Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alex Scott

Not everything in history is clear cut…

Goodness knows what skeletons we may have in our ancestral cupboard if we go back 200 years.

I would probably find that my Irish traveller paternal grandfather was the spawn of English landowners responsible for the potato famine and my Bedouin Grandma had an affair with Lawrence of Arabia.

My only issue is that when the BBC find new talent they then urgently spread that person thinly and widely across all and any programmes, irrespective of revelance, suitability or appeal.

Alex Scott, Rylan Clark-Neal, etc etc. On one program, suddenly on all.
Now on "Who do you think you are".

Top Gear next?

That would probably be the white slave owner who unlawfully impregnated one of his slaves (her distant relative). Something which she would naturally be very ‘tearful’ about.
It appears it was a black but light skinned male relative. And yes he did then impregnate some of his slaves.

I recall exactly the same scenario in a previous episode some time back, I don't recall the male subject of the program.

Kind of against everything most of us stand for these days?

It appears it was a black but light skinned male relative. And yes he did then impregnate some of his slaves.

I recall exactly the same scenario in a previous episode some time back, I don't recall the male subject of the program.

Kind of against everything most of us stand for these days?
I can imagine the haters of Alex Scott (of which there appears to be many for some unknown reason) couldn’t believe their luck when they unearthed that piece of history. But I think we can all agree that most slave owners were white.

Goodness knows what skeletons we may have in our ancestral cupboard if we go back 200 years.

I would probably find that my Irish traveller paternal grandfather was the spawn of English landowners responsible for the potato famine and my Bedouin Grandma had an affair with Lawrence of Arabia.

My Grandad was a personal friend and served alongside Sir Lawrence. Apparently shot in the heal whilst on the front line with him and had a long walk back to hospital. Which somehow he managed…

Actually.
Looking back. Alex did a better job of presenting, than the little Italian fella on Family Fortunaires…
:headbang
Ciao.

I can imagine the haters of Alex Scott (of which there appears to be many for some unknown reason) couldn’t believe their luck when they unearthed that piece of history. But I think we can all agree that most slave owners were white.
‘But I think we can all agree that most slave owners were white.’

I think it depends on the period of history you look at and the particular geography. In the present day I believe that Africa is the worst offender.

“Forced labor in Sub-Saharan Africa is estimated at 660,000. This includes people involved in the illegal diamond mines of Sierra Leone and Liberia, which is also a direct result of the civil war in these regions. In 2017, the International Labour Office estimated that 7∶1,000 people in Africa are victims of slavery.”

It could be argued that employing Eastern European labour at below the minimum wage to pick fruit and vegetables in the UK and accommodating them in squalid dormitories might be considered as modern day slavery.

But I think we can all agree that most slave owners were white.
We could also agree that almost all slave dealers in Africa were not white & that the trade within Africa had been going on for thousands of years.

‘But I think we can all agree that most slave owners were white.’

I think it depends on the period of history you look at and the particular geography. In the present day I believe that Africa is the worst offender.

“Forced labor in Sub-Saharan Africa is estimated at 660,000. This includes people involved in the illegal diamond mines of Sierra Leone and Liberia, which is also a direct result of the civil war in these regions. In 2017, the International Labour Office estimated that 7∶1,000 people in Africa are victims of slavery.”

It could be argued that employing Eastern European labour at below the minimum wage to pick fruit and vegetables in the UK and accommodating them in squalid dormitories might be considered as modern day slavery.
Sticking with the Alex Scott story, this refers to America, and in her relatives case, Jamaica. Which as we know was part of the slave trade where people were transported from Africa and other places. There has been many other ‘slave trades’ throughout the world over the centuries but I’m not sure Alex Scott is connected to those.

We could also agree that almost all slave dealers in Africa were not white & that the trade within Africa had been going on for thousands of years.

I remember visiting Stone Town in Zanzibar in 2010. An Arab slave trade port/town where slaves were treat far worse than those traded on the Western side of Africa.
A place shut down to slavery by the British.

