Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

De-frosting your windscreen?

Yes, I find them distracting when the sun is very low and also headlights from oncoming cars can create a starburst effect especially when it's raining. It is effective though but on balance I've decided not to have it on my next Cali.
No one ever noticed the heating wires on my windscreen unless I told them about it. They show very seldom and are in my opinion not distracting. I find it hard to believe the starburst you describe is caused by the heating wires , in my opinion the raindrops create the starburst. Heated windscreen is the first option on my list for every future car I'll ever buy .Not only for defrosting but also to keep the windscreen crystal clear in damp situations like when you sit in the car with damp raincoat for example or a wet dog..

When did the remote become standard? I recently bought a 2011 SE and I don’t have a remote ;-(
I think it was an option back then maybe?
Just checked a 2010 Brochure. Standard on the SE.
Might be able to get a replacement, but then it would have to be programmed.

Ah, interesting, I bought mine second hand and it didn’t come with a remote, maybe it’s been lost, I’ll have to look into this, see if I should have one and if so, see if I can get a replacement. Thanks WelshGas

I guess this is a timely reminder:

There is no road law that says it is illegal to drive with snow/frost on your car.......but, please read on.....

However, ".............the Highway Code stipulates that if driving in adverse weather conditions you must, by law, be able to see out of every glass panel in your vehicle.

This is supported by the section 41D of the Road Traffic Act 1988, meaning it is a legal requirement to have a clear view of the road ahead before you set off.

Failure to do so could incur a fine, but more importantly could place your life, the lives of your passengers and the lives of those around you in danger.

This also means ensuring your windscreen is de-iced on the outside and thoroughly demisted on the inside.
"

Courtesy of the RAC.

Stay Safe folks.
Someone was recently prosecuted for causing death by dangerous driving when the windscreen was partially covered in ice.

What's wrong with wrapping a silver screen on the Cali while sitting on the drive , half of the Cali owners have a screen on while camping so simply use it at home or at work !
Serious ...boiling water to defrost your carwindscreen ?!...shame on you all... :(

Nice idea but a few downsides, you end up with a big wet thing to store during the day, often ends up frozen to the screen or the wind can dislodge it.

Having upgraded my coolant heater with a Telestart kit I can now do this

D9B2A74F-F7C6-4C36-B440-B127271A91ED.jpeg

That’s after 10 mins on a light frost. Added bonus of warm air on start up and no cold start for the engine.

Sadly my work van has no such luxury, 10-15 idling and some de-icer. Usually use a scraper on side windows but we have a shortage of them in our household at the moment. Tempted by the warm water method, always been wary of it though.

Having upgraded my coolant heater with a Telestart kit I can now do this

View attachment 41078

That’s after 10 mins on a light frost. Added bonus of warm air on start up and no cold start for the engine.

Sadly my work van has no such luxury, 10-15 idling and some de-icer. Usually use a scraper on side windows but we have a shortage of them in our household at the moment. Tempted by the warm water method, always been wary of it though.
Get the kettle on. There are loads of videos on You Tube of people pouring boiling water on frozen windscreens without any bother.

Nice idea but a few downsides, you end up with a big wet thing to store during the day, often ends up frozen to the screen or the wind can dislodge it.

It's thesame when you are camping , my outside windscreen from the forumshop never been dislodged by wind .....
And for those who like a clear windscreen in winter when parked outside at home put the screen simply in theire home if they don't want to take it with them....

Anyway it's each theire own as always , i was just pointing out that almost half of the Cali owners(and campervan owners in general) put on a outside screen on while camping so they should be ok using it at home on the drive also ...
that was my point .

I saw a video on facebook of someone using a freezer bag full with warm water, clearing the window instantly.

A colleague tried it this morning and sent me this message about how successful it was:

so I tried the plastic bag de-icer trick today
big mistake! doesnt work when its -5 it melts the ice really well - but then it freezes again - a really thin layer that is welded on and doesnt scrape off easily :-O I'm gonna stick to my trusty scraper

That snow could probably be wiped off the windscreen with bare hands :)

Hi,
A caution about using warm water to clear the windscreen, I did this on a Discovery many years go, windscreen was fine but the water got into the door seals and froze, the drivers door seal split when opening the door.
I now leave any doors that are unwilling to open and do wipe round the seals with seal wipes to help prevent freezing.

Heater remote is on the front window sill and a real bonus, hope I remember to grab it next time we go away!

All very scenic here in Hampshire!

Cheers,
Ken

It turns out an aux heater remote was standard on my 2011 SE and I should have had one all along. Got a replacement ordered and had it coded up at VW today.

It’s Ace. I might never use it, but it’s such a cool ‘feature’ of the California, being able to press that button and have the jet engines start up, the van wouldn’t be the same without it.

It turns out an aux heater remote was standard on my 2011 SE and I should have had one all along. Got a replacement ordered and had it coded up at VW today.

It’s Ace. I might never use it, but it’s such a cool ‘feature’ of the California, being able to press that button and have the jet engines start up, the van wouldn’t be the same without it.
It works from quit a distance as well. Certainly if you can see your California it should work. Coming down the mountain etc:

If it refreezes then just chuck another bucket of warm water at it then put the wipers on. Two sloshes usually sorts it out.
Haven't got wipers on side windows:eek:

Also you can spray Demon Ice De Icer on the night before which stops ice forming.

Haven't got wipers on side windows:eek:
So what do you do when it's raining? I suspect nothing!

If you want to clear side windows of all water droplets then use a flexible water squeegee blade however most will blow away when you start driving.

Back