Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Airbag light - strange one

Elmo3

Elmo3

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Bit of an strange one. Out in the Cali today, make a sharp left turn which doubles back on itself requiring full lock and when straightening back up the airbag light came on. I’m aware of the common wiring issue under the seat but seems a coincidence that it came on after using full lock, so thinking it could be a connection at the steering wheel end? When I switch off and on again, the light goes out for a split second then comes back on. Any suggestions?

Bit of an strange one. Out in the Cali today, make a sharp left turn which doubles back on itself requiring full lock and when straightening back up the airbag light came on. I’m aware of the common wiring issue under the seat but seems a coincidence that it came on after using full lock, so thinking it could be a connection at the steering wheel end? When I switch off and on again, the light goes out for a split second then comes back on. Any suggestions?
The light will stay on until cleared by a diagnostic computer, or something like Carista OBD dongle.
You’ll need to get diagnostics done to confirm that it is the steering wheel airbag that is responsible. Carista can do that .

More than likely the cable reel at fault, A quick plug in will confirm.

The light will stay on until cleared by a diagnostic computer, or something like Carista OBD dongle.
You’ll need to get diagnostics done to confirm that it is the steering wheel airbag that is responsible. Carista can do that .

I looked in to Carista when I had a faulty ABS sensor, their website said it doesn’t support a T5, only 5.1 onwards, which is a shame!

More than likely the cable reel at fault, A quick plug in will confirm.

Is that the clock spring? Funny you should mention that because I did notice a sort of winding noise approaching full lock. Is it an easy fix?

A scan will tell you which airbag, but also, your weight shifting in the seat as you turned the corner could have stretched the cable under your seat cushion.

A scan will tell you which airbag, but also, your weight shifting in the seat as you turned the corner could have stretched the cable under your seat cushion.

Yes, it’s possible. I should unbolt the seat and check the wiring, bear in mind mine is LHD so the battery etc is underneath the drivers seat.

Back