Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarm issues while camping after turning alarm off

chris ratay traveler

chris ratay traveler

Overlanding South America w T6.1 Ocean 204, 4M+
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
T6.1, LHD, sleeping in upper bed, dog sleeping in driver chair, trailer connected.

20230223_085315.jpg
Photo after pressing (2) lock. Never used before.

We've had the van a couple of months, but only started camping last week.

The other day I pressed (3) to lock the van before going to bed, and everything was fine.

Last night I tried again, but the (3) button wouldn't react (sound or light) when I hit it. I double clicked the fob, deadbolt locking us in, and alarm (1) dark. Similar to what I did on the ferry from Italy the other day - lock but no alarm.

At 5am I looked down and noticed the alarm (1) was flashing. That was confusing. At 7am when I climbed down i expected the alarm to go off as the light was flashing, but nothing happened.

Hit the unlock on the key fob to be sure and (1) stopped flashing.

HOWEVER a few seconds later with the fob hanging on a hook untouched, i heard the deadbolt lock and (1) started flashing. Hit the unlock on the fob again, and same thing happened.

Waited 10 minutes, manually opened the side door, and alarm went off (free RV camping in Spain, so have neighbors). Hit unlock on the fob and everything seemed normal again.

Watched video from California Chris, bit that's a T6 with B pillar button, which I don't have.

Hit (2) and took the photo, and wrote this post.

QUESTIONS:
A) Is there some sort of "reset" I can do while traveling?

B) Why is the alarm (1) activating when we're inside and hitting unlock on the fob?

We're heading to Morocco for a month of camping, without the trailer, and need to be able to lock doors at night.

C) What is the difference between button (2) and (3)? I'll need to play with these.

20230222_084411.jpg

Last edited:
You should only use button 2 for locking/unlocking when inside the van camping. Don't use the fob to lock otherwise you'll set the alarm. Button 3 is "button for electric childproof lock". If you unlock using the fob but don't then open the doors, after a number of seconds the vehicle will automatically lock again and set the alarm - which is probably why you're triggering the alarm after using the unlock button on the key fob.

You should only use button 2 for locking/unlocking when inside the van camping. Don't use the fob to lock otherwise you'll set the alarm. Button 3 is "button for electric childproof lock". If you unlock using the fob but don't then open the doors, after a number of seconds the vehicle will automatically lock again and set the alarm - which is probably why you're triggering the alarm after using the unlock button on the key fob.
Ahhh, now that i look, i see 3 has a child on it. When I tried it a few days ago, i heard a click and the light didn't come on, so assumed that was how to lock without using the fob.

With the seat turned around, it's the closest button to reach from behind.

The whole point of this trip is to learn, so thanks

For further clarification:

I'm camping inside with van locked using button 2.
When going out at night for the usual short using for example the sliding door->
A) does the sliding door get locked automatically after some time? Or:
B1) do I need to lock it again using button 2 when back into the van?
B2) same as B1 if I used a front door?

Thanks!