Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

After five years of dreaming, we've finally taken the leap!

C

CaliKate

Guest User
Hello there! I'm Kate. Just ordered our new VW California Ocean and haven't stopped smiling since. I've been lurking on this forum for some time and thought, well, as we've finally bought a camper, then I'm definitely worthy of joining you.

First of all, thanks for all your tips and advice. To make our dream come true, we've considered every option and have often turned to this website for help. From a Toyota Alphard conversion at Wellhouse to a second-hand Cali, that's no more than four years old... We've even considered buying an old or new Transporter and going with a conversion company, too. At the end of the day, we opted for a new Cali Beach because we think it's the best option for us.

A little more about who we are. We're a married couple living in Manchester. No kids (on purpose – I love kids and am proud aunty to nephews, it just wasn't for us)! We both run our own businesses and we've worked damn hard over the last 10 years. After a few family incidents (heart attacks and cancer, although everyone is thankfully recovering), plus the fact that we've just turned 40, made us realise that life is indeed too short. And that we should just go for it.

It's difficult to write this, given how lucky we've been. But it's been tough and we're ready to take the foot off the gas. It won't be easy. We've still got a few life tweaks to make, too (moving to cheaper house and lifestyle). Overall, the VW Cali represents a fresh start. An exciting new adventure. One we've been craving for such a long time.

I guess I could no longer see myself in the life I'd worked so hard to create. Does that make sense? I know my hubby feels the same way. Perhaps I'm thinking into this way too much. All I know is that I can't stop imagining myself sat on the step, wearing a cosy hoody and sipping tea, as I look out onto some beautiful view somewhere in the world. Feeling at peace and content. Not anchored down or pressured to work 24/7. The freedom to roam. To explore.

I can't wait for our new adventure to begin!

Of course, I meant Ocean! In my excitement I said 'Beach'! When, I meant Ocean. Is there any way to edit posts? Ha! Not a good start!

Welcome Kate and husband :welcome
A decision you won't regret and I can feel your excitement at the adventures to come.
Hope to meet you at a Cali gathering in the not too distant future and look forward to seeing the photos when your Ocean arrives :thumb

Welcome Kate and husband :welcome
A decision you won't regret and I can feel your excitement at the adventures to come.
Hope to meet you at a Cali gathering in the not too distant future and look forward to seeing the photos when your Ocean arrives :thumb

Thanks, Gillian. I didn't even realise you had gatherings! Lovely to meet you and yep, I'll share some pics once we get "Jack" in September. Yippeeeee!

Welcome Kate, husband and Jack!

Good to read how things are going in a positive way! Superb!
September is soon and a good time to start with California-ing!
Happy camping!

Last edited:
Hello there! I'm Kate. Just ordered our new VW California Ocean and haven't stopped smiling since. I've been lurking on this forum for some time and thought, well, as we've finally bought a camper, then I'm definitely worthy of joining you.

First of all, thanks for all your tips and advice. To make our dream come true, we've considered every option and have often turned to this website for help. From a Toyota Alphard conversion at Wellhouse to a second-hand Cali, that's no more than four years old... We've even considered buying an old or new Transporter and going with a conversion company, too. At the end of the day, we opted for a new Cali Beach because we think it's the best option for us.

A little more about who we are. We're a married couple living in Manchester. No kids (on purpose – I love kids and am proud aunty to nephews, it just wasn't for us)! We both run our own businesses and we've worked damn hard over the last 10 years. After a few family incidents (heart attacks and cancer, although everyone is thankfully recovering), plus the fact that we've just turned 40, made us realise that life is indeed too short. And that we should just go for it.

It's difficult to write this, given how lucky we've been. But it's been tough and we're ready to take the foot off the gas. It won't be easy. We've still got a few life tweaks to make, too (moving to cheaper house and lifestyle). Overall, the VW Cali represents a fresh start. An exciting new adventure. One we've been craving for such a long time.

I guess I could no longer see myself in the life I'd worked so hard to create. Does that make sense? I know my hubby feels the same way. Perhaps I'm thinking into this way too much. All I know is that I can't stop imagining myself sat on the step, wearing a cosy hoody and sipping tea, as I look out onto some beautiful view somewhere in the world. Feeling at peace and content. Not anchored down or pressured to work 24/7. The freedom to roam. To explore.

:welcome Exciting times ahead

Thanks Sapto and BeagleMum! I don't think it's quite sunk in yet. I keep thinking, did we buy a camper van?... Yes, yes we did. And then having mini panics about the cost and then calming down after much discussion, justifying our decision. o_O:D

That will soon change into having mini picnics. :welcome
Enjoy.

So this is quite normal then? A side effect of the purchasing process? Do you know how many "sanity checks" we've had over the last few weeks! :D

So this is quite normal then? A side effect of the purchasing process? Do you know how many "sanity checks" we've had over the last few weeks! :D
You will love it and then you´´ll re-check your sanity checks and wonder why
you didn't do it earlier. :)

Love your story, we are only a couple of weeks ahead of you on our journey and sounds like a similar life although we are still tied somewhat to work. Its interesting to see there are so many of us that have been prompted to adopt the 'Cali way' because of some serious life events, i hope you have a fantastic time on your adventures to come......

How nice to read such a detailed 'hello' post. Others, who just write "hi, I just bought a Cali" should take note.
If I can be any help to @CaliKate and hubby, please get in touch, as I'm only on the outskirts of Manchester.

