Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air conditioning and COVID

J

jeannie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
I have placed a screen separating front and rear so I can transport my daughter and grandson around a 15 minute drive too and from their home. I have a garden they come to
My daughter and I wear masks
My question is this: is the air conditioning circulating air in and out or withi g the vehicle. There is a rear and front air con. Are they separating circulating ? Presently I’m not using any air con just to be safe but of course it gets hot in the van
I am not asking for any comments on the rights and wrongs of these actions or any judgements please but the technical details please

I have placed a screen separating front and rear so I can transport my daughter and grandson around a 15 minute drive too and from their home. I have a garden they come to
My question is this: is the air conditioning circulating air in and out or withi g the vehicle. There is a rear and front air con. Are they separating circulating ? Presently I’m not using any air con just to be safe but of course it gets hot in the van
I am not asking for any comments on the rights and wrongs of these actions or any judgements please but the technical details please

Great question and no doubt you’ll get techie answers on the exact operation of the AC.
Personally I’d open the windows.

Mike

Great question and no doubt you’ll get techie answers on the exact operation of the AC.
Personally I’d open the windows.

Mike
Thanks Mike. And yes that is an option. It’s around the air that is circulating around within the space - the weather is also a consideration re open windows. can’t do both of course As screen only concocted from lightweight plastic which would rip or detach from the sides with the force of air from windows
Managed to find a balance with having window in back open a little and front open a litttle when it’s really hot. Would just be good to know about the air con though

Thanks Mike. And yes that is an option. It’s around the air that is circulating around within the space - the weather is also a consideration re open windows. can’t do both of course As screen only concocted from lightweight plastic which would rip or detach from the sides with the force of air from windows
Managed to find a balance with having window in back open a little and front open a litttle when it’s really hot. Would just be good to know about the air con though

Great that your getting to see your daughter and grandson.

I’d ditch the screens and stick with what your doing with the windows.

Someone techie will be along soon I suspect

Mike

If you push the Air Recirculation button on the air con you will keep recycling the internal air, at least that’s what I understand from the handbook, best to check as there are two modes.

As long as the Recirculation function is Off, then the Dashboard unit brings in fresh air. However, the rear unit Only recirculated.
Any screen between front and rear is of no benefit unless airtight.

Even when the ventilation is from the outside, or recirculated, the air in the van is circulating around the van. So indeed, unless the screen is really airtight, then you have 2 separate compartiments in the van.
You don't even have to use the airco to recirculate the inner air.
That news is from airconditionings in buildings, not in cars.
Cars always have the air flowing around, airco on or off.

And what will you do if you use the van for your own? Clean it all out in the back after 72 hours of not entering the van?
It's good to take precautions, but you can never exclude every single contamination.

You can safely run the airco in your van, it will be not better or worse than just the ventilation.