Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cooking Equipment

We are cooking all electric. 1L teapot. 1,5L multicooker. And two more 1L multicookers.
Everything closes securely so we cook during driving. You stop and have everything ready to eat.
Though we have a large lithium battery it is all easily doable with standard leisure battery, even one. Just do majority of cooking boiling when driving with "free" alternator electricity.

The only mod I strongly recommend is never using 12v cig lighter sockets. Connect the thick cable to leisure battery with a fuse and make high amp sockets of your choice. I use EC5 connectors that can hold 40amps longterm.

Teapot takes 40mins to boil and not a problem when driving and using thermos but when we need it faster I use 24v booster and it takes 10-15mins. Multicooker takes 2 hours when packed with everything frozen.

This year I added a programmable relay so teapot autostarts at 6.00 in the morning and we have fresh boiled water when wake up.

Carrying a little gas hob for emergencies but it is too messy compared to electric.

I swapped some thin hiking pans for Tefal Ingenio which are such a pleasure to use, thick bottomed and great quality. Big revelation for me recently was buying a stovetop pressure cooker - Kuhn Rikon do one without a long handle called the Duromatic Inox. I keep it in the tailgate. Means I can cook up a casserole, curry or soup in no time on the Cadac Safari. I have an old titanium kettle from hiking days which is lightweight and easy to stow away.
Hi I was just wondering which pressure cooker you take in the van? Is it the sauté pan? I have a Kuhn Rikon 5 litre 22cm base at home but have been thinking about getting the small sauté pressure cooker for our van and also to use at home. Thanks! Alison

Back