Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Question - before purchasing one.

jillyfish

jillyfish

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi
Have checked out all I can find on here and You Tube re cooking to supplement the indoor hob in the Cali. (we have not yet got our vehicle, but anticipating the end of March). Agree with most that cooking smells inside to be avoided as much as poss, and like the look of the the Cadac Safari Chef 2 Pro, which is on sale at Amazon for £120. This looks like the best bet as there are only two of us. just a little confused about using gas supply. (complete beginners, we are)

Am I correct in thinking that this Cadac can be used in conjunction with either a CampingGaz 907 bottle (using hose and regulator) or with the smaller 500ml gas canisters that screw directly under the base of the Cadac? I note references to HP and LP in relation to gas supply but not sure if this is relevant and why. The 907 being LP? See that the Cadac is available as HP or LP but that the Pro can be used with both? can someone please explain to this novice before we purchase.

I think it would be handy to use the small screw in gas cannisters, as they are so lightweight, but wonder how much cooking time you get with them? Do most users carry a 907 just for the Cadac?

When i looked into this it was best to use the 907 version because the direct canister ones (HP?) can struggle with turndown due to the higher pressure drop. In short hard to control the flame. With the 907 version it can be adapted to take the catridge anyway. I have a spare 907 and 901 the 901 covers the base of compact size.

I have the LP version, because that can be used with large LP bottles, or you can buy an adapter and use the HP cans too. With the HP version you are restricted to HP cans only.

The HP cans are much more convenient but if you are concerned about value for money the HP cans are more expensive for the amount of gas and create more waste.

I generally always recommend the LP version for that reason, it can use both with a HP adapter purchased separately.

OK thanks. From what i can see, the standard Cadac safari Chef 2 Pro is for use with LP (or with adaptor) but there is another model that specifically states its for HP and this cannot be used the other way. It does also make good sense to have a spare 907 for use in the Cali itself.

Last edited:
That is correct, LP can be used for both (with extra adapter) but HP can only use HP.

I have never found the pressure issue on the LP with HP adapter that Legin has reported above glad to say.

I bought the Cadac Safari Chef 2 LP version and it's great. I found cheaper than Amazon, currently it's £69. I also got the adapter at £13.50....links below:

Cadac LP
Regulator

Personally I prefer the smaller bottles than a 907, due to space. I use these now, from Amazon...

Gas Bottles

The Cadac is great. I'm not bothered about cooking in the van, but hardly do it now as I much prefer to use the Cadac. It is superb and fits so well with Cali life.

We have the LP version. If you have an Ocean the LP makes even more sense as you can carry a 901, 904 or 907 cylinder as a spare and use it for the Cadac.

s-l500.jpg

Similarly, if the spare runs out, you could use your main bottle for the Cadac.

We have the LP version. If you have an Ocean the LP makes even more sense as you can carry a 901, 904 or 907 cylinder as a spare and use it for the Cadac.

s-l500.jpg

Similarly, if the spare runs out, you could use your main bottle for the Cadac.

Hmmm, maybe I'll try the 901 or 904 next, once my current cartridges run out.

2 x 907's is overkill for me and space in the boot is at a premium, but I like the idea of the smaller bottles.

Hmmm, maybe I'll try the 901 or 904 next, once my current cartridges run out.

2 x 907's is overkill for me and space in the boot is at a premium, but I like the idea of the smaller bottles.
I would guesstimate that a 901 bottle would last a couple a week's worth of hot meals and hot drinks. In most circumstances, plenty for a reserve supply.

I bought the Cadac Safari Chef 2 LP version and it's great. I found cheaper than Amazon, currently it's £69. I also got the adapter at £13.50....links below:

Cadac LP
Regulator

Personally I prefer the smaller bottles than a 907, due to space. I use these now, from Amazon...

Gas Bottles

The Cadac is great. I'm not bothered about cooking in the van, but hardly do it now as I much prefer to use the Cadac. It is superb and fits so well with Cali life.

Thanks. Checked this out and it seems the one you refer to is the Cadac Lite, rather than the Pro, which is also being sold at £126. I think the Pro has a quick release valve and more cooking plates? Be keen to know if others find having the Pro version to be more useful.

