Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Aldi Dash Cam

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Westafalia club joker
Anyone looking for a reasonably priced dash cam .....
Aldi have one, the Voyager. I've already got the Nextbase 212 and have just bought the Voyager for a bargain £39.99. They appear be the same beast apart from the power cable and an improved menu. I assume they are just different badging as the technical support phone numbers are the same and both companies appear to be based in the same office. If it's as reliable as the Nextbase then I'll have no complaints,

Thanks for that we have already got a dash cam but this would be ideal for my daughters car :thanks

I just bought one of these thanks to @ArunAlec
The video quality is better than my Kenwood DVR 410 that I have in the Cali and the lead is long enough to hide away down the A pillar of most cars, then behind the trim and carpet to the centre console 12v socket.
Happy days :thumb

I just bought one of these thanks to @ArunAlec
The video quality is better than my Kenwood DVR 410 that I have in the Cali and the lead is long enough to hide away down the A pillar of most cars, then behind the trim and carpet to the centre console 12v socket.
Happy days :thumb
Fitted mine yesterday. Works well.

Couldn't register it for the Warranty, just kept getting error messages. Even emailed the Sales/Support email for Voyager, same problem.

So emailed NextBase direct. Prompt reply. Apologies and they Registered it for me.

Was thinking, you could use one of these on the Rear, plugged into the Rear 12v socket and set on PARK mode. Only works on movement then so could be left On permanently and would take many, many weeks to affect Leisure Batteries especially if you are a frequent driver. Would need a Different 12v Plug to avoid damage to it but this fitted in the Rear would make it easy to use.
Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 18.51.49.jpg

i hard wired mine it goes off with ignition but stores enough battery to start up if the van is moved

i hard wired mine it goes off with ignition but stores enough battery to start up if the van is moved
Done that with the Front using a NextBase Kit.
Fitting one at the rear, well powering using the 12v socket in the boot is easily done. Fitting the camera is a little more difficult because of the Suction Mount used.

Just a thought, when leaving cameras front and back etc. when parked, is this not encouraging break-ins and theft??

Just a thought, when leaving cameras front and back etc. when parked, is this not encouraging break-ins and theft??
Back camera probably wouldn’t be noticed. The beauty of these cameras is that the camera clicks into a magnetic base so it is easily removed if you wish.

Dont forget to reformat the SD Card regularly.
I tend not to use the Parking and G sensor modes as they seem over sensitive and end up creating lots of protected files. Not a problem if you keep an eye on SD Card capacity.

Done that with the Front using a NextBase Kit.
Fitting one at the rear, well powering using the 12v socket in the boot is easily done. Fitting the camera is a little more difficult because of the Suction Mount used.
If you have a Nextbase 512GW the rear camera has now been released, £25 on a discount site but currently out of stock, looks to be a decent solution.
512GW Rear Cam
-Works in conjunction with your front facing Nextbase 512GW Dash Cam using the supplied 6m connection cable.
-Designed to easily install onto your rear window using an integrated adhesive mount.
-Works with the 512GW both recording at 1080p at 30 fps.
-Sony Exmor R Sensor for increased picture clarity.
-When connected it records both front and rear footage simultaneously onto a single micro SD card.
-Rear Cam footage viewed in Picture in Picture (PiP) mode on your 512GW or full screen, to be used as a reversing camera.

If you have a Nextbase 512GW the rear camera has now been released, £25 on a discount site but currently out of stock, looks to be a decent solution.
512GW Rear Cam
-Works in conjunction with your front facing Nextbase 512GW Dash Cam using the supplied 6m connection cable.
-Designed to easily install onto your rear window using an integrated adhesive mount.
-Works with the 512GW both recording at 1080p at 30 fps.
-Sony Exmor R Sensor for increased picture clarity.
-When connected it records both front and rear footage simultaneously onto a single micro SD card.
-Rear Cam footage viewed in Picture in Picture (PiP) mode on your 512GW or full screen, to be used as a reversing camera.
Problem is you cannot fix onto the rear window because of the tailgate blind fouling it.

Problem is you cannot fix onto the rear window because of the tailgate blind fouling it.
Excellent point, but presumably not beyond the wit of man to solve that little wrinkle.

On permanently and would take many, many weeks to affect Leisure Batteries especially if you are a frequent driver.

As a daily drive, I leave ours plugged into the rear 12v socket by the side of the bench seat with no effect on LB. I have mounted rear camera back a bit so rear blind clears camera without issue,fitted to the trim rather than the window,

As a daily drive, I leave ours plugged into the rear 12v socket by the side of the bench seat with no effect on LB. I have mounted rear camera back a bit so rear blind clears camera without issue,fitted to the trim rather than the window,
What did you use to fit the mount to the trim?

Just been out to the van, over 7 cm clearance between blind and screen on a T6 and of course the blind can articulate quite a bit, so no problem at all fitting the rear camera.

Just been out to the van, over 7 cm clearance between blind and screen on a T6 and of course the blind can articulate quite a bit, so no problem at all fitting the rear camera.

I did not try to mount on rear window as I worried that every time I shut the boot it would detect the "bump" and lock the recording thinking someone had hit the van and quickly fill the memory card

I did not try to mount on rear window as I worried that every time I shut the boot it would detect the "bump" and lock the recording thinking someone had hit the van and quickly fill the memory card
I use a 64 GB card, I also reformat it every month or so, probably OK. I presume the bump operation is still initiated by the front camera so the rear one will not lock the recording. One quibble is how much the bike rack will reduce its view, . I will juggle its position until it is reasonably effective. Luckily I have the two bike Fiamma T6 rack which is more open than the VW four bike rack.

Why is this?
The user manual says so!
Also, when researching and reading reviews there were some issues with SD cards and the solution was to do regular reformatting. I think that like PC hardrives although the dash cam deletes and overwrites old files the SD card memory gets fragmented and some data is not fully removed, which causes problems if not cleaned by reformatting.

I think also, if you use the Park function, it will activate every time you get in the vehicle or open a door and these files are locked and can only be removed by formatting the card.

Back