need to check out a weekend pass for public transport if availeble

Thinking of visiting Amsterdam the weekend from 30may - 2june coming.
Nerver been there so tips welcome specialy on where to stay the night .
Found 4 sites close to the city

As we probaly stay at one place to visit the city a campsite is first choice over free aires without facilties .
Tips from our Dutch friends welcome !
Stayed at Gaasper camping about this time last year, short walk to Metro station that goes directly into centre of town, ideal.

Would be nice of you to show the forumtreads i've missed ....

Is Hemelvaartsdag 30may a official holliday , shops closed in Holland ?
We have the day of work that day in Belgium .

- https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/netherlands-bulbfield-trip.27742/#post-318755

-30th of May, Ascention Day, is a holiday in the Netherlands, but in Amsterdam some shops are open.

- the period between Ascention Day and Pentacost is high tourist season, I doubt if you will find a place on campings without making a reservation in time. This is the case for almost all campings everywhere in Holland.
During last Easter the big whites were illegally double parking in the streets of central Amsterdam:

I’m really sorry to hear about the illness, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you both.

Marc.

I'm not making reservations at a campsite , if there's no place we just move on or stealth camp
In the past we usual did not go to large city's but since we had our beloved dog go in january we now want to explore some city's not have to worry about having a dog .

We stayed near Leuven and got the train in. We paid for a water tour with prebooked tickets for Rjinks museum etc. It saved us time and money then. Kiosk outside the main station. Couldn't have been better.

I was fortunate to live in the centre of Amsterdam for a year, and still love the memories of taking my motor boat along the canal to work.
On a Saturday morning there is a very nice outdoor food market just to the west of the centre (Noordermarkt ) and some of the fresh and smoked fish is amazing. Very pleasant around the streets and canals from there down to the south towards the slightly touristy "9 streets" area, but some very interesting small shops and cafes. Can be very busy around places like the Anne Frank museum, but just a short distance away can be much quieter. A very good way to have a look around the city without too much walking on cobbled streets is by hiring a boat or a boat tour. Some lovely areas outside the city too - like Broek in Waterland a small town criss-crossed with canals and you can hire boats to have an explore.
Hope you have a great trip

Back