Thanks. Checked this out and it seems the one you refer to is the Cadac Lite, rather than the Pro, which is also being sold at £126. I think the Pro has a quick release valve and more cooking plates? Be keen to know if others find having the Pro version to be more useful.
The QR for the Cadac is £8.99, and worth every penny. We switch seamlessly between larger, cheaper propane at home and smaller, expensive butane when camping.

We have loads of extras for our Cadac. 90% of the time we use the BBQ grill, the other 10% the pizza stone. After 3 years the flat pan remains unused.

I'll check which one I have and report back.....it had a number of cooking plates come with it, all in a bag. I'll post photos in a bit.

The Cadac website lists three versions of the Safari Chef: LP, HP and LP - lite

It says this about the LP lite:

The Safari Chef 2 LP works off any 2.8kPa supply. The Safari Chef 2 LP Lite is identical to the Safari Chef 2 LP. The only difference is that the flat plate is not included with the Safari chef 2 LP Lite.

It seems that some retailers throw in a cover or additional lid and suffix the product name with pro.

A cover can be bought for £6.40, a paella pan for £30, a pizza stone for £13.50.

I guess I must have the Chef 2 LP then....it has the lid, griddle and flat plate...

1579789547661.png

which all go nicely in the bag.

1579789581370.png

The fitting is screw thread, but the pipe is easily tightened using the blue adapter which is permanently attached

1579789670606.png

1579789697028.png

1579789724880.png

Copy of the manual, showing model numbers..

1579789828082.png

1579789925924.png

thanks a lot. very useful pics. its on sale at Go Outdoors for 100 I think (with card discount)

One final bit of advice - if you buy the quick release valve for the cadac, the legs won't close. What you can do is drill small holes in legs 1 and 2, and then they will close.

View attachment 54518

View attachment 54519
OK. I have checked again, and Cadac do sell a 'Pro' version (fm 2019 i think) noted a boxed one on a youtube video. So this comes with quick release valve built in under, as well as a pad lid that the others dont seem to.

I got ours from here. Best prices at the time:
We love it.

1 x Cadac Safari Chef 2 Low Pressure Gas BBQ
1 x Cadac EN417 Regulator and Hose Kit
1 x Cadac Paella Pan 28cm

Delivery Charge: £0.00
Order Total: £131.48

I have the HP version and whilst it’s a really neat and a quality product I’ve actually struggled with the cooking experience. I have a large Cadac for the caravan that runs off the inside gas supply and it is superb. It made me want to get the equivalent ‘mini’ experience in the van.

Unfortunately I’ve found three (connected) key issues:

- The ignition doesn’t work reliably and requires an external ignition source.

- Once the cooking plate is in place it is very difficult to see the flame, it’s easy to turn it to low and switch it off without knowing. Reigniting is a nightmare due to the first issue!

- The cooking temp seems to be full on or off. I have failed to find reasonable graduations of heat using the gas control. Especially when trying to get low heat, I often run into issue two and then issue one!

I don’t want to put you off- as it is a real nice quality, well designed piece of kit- I just worry it may be more form over function.

I use the safari chef 2 LP version and find it has excellent heat control. The lid is essential for creating even heat and for keeping the bacon warm, tin foil over the top, while you fry off the eggs. I use it on a 907 and this acts as a spare for when the van bottle runs out.

Why not get one of these, way cheaper than a Cadac, add a frying pan and it does exactly the same job, smaller so takes up less space in the Cali, and gas refills are available from HomeBargains 4 for £4.

Campingaz Camp Bistro 2 Camping Stove, 1 Flame Portable Gas Cartridge Cooker, Runs on Campingaz CP 250 Cartridges, 2200 WW https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000Y854WC/?tag=eliteelect-21

Check this one out:

We used one all last summer and it was great as it has 2 rings. Used the small canisters with screw in thread which can all be stored on one of the shelves at the rear of the van - not that keen on lugging around another heavy gas steel bottle.

Also must add that I have the pizza stone and it is brilliant too, the shop bought pizza we had in Sweden was out of this world.