Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Air Fryer anyone?

Daveb999

Daveb999

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
N/A
I have a good BBQ gas based setup for cooking outside my campervan and happy with it, however….

Been thinking when I am hooked up to EHU it might be good to have a small air fryer available. Anyone doing this at the moment, seem ok in the campervan?

Was also thinking it would be good for when its pouring down outside, keep cosy while cooking inside the van without using gas.

I was thinking similar, even tried figuring out the readability for using battery as well.

IMHO I think it would work out well. Space is probs the big thing, but if you know in advance maybe you ditch some of the gas cookware for the fryer for an overnighter or weekend trip :)

I was thinking similar, even tried figuring out the readability for using battery as well.

IMHO I think it would work out well. Space is probs the big thing, but if you know in advance maybe you ditch some of the gas cookware for the fryer for an overnighter or weekend trip :)
Yeah, was thinking if I was going to be on EHU most of trip could leave the CADAC behind as Air fryer would use same space. I still have the ridgemonkey if need to use gas

@Chrismatheson I decided to buy one and will use it next week. Will try and remember to update here how I got on.

I’ve used this one a few times on hook up no problems at all.

I have a good BBQ gas based setup for cooking outside my campervan and happy with it, however….

Been thinking when I am hooked up to EHU it might be good to have a small air fryer available. Anyone doing this at the moment, seem ok in the campervan?

Was also thinking it would be good for when its pouring down outside, keep cosy while cooking inside the van without using gas.
We have used a small air fryer for the past 12 months and it really is a game changer.

What can you cook in an air fryer apart from frozen oven chips?

What can you cook in an air fryer apart from frozen oven chips?
When you see “air fryer” read. Small very efficient oven.

And you can cook a ton. We did a full roast in our ninja when we got it. Took about 90mins

Toasties, Sausages, Burgers, Bacon, Pizza, Chicken, Macaroni Cheese, Cakes, Bread, the list is endless basically anything you can cook in a regular oven.
Also does a good Risotto, as stirs continuously.

Gets used a lot in our house for chips, just slice a potato, bit of oil & seasoning..25mins later your done.

Just remember you need 5 inches of ventilation on the sides, never sit one on a tea towel or flammable surface; they generate a lot of heat and have caused house fires when used incorrectly.

(But no need for it in our van)

Last edited:
If we are on hook up I take a small George Foreman grill for … grilled food. I also have a small microwave and take ready meals if I don’t fancy cooking. Good for porridge too. It sits under the parcel shelf thingie.

We have a ninja air fryer and I must say it has almost completely replaced our main electric fan oven. It adds a crispyness (is that a word?) to cod fillet in breadcrumbs and sweet potato fries that is just lovely.

We have taken it on our travels along with a microwave, powered by a 2kWh lithium Bluetti and it worked great for chicken and chips.

We bought one of the Costco ones highlighted above and have rarely used our oven since. Ive thought about taking it away but I’m concerned the wattage may be too high even on hookup and I don’t want to trip the whole site.

I have no experience of these personally but on the club forum of a specific sailing yacht that I subscribe to one of the members said he has been using this for a while and highly recommends it. The significance being that smaller boats are a bit like vans where space and power can be at a premium….

We’ve an air frier and very useful. With an extension cord it can be used outside (weather dependent). Used in conjunction with disposable parchment papers, washing up is a doddle.
Due to size though will be leaving at home in place of gas BBQ in the summer months.

We bought a ‘Tower’ air oven for the house but found it to be perfect for the van. It has a ‘rotisserie’ function as well as three removable wire shelves. Its 12 lt capacity makes it a perfect compromise between size and space. its perfect in back for travelling.
Proper game changer for cooking choice when staying in the van.

C9D41738-E080-4A66-9CB0-088E0ACCE2EF.png

Does anyone who uses an air fryer on site have trouble using it on hook up ? I’ve not used mine even though I have space to take it for fear of tripping the site. Mine ( the Costco Gourmia ) is 1500w which I think needs 12.5amps to run. I’d be happy to be told I’ve got the calculations wrong.

Does anyone who uses an air fryer on site have trouble using it on hook up ? I’ve not used mine even though I have space to take it for fear of tripping the site. Mine ( the Costco Gourmia ) is 1500w which I think needs 12.5amps to run. I’d be happy to be told I’ve got the calculations wrong.
Watts = Volts x Amps, so 1500w at 240v = 6.25 Amps

Ohms law
Think so. Ohms law has it that 1500w would draw 6.5amps (assuming 230v supply ). Not had any issues with our air oven on hook up.

Ohms law

Think so. Ohms law has it that 1500w would draw 6.5amps (assuming 230v supply ). Not had any issues with our air oven on hook up.

Thank you Mr Ohm ( and Malc69 ). I will take it on my next trip and see how it goes.

We use our Remoska a lot. It’s very compact and is basically a large non stick saucepan with a lid that comprises an electric element.