Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aircon on or off

S

SeismiChris

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Morning all,

I would just like to ask all you experienced Cali owners whether you think it is necessary to have the aircon/climatatic on constantly as advised by our dealer?

Thanks in anticipation Chris and Liz :help

Personally no I don't think so. It uses a noticeable amount of additional fuel so mine is off pretty much all the time - bar demist and obviously in the summer heat. I do run it semi regularly though if it has not been on in a while just to keep things working correctly. The reality is you don't need it most of the time in the U.K. so not sure why you would leave it on just beacuse?!

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve.

We guessed as much. We have noticed that the diesel consumption with the aircon on is pretty low and considering it costs over £100 to fill up, seems to be a bit of a no brainer really.

With our old T2 campervan the only arcon was turning the windows down, and the heater was either hot or cold, nothing in-between, so with all these flashy extras in our Cali, we feel overly comfortable!!

I think it is a very good idea to use it regularly, in order to keep things to cling over and keep the seals etc fresh.

Californiaman said:
I think it is a very good idea to use it regularly, in order to keep things to cling over and keep the seals etc fresh.

This... ^^^

Air conditioning needs to be used to keep the seals lubricated my work van it's ALWAYS on MUCH cheaper to use a tiny bit of fuel rather regas,fix etc.

It's not the sort of thing you will notice straight away but over time it will cost you, and if you only use the Cali at weekends and holidays then you should defo use it.

One last thing it can be used all the time when heating to doesn't have to be used in the cold setting.

Cheers

Shaun (air conditioning engineer)

;)

I leave mine on all the time.

Good to keep the seals lubricated as stated above

Good to keep the moisture down in the van to reduce the amount of condensation on the windscreen after a sunny day/cold night combination.

I also run our Air Con all the time. Great for getting rid of condensation quickly in the current weather. Only down side is that on long trips my nose drys out a little and I tend to sneeze more.

Would advise it is used all the time, it also works as a dehumidifier as well! Have seen cases where customer did not use air con over winter as they thought it was only for cold air and the seals for the air con pipes shrink and the gas leaks out and then the air con doesn't work when it is hot and needed.

cheers

We leave the cali aircon on all the time same as
my works car which is three years old and now covered 140,000 miles and the aircon has never been off and never had a problem with it
dave and lisa :thumb

Thank you so much everyone for the fascinating advice. I know on previous vehicles we didn't have the aircon on all the time, and as many of you say, we suffered the consequences of the aircon not actually working properly EVER again.

So bugger the expense, we will keep it on.

Much appreciated everyone.

Chris and Liz :thanks

I was also told by my a/c engineer to run it a lot and also if you can cycle it to full hot every now and then to dry out all the piping.

SeismiChris said:
Thanks for that Steve.

With our old T2 campervan the only arcon was turning the windows down, and the heater was either hot or cold, nothing in-between, so with all these flashy extras in our Cali, we feel overly comfortable!!
you had a heater, you were lucky....ours only worked when it twas warm outside :lol:

I get a lot of condensation on the sliding door window when its cold and wet. I'm not sure what's particular about that side other than the possibility of extra moisture on the step and floor from getting in to the van. The aircon clears it quickly which is especially useful when on the motorway if I want to double-check the blind spot.

Back