Of course, I meant Ocean! In my excitement I said 'Beach'! When, I meant Ocean. Is there any way to edit posts? Ha! Not a good start!
Life's a beach. Welcome.

We started off with the Toyota Alphard conversion idea too and ended up with a brand new beach. You won’t regret your ocean, or your decision to make the big lifestyle changes, good for you for taking the leap of faith! Lots of lovely times are ahead :bananadance2

Welcome ... and you will never be the same again, we are into our 4th month of Cali Ocean ownership and each day when I pass BB in the driveway I have to pinch myself that we own this wonderful 'life changing' vehicle ... our dog loves it too !

CaliKate said:
Hi Kate, we bought our new Cali exactly 1 year ago and I understand your "sanity checks" completely, I went though exactly the same process!! "Have we done the right thing" - "It's an awful lot of money to spend" etc, etc. One year on and all that seems like the distant past and what a complete waste of time worrying. Just to reassure you we do not regret our purchase in fact as most folk are saying - I wish we had been able to do it sooner. We set off on various short trips/adventures just to get the hang of it and had a ball getting all the bits and pieces sorted out and we're just back from our latest trip taking in France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, England and Scotland. The amount of fun we've had can't be measured. All the best for your new adventures
Regards M

Last edited:
For 15 years we did our touring on a Suzuki Hayabusa but on our last trip 4 years ago It rained and rained and rained. Thats when we said 15 years is enough lets try something different. Looked at Motorhomes but too big for the tight little french villages. Looked at VW conversions, they just didnt look right. Saw the California and that was it. Its a great little van and does everything we want. Never regretted getting one in Red either. Enjoy your new Toy....

Love your story, we are only a couple of weeks ahead of you on our journey and sounds like a similar life although we are still tied somewhat to work. Its interesting to see there are so many of us that have been prompted to adopt the 'Cali way' because of some serious life events, i hope you have a fantastic time on your adventures to come......

Thank you! Nice to meet you. I hope your life events haven't been too traumatic. I guess with everything that's happened to us, we really thought – what are we doing? Why are we working so hard when we don't really have to? Why not take more time off? It's been a dream for so long and we thought, sod it. Fight the fear and do it anyway! (And since when did "fear" become a thing? I NEVER used to be afraid of adventure. But getting older has made me more cautious and I hate that. Yes, you've got to think of your future but surely there's a better way than the "treadmill"?)

How nice to read such a detailed 'hello' post. Others, who just write "hi, I just bought a Cali" should take note.
If I can be any help to @CaliKate and hubby, please get in touch, as I'm only on the outskirts of Manchester.

That's very kind. Thank you! A fellow Northerner! :cool: I can't believe I'm talking to other campers about this. It still hasn't sunk in!!

We started off with the Toyota Alphard conversion idea too and ended up with a brand new beach. You won’t regret your ocean, or your decision to make the big lifestyle changes, good for you for taking the leap of faith! Lots of lovely times are ahead :bananadance2

Thanks so much! We went to a caravan/motorhome show with the intention of purchasing an Alphard, this was earlier this year. But made the lethal move to sit in a few VW Transporter conversions first. After experiencing VW and then sitting in the Alphard conversion, I just couldn't do it. They're lovely. Don't get me wrong. But the way the popped roof is done – with the AC units down each side – it felt too narrow and therefore claustrophobic. For me, anyway. I'd been spoilt by the VW Transporters.

So we were considering a conversion for a few months. Then a friend of ours bought a second hand California and explained why. We learnt about all the pros of the factory-built VW option and realised that they hold their value so well, we might as well go "new" instead. Gosh.

It's only been the last 18 months that we've considered our options but we've been talking about it for at least five or six years. What a dream come true! What was your experience with the Alphard?

Welcome ... and you will never be the same again, we are into our 4th month of Cali Ocean ownership and each day when I pass BB in the driveway I have to pinch myself that we own this wonderful 'life changing' vehicle ... our dog loves it too !
Thanks for the welcome! And wow, you sound made up. I'm so glad we've gone for it. I don't think we'll regret it!

Hi Kate, we bought our new Cali exactly 1 year ago and I understand your "sanity checks" completely, I went though exactly the same process!! "Have we done the right thing" - "It's an awful lot of money to spend" etc, etc. One year on and all that seems like the distant past and what a complete waste of time worrying. Just to reassure you we do not regret our purchase in fact as most folk are saying - I wish we had been able to do it sooner. We set off on various short trips/adventures just to get the hang of it and had a ball getting all the bits and pieces sorted out and we're just back from our latest trip taking in France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Netherlands, England and Scotland. The amount of fun we've had can't be measured. All the best for your new adventures
Regards M

Oh my gosh. Thanks for taking the time to write that. I can't wait now! France is our first big trip planned. And then the Dolomites. Bikes on the back. Oh my gawd! I can't believe it. Thank you!

For 15 years we did our touring on a Suzuki Hayabusa but on our last trip 4 years ago It rained and rained and rained. Thats when we said 15 years is enough lets try something different. Looked at Motorhomes but too big for the tight little french villages. Looked at VW conversions, they just didnt look right. Saw the California and that was it. Its a great little van and does everything we want. Never regretted getting one in Red either. Enjoy your new Toy....

Oh wow. It's the French villages I'm looking forward to the most. Waking up to walk out to a local market, purchase some fresh food and then cook back at the van. Before going for a nice bike ride and then back to the van for sunset and enjoy a nice BBQ! Wow wow wow! :D

Back