Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

After five years of dreaming, we've finally taken the leap!

Thank you! Nice to meet you. I hope your life events haven't been too traumatic. I guess with everything that's happened to us, we really thought – what are we doing? Why are we working so hard when we don't really have to? Why not take more time off? It's been a dream for so long and we thought, sod it. Fight the fear and do it anyway! (And since when did "fear" become a thing? I NEVER used to be afraid of adventure. But getting older has made me more cautious and I hate that. Yes, you've got to think of your future but surely there's a better way than the "treadmill"?)
And you really think that reaching 40 is old???? NOOOOOOOO think again in 30 years..

And you really think that reaching 40 is old???? NOOOOOOOO think again in 30 years..

Haha! I don't at all. I'm 40 going on 21! But I just thought. What's holding us back? What are we afraid of? Why do we allow life to grind us down sometimes? I think we lost ourselves a little bit along the way. Got into a routine of hard work. I am sooooo glad we've had this realisation and are taking steps to change our lifestyle!

HI CaliKate,
I joined the forum yesterday and yours was the first post I read after the forum encouraged me to introduce myself. Your post almost brought a tear to my eye :)
You sound so similar to my husband and I. Same age give or take a few years and no kids etc. We are yet to buy our first van but have been toying with the idea for a year or so and have flitted back and forth between new, old, motorhome, caravan and have come full circle back to Cali we just have to save some money now for a bit of a deposit.
Looking forward to seeing how it pans out for you, or maybe you will be having too much fun to come back and post :) I hope, and am pretty certain it will be, everything you have dreamed of and then some!
Enjoy x

HI CaliKate,
I joined the forum yesterday and yours was the first post I read after the forum encouraged me to introduce myself. Your post almost brought a tear to my eye :)
You sound so similar to my husband and I. Same age give or take a few years and no kids etc. We are yet to buy our first van but have been toying with the idea for a year or so and have flitted back and forth between new, old, motorhome, caravan and have come full circle back to Cali we just have to save some money now for a bit of a deposit.
Looking forward to seeing how it pans out for you, or maybe you will be having too much fun to come back and post :) I hope, and am pretty certain it will be, everything you have dreamed of and then some!
Enjoy x

Well, I certainly didn't want to make anyone cry!! :oops::) But I'm glad I was a positive influence. It's a very big decision. And not an easy one to make. And thank you. I'll be back on here regularly, I'm sure. Now we've just got be a little more patient and wait for the Cali to be delivered! Good luck with your own journey. Message me if you have any questions!

Wonderful - well done you for being brave and making the leap - a fantastic way to live :) Life is short - you have to be happy or else what is the point! x

Hello there! I'm Kate. Just ordered our new VW California Ocean and haven't stopped smiling since. I've been lurking on this forum for some time and thought, well, as we've finally bought a camper, then I'm definitely worthy of joining you.

First of all, thanks for all your tips and advice. To make our dream come true, we've considered every option and have often turned to this website for help. From a Toyota Alphard conversion at Wellhouse to a second-hand Cali, that's no more than four years old... We've even considered buying an old or new Transporter and going with a conversion company, too. At the end of the day, we opted for a new Cali Beach because we think it's the best option for us.

A little more about who we are. We're a married couple living in Manchester. No kids (on purpose – I love kids and am proud aunty to nephews, it just wasn't for us)! We both run our own businesses and we've worked damn hard over the last 10 years. After a few family incidents (heart attacks and cancer, although everyone is thankfully recovering), plus the fact that we've just turned 40, made us realise that life is indeed too short. And that we should just go for it.

It's difficult to write this, given how lucky we've been. But it's been tough and we're ready to take the foot off the gas. It won't be easy. We've still got a few life tweaks to make, too (moving to cheaper house and lifestyle). Overall, the VW Cali represents a fresh start. An exciting new adventure. One we've been craving for such a long time.

I guess I could no longer see myself in the life I'd worked so hard to create. Does that make sense? I know my hubby feels the same way. Perhaps I'm thinking into this way too much. All I know is that I can't stop imagining myself sat on the step, wearing a cosy hoody and sipping tea, as I look out onto some beautiful view somewhere in the world. Feeling at peace and content. Not anchored down or pressured to work 24/7. The freedom to roam. To explore.

I can't wait for our new adventure to begin!
Hello Calikate what an interesting thread this is. I feel like saying 'stop worrying and just do it!'. Anyone who has the money to buy a cali is lucky and we are no exception. We bought ours more or less spontaneously after my husband put his back out in a holiday cottage bed for the third time . He spent the whole week disabled while I looked for solutions. I saw the sprung slats on this vw camper (never heard of it nor considered a camper van before) that was just like our good bed at home and decided we must buy a portable bed (ie camper) otherwise we could never go on holiday again. Also we'd just got a new big dog and needed a bigger car. We more or less saw a brand new ocean in the showroom when we got home, they offered it us and we bought it! Talk about spur of the moment. No agonising no worries. (We did test the bed out by hiring one for three nights before we were totally committed) What convinced us was that at the time (summer) second hand ones were more expensive! If you change your mind in a year or two you'll not have lost much. Just enjoy the adventure and stop worrying. I get a kick out of just sitting in ours on the drive or going out for the day with the dogs and parking up somewhere nice for tea. As do lots of others on here. Don't know why (answers on a postcard?) but who cares? It's exciting.

