Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aftermarket wheels and tyres help

J

Jimmylondon07

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Think I’m ready to take the plunge on a set of 17” swamper wheels. Am looking at fitting either the Michelin Cross Climate 2s or the Goodyear Vector Gen 3s to them, I love the look of AT tyres like the BFGs and General AT3s but the fuel economy and wet performance seems poor and I’m hoping all-seasons will provide a good tradeoff between general all season driving and the odd muddy campsite.

Couple of questions, in the Discover Pro menu I can select from some preset tyre sizes, I’m currently running factory 215/60R17 Bridgestone Duravis but see there’s a 235/55R17 option in there, I was planning on going for the Michelin or Goodyear in that size but have seen some people are also running 235/65r17 and bigger. Is there a reason for that or am I better off sticking to the default selections?

Secondly my van has active TPMS. What do I need to do to make sure it still works after I’ve had the new wheels and tyres combo fitted?

Have tried seeking out answers but seems a bit of a minefield!

Thanks

Jimmy

Think I’m ready to take the plunge on a set of 17” swamper wheels. Am looking at fitting either the Michelin Cross Climate 2s or the Goodyear Vector Gen 3s to them, I love the look of AT tyres like the BFGs and General AT3s but the fuel economy and wet performance seems poor and I’m hoping all-seasons will provide a good tradeoff between general all season driving and the odd muddy campsite.

Couple of questions, in the Discover Pro menu I can select from some preset tyre sizes, I’m currently running factory 215/60R17 Bridgestone Duravis but see there’s a 235/55R17 option in there, I was planning on going for the Michelin or Goodyear in that size but have seen some people are also running 235/65r17 and bigger. Is there a reason for that or am I better off sticking to the default selections?

Secondly my van has active TPMS. What do I need to do to make sure it still works after I’ve had the new wheels and tyres combo fitted?

Thanks

Jimmy
Running tyres that are larger than recommended by VW will be classed as a Vehicle Modification, so your Insurance must be notified.
Active TPMS depends on sensors, as part of the valve, in the wheels so have to be transferred across to the new wheels.

Screenshot_20231222_211027_eBay~2.jpg

I have Kato 17" swamper look wheels.
They are a nice large load rated wheel.
I'll be getting some Falken Wildpeak AT3 fitted in January.

Running tyres that are larger than recommended by VW will be classed as a Vehicle Modification, so your Insurance must be notified.
Active TPMS depends on sensors, as part of the valve, in the wheels so have to be transferred across to the new wheels.

View attachment 117527
So moving from 215/60r17 to 235/55r17 should be OK as it’s a standard VW tyre size? I figured I’d have to contact the insurer anyway to let them know I’d taken the Woodstocks off and fitted aftermarket.

On the TPMS, would I need new sensors or should a tyre fitter be able to use the ones that I’ve already got?

@Californication69 what size Wildpeaks will you be going for?

235/65/17 108 xl

£555 fitted at ATS

Is there any impact running 65 rather than 55?

Is there any impact running 65 rather than 55?
Hi, I was told I’d have issues with the abs, traction control, tyre wear etc, etc.
I’ve a 4M and it drives great on them.
I’ve had zero issues.
Milometer is spot on now.
When I’m doing 65, I’m actually doing 65mph on the speedo and Waze.

Currently running 235/65/17 102 comforser tyres, but they not the right load rating.
So changing to wild peak as have heard they run quieter and are a great tyre.

They give me the confidence to drive down deep potholes, gully’s, rocks and up kerbs and over small children and animals with no issues ;)

Hi, I was told I’d have issues with the abs, traction control, tyre wear etc, etc.
I’ve a 4M and it drives great on them.
I’ve had zero issues.
Milometer is spot on now.
When I’m doing 65, I’m actually doing 65mph on the speedo and Waze.

Currently running 235/65/17 102 comforser tyres, but they not the right load rating.
So changing to wild peak as have heard they run quieter and are a great tyre.

They give me the confidence to drive down deep potholes, gully’s, rocks and up kerbs and over small children and animals with no issues ;)
Any reason you are going for the Wildpeak AT3 and not the AT Trail which seems better suited to road use, quieter, more fuel efficient, ride comfort and longevity? Same load rating just less off road worthy.

A 65 profile tyre will reduce tyre to inner wing clearances plus your speedo will underread - not good for speed cameras.

I have 235/60/17 106V Michelin SUV CrossClimate tyres. The 60 profile puts speedo close to 100% accuracy.
If funds permit the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 235/60/17 is a pretty rugged looking tyre with good reports as to wear.

SUV tyre versions have stronger sidewalls and better mud/stone clearing tread than normal tyres of the same design. I found better suited to Cali weight.

Michelin Latitude Cross 235/55/17 is also worth considering but isn't 3Peak-Snowflake rated if EU winter travel is intended.

Those are all tyres that will suit mostly road use with 'normal' off road capability. There are obviously other brands with similar offerings.

Nice ideas for the OP as well, thx.
Yes, need 3 peak and snowflake for EU travel.

A 65 profile tyre will reduce tyre to inner wing clearances plus your speedo will underread - not good for speed cameras.

I have 235/60/17 106V Michelin SUV CrossClimate tyres. The 60 profile puts speedo close to 100% accuracy.
If funds permit the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 235/60/17 is a pretty rugged looking tyre with good reports as to wear.

SUV tyre versions have stronger sidewalls and better mud/stone clearing tread than normal tyres of the same design. I found better suited to Cali weight.

Michelin Latitude Cross 235/55/17 is also worth considering but isn't 3Peak-Snowflake rated if EU winter travel is intended.

Those are all tyres that will suit mostly road use with 'normal' off road capability. There are obviously other brands with similar offerings.
I’d prefer Michelin over Falken if I’m honest as well.
Thanks for the pointer

Very helpful post, thank you. I couldn’t find a CrossClimate 2 SUV tyre in 235/60r17, only 235/65r17. I did find a Cross Climate 2 designed for cars which is 235/55R17 103Y XL, would that be OK or best avoided?

I did have a look at the Agilis Cross Climate 2 as well but the 235/60/r27 is £120 a tyre more expensive than the car version at £260 a corner. It’s a lot on top of the cost of the new wheels.

Very helpful post, thank you. I couldn’t find a CrossClimate 2 SUV tyre in 235/60r17, only 235/65r17. I did find a Cross Climate 2 designed for cars which is 235/55R17 103Y XL, would that be OK or best avoided?

I did have a look at the Agilis Cross Climate 2 as well but the 235/60/r27 is £120 a tyre more expensive than the car version at £260 a corner. It’s a lot on top of the cost of the new wheels.
Depends what you will use the tyres for ?
If you are like me, 80% tarmac and 20% campsite, wet grass, maybe mud, bit of very bumpy, pot holes tracks, then I’ll be spending the extra and go for the Agilis directional.
It makes sense when they are a small square patch of rubber between the tarmac and keeping the right side up.

(From November to April, I use conti winter contact 870’s on 255/45/18 Palmerstons. )
And I’ll use the 17” Agilis on Kato’s, for spring summer, overkill I know, but I’ll be keeping them for 40k miles each over the next 8 years.
11k miles p.a. So the cost will work out.

I was going wildpeak, purely on looks. But the Agilis make a good case for what I need.

235/60/17 SUV only comes as a CrossClimate no 2 version as yet but I'm not sure as to the difference.
I couldn't justify the Agilis cost.

Thanks

Jimmy
You need to look at the other post on this topic warning against aftermarket wheels and tyres.

Back