There are some genuinely mind blowing comments in this thread... Clearly started to quite rightly highlight the obvious bigotry and racist attitudes of an upper class twit, and now discussing the relative extents of peoples involvement in the slave trade.

All because (god forbid) a talented black woman was given the deserved opportunity of a high profile role in some of BBC's flagship sports programmes.

What could it be about her to trigger such responses I wonder... FFS.

There are some genuinely mind blowing comments in this thread... Clearly started to quite rightly highlight the obvious bigotry and racist attitudes of an upper class twit, and now discussing the relative extents of peoples involvement in the slave trade.

All because (god forbid) a talented black woman was given the deserved opportunity of a high profile role in some of BBC's flagship sports programmes.

Very well said, I totally agree with your astute summation. I’m glad I’m not alone in my distaste for the critics of this talented woman. Long may she continue.

A lack of talent to be everywhere on the BBC? Leaving her to do her stuff presenting football. That's the top and bottom of my gripe.

Why are you even mentioning that she is black?

The original argument was about why suddenly one person was suddenly seemingly presenting every programme on the BBC

Whilst she wouldn’t be my first choice for some of the stuff she was presenting, I do think she would be far better than Paddy McGuiness on Question of Sport.

Maybe she’s a talented footballer but a sh1t presenter.
Just putting it out there…

I do think she would be far better than Paddy McGuiness on Question of Sport.
Another dubious casting call by the BBC. He's the weak link on Top Gear and I can't imagine he's any better on QoS. Spread the jobs out, find the best talent. Not like the BBC are saving money by getting existing people to make good the hours they owe on their contracts.

Why are you even mentioning that she is black?

The original argument was about why suddenly one person was suddenly seemingly presenting every programme on the BBC

Whilst she wouldn’t be my first choice for some of the stuff she was presenting, I do think she would be far better than Paddy McGuiness on Question of Sport.
Why are people using words like 'tokenism' on this thread? Why has someone pointing out bigoted comments about a person of colour descended into a debate on 'who were the bigger culprits/heroes' in the slave trade.

And, seriously... do you really believe Alex Scott is now presenting every programme on the BBC...

And, seriously... do you really believe Alex Scott is now presenting every programme on the BBC...
No of course you are right.

In the last year or so it's only been Strictly Come Dancing, Sports Personality of the Year, the One Show, The Tournament, the Olympics, Football Focus and a feature on Who do you think you are.

Still some way to go.

[QUOTE="LowMan, post: 550543, member: 8823]

[/QUOTE]
When the thread started, the olympics were on, she was presenting every morning for that & a number of programmes in the evening.

[QUOTE="LowMan, post: 550543, member: 8823]

When the thread started, the olympics were on, she was presenting every morning for that & a number of programmes in the evening.
[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of presenters who take on simultaneous duties whenever a major event takes place. Always have and always will. The public tend to enjoy familiar faces and the continuity (you may not be one of them). Still don't understand what that has to do with the original post and the swerve this thread seems to have taken though...

Why are people using words like 'tokenism' on this thread? Why has someone pointing out bigoted comments about a person of colour descended into a debate on 'who were the bigger culprits/heroes' in the slave trade.

Because there is an inference around that todays White people are bad because of slave owners, when the actual truth is that probably every nation in the world has had slavery. In fact many still have. I would rather deal with todays slavery that is never reported on, these are the people who need our help. We also have to remember that our Nation led the way in the abolishment of slavery and that cost was carried by the Tax payer who had nothing to do with it. Our part in slavery should taught at school, but so should all the great things our Nation did, so our kids get a balanced view of the Country and know what great people we are White, Black, Asian Or what ever tone your skin happens to be.

We have to stop letting the history of our heritage hold us back and cause division, or we will never have the world we deserve, because the one we have at the moment is in big trouble.

This thread may have begun in all innocence but has increasingly contained some (I'm saying some, not all!) dodgy, slightly unpleasant references. Shall we put it to bed and move on?

Back