Hello Calikate what an interesting thread this is. I feel like saying 'stop worrying and just do it!'. Anyone who has the money to buy a cali is lucky and we are no exception. We bought ours more or less spontaneously after my husband put his back out in a holiday cottage bed for the third time . He spent the whole week disabled while I looked for solutions. I saw the sprung slats on this vw camper (never heard of it nor considered a camper van before) that was just like our good bed at home and decided we must buy a portable bed (ie camper) otherwise we could never go on holiday again. Also we'd just got a new big dog and needed a bigger car. We more or less saw a brand new ocean in the showroom when we got home, they offered it us and we bought it! Talk about spur of the moment. No agonising no worries. (We did test the bed out by hiring one for three nights before we were totally committed) What convinced us was that at the time (summer) second hand ones were more expensive! If you change your mind in a year or two you'll not have lost much. Just enjoy the adventure and stop worrying. I get a kick out of just sitting in ours on the drive or going out for the day with the dogs and parking up somewhere nice for tea. As do lots of others on here. Don't know why (answers on a postcard?) but who cares? It's exciting.
Hello there! I'm Kate. Just ordered our new VW California Ocean and haven't stopped smiling since. I've been lurking on this forum for some time and thought, well, as we've finally bought a camper, then I'm definitely worthy of joining you.

First of all, thanks for all your tips and advice. To make our dream come true, we've considered every option and have often turned to this website for help. From a Toyota Alphard conversion at Wellhouse to a second-hand Cali, that's no more than four years old... We've even considered buying an old or new Transporter and going with a conversion company, too. At the end of the day, we opted for a new Cali Beach because we think it's the best option for us.

A little more about who we are. We're a married couple living in Manchester. No kids (on purpose – I love kids and am proud aunty to nephews, it just wasn't for us)! We both run our own businesses and we've worked damn hard over the last 10 years. After a few family incidents (heart attacks and cancer, although everyone is thankfully recovering), plus the fact that we've just turned 40, made us realise that life is indeed too short. And that we should just go for it.

It's difficult to write this, given how lucky we've been. But it's been tough and we're ready to take the foot off the gas. It won't be easy. We've still got a few life tweaks to make, too (moving to cheaper house and lifestyle). Overall, the VW Cali represents a fresh start. An exciting new adventure. One we've been craving for such a long time.

I guess I could no longer see myself in the life I'd worked so hard to create. Does that make sense? I know my hubby feels the same way. Perhaps I'm thinking into this way too much. All I know is that I can't stop imagining myself sat on the step, wearing a cosy hoody and sipping tea, as I look out onto some beautiful view somewhere in the world. Feeling at peace and content. Not anchored down or pressured to work 24/7. The freedom to roam. To explore.

I can't wait for our new adventure to begin!
What an amazing post. Brought more than a tear to my eye. I am 47. Left my super stressful job end of May. Had my Cali since December and never used it (so immersed in work and stress). Ended up with high blood pressure and on trial medication. Advertised my van a few weeks back thinking oh god it’s too much money to sit in the garage blah blah. Then I thought come on, let’s book a few nights to give it a go. Well, here I am on my 9th consecutive night away in it, having explored Cambridge, Norwich, Norfolk, Suffolk, and now Cheddar and then Bristol and Bath. So many lovely sites (caravan club mainly). Lovely people. Chilled atmosphere. More pictures on my phone than I’ve taken all year. And some of the best nights sleep I’ve had in ages. The van has brought so much pleasure in just a few days and now I think how could I have considered selling! In summary I’m sure you will enjoy the Ocean and all the adventures it brings. You’ll never look back.

I hope your husband is ok now! I'm familiar with bad backs and necks. Such a pain when they "go". Thanks for such a kind reply. I'm feeling emotional now, as August seems to be flying past! Not long to go until our dream comes true!!

What an amazing post. Brought more than a tear to my eye. I am 47. Left my super stressful job end of May. Had my Cali since December and never used it (so immersed in work and stress). Ended up with high blood pressure and on trial medication. Advertised my van a few weeks back thinking oh god it’s too much money to sit in the garage blah blah. Then I thought come on, let’s book a few nights to give it a go. Well, here I am on my 9th consecutive night away in it, having explored Cambridge, Norwich, Norfolk, Suffolk, and now Cheddar and then Bristol and Bath. So many lovely sites (caravan club mainly). Lovely people. Chilled atmosphere. More pictures on my phone than I’ve taken all year. And some of the best nights sleep I’ve had in ages. The van has brought so much pleasure in just a few days and now I think how could I have considered selling! In summary I’m sure you will enjoy the Ocean and all the adventures it brings. You’ll never look back.

Hi Paul! I'm sorry to hear you've been stressed. But super glad you got out in your van and enjoyed some chill time. I hope you find balance, too, and that the van gives you some further peace. I'm hoping for that same feeling soon. Can't wait!!

Hi Calikate

The dichotomy of owing a Cali is that you probably have had to endure a stressful work life balance to be able to afford one in the first place !

The realisation that the previous X amounts of years of stressful work creeping up on you causing an unintentional misery is what many have experienced Imo

Vanlife becomes the antidepressant for the daily grind and facilitates the life style changes you crave.

I can see you now, on that step with your hoodie on, cuppa in hand, thinking, we should have done this years ago (back to the opening statement). Post a piccy or two when the eagle has landed of you doing just that!

Enjoy your new found freedom :bananadance2:pinkbanana:bananadance2

Hi Calikate

The dichotomy of owing a Cali is that you probably have had to endure a stressful work-life balance to be able to afford one in the first place!

The realisation that the previous X amounts of years of stressful work creeping up on you causing an unintentional misery is what many have experienced Imo

Vanlife becomes the antidepressant for the daily grind and facilitates the lifestyle changes you crave.

I can see you now, on that step with your hoodie on, cuppa in hand, thinking, we should have done this years ago (back to the opening statement). Post a piccy or two when the eagle has landed of you doing just that!

Enjoy your new-found freedom :bananadance2:pinkbanana:bananadance2

Thanks for the lovely, warm welcome!

This Cali purchase represents so much more than just an escape at weekends. We're changing our life, too – to reduce outgoings and free ourselves from the shackles we've unwittingly found ourselves in.

We're moving out of our "trendy" city suburb, selling our terraced house (no garage or parking) to buy a slightly cheaper detached property in the countryside. There's less crime out there (we're in a crime hotspot) and you get a garage and driveway. OMG! A driveway! A DRIVEWAY.

It's a solid move that will give us the balance we'd love. And will give us the freedom to escape in the Cali whenever we like, taking our laptops with us. Because – when you work for yourself – you can never really "escape" from work, sadly.

At least this way, we can have more freedom than we've had for a long time. I really hope so. I've been burnout for so long, I do wonder whether I've gone a little mad and am reaching for the stars.

I hope you are right about me feeling great in future. I will certainly share some pics of the van and me, hopefully looking very happy indeed.

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd post a little update. Our Jack has arrived in the UK and it looks as though he'll be ready to pick up next week. When my hubby sent me the pics from the dealer, I cried tears of joy. Real tears. It's amazing to think how far we've come and now the dream is becoming a reality. Thanks again for making us feel so welcome here. Not long now. (I'm not sure I'll sleep!)

2.png

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd post a little update. Our Jack has arrived in the UK and it looks as though he'll be ready to pick up next week. When my hubby sent me the pics from the dealer, I cried tears of joy. Real tears. It's amazing to think how far we've come and now the dream is becoming a reality. Thanks again for making us feel so welcome here. Not long now. (I'm not sure I'll sleep!)

View attachment 49415
That’s brilliant! Won’t be long now until you actually have your hands wrapped around the steering wheel

Hi @CaliKate
Enjoy your new van when you finally pick it up. Virtually everyone has been through a. Journey to get a their beach or ocean - so you are in good company.
Don’t forget to post pictures when you have your van home and (as other have said great first post) :thumb

9B4E0F4C-11BC-4981-864F-FAE94622FFCB.jpeg

And just wait till you see how happy Jack is to park up in places like this!
We’ve had ours for 6 months after a lot of agonising over the decision and there is no going back . . .
France, Switzerland, Scotland and N Yorkshire so far, sometimes sleeping in it, sometimes not but always a joy to take on holiday! No regrets so far.
John

View attachment 49451

And just wait till you see how happy Jack is to park up in places like this!
We’ve had ours for 6 months after a lot of agonising over the decision and there is no going back . . .
France, Switzerland, Scotland and N Yorkshire so far, sometimes sleeping in it, sometimes not but always a joy to take on holiday! No regrets so far.
John

My goodness. That view! I've always loved camping and the freedom it brings. But it became such a pain for us. The packing, the unpacking, putting up the tent, etc. We're busy people, so it always felt like a chore rather than a joy. The thing we love most about the van is the ease of setup and being able to take this warm, secure "home away from home" with you wherever. Bring on next week!!

We're proud to introduce Jack. Brought him home yesterday. This is the first chance I've had to introduce him. We're totally smitten and keep sitting in it outside our house, grinning at each other. Slowly but surely we're getting to know him. Packing old camping stuff in there. Seeing where things fit best. I don't think it's hit me yet that he's ours. First trip this weekend. Gosh, why didn't we do this sooner? Aside from the fact that we were younger and skint?
:cheers

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-03 at 13.08.44.jpeg

Looks great! Can sense your excitement! I still feel it every time I open Robbie’s door. Like you I just go and sit in him, because I can
Have a great first outing and ENJOY x

Back