Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Weather Tyre Option

If new to van ownership, be certain that the tyre load rating is sufficient, the Cali is a bit of a lump! Just because the tyre is the correct size, it may not be correct or legal for the van. I found out when trying to buy snow tyres, it cut the options significantly.

I'm sure some expert on here will know the minimum value for your van, but I know when I bought mine it was running on load rating 97 rubber. I was told by a garage 103 was the minimum for a transporter and if I'd had an insurance claim I probably wouldn't be covered.

They do OK in snow, but very good on both muddy campsites and a good quiet ride on the road are Michelin latitude Cross. Perhaps a thought. A bit of a luxury, but I then have a set of slightly bashed alloys with some snow tyres on them for those alpine trips - now a distant memory!

The first review on Black Circles is a VW Cali owner (not me, mine are 3 yrs old)
Thanks, we’ve specced them on our factory order so I’m presuming they’re the correct load rating! Apparently the ones that have been coming through of late are Michelin Cross Climates or Bridgestone somethings but the dealer doesn’t know for sure until it arrives. It will be a VW approved tyre though. Not a bad upgrade for £174 I think!

we spec'd the all weather 235s on ours and got the Bridgestone Weather Control A005. After 1 year and 5k miles, one went pop whilst I was doing 70 on the motorway the other week, fortunately one of the rears and I had no issues with the handling - the 'smart motorway' didn't help, but I digress!

We're now looking at putting on the higher load rated 215s as I've completely lost confidence in the lower rated 235s.

Another possible consideration is that you can't (officially) put snow chains on the 235s - they're too wide.

Last weekend I picked up a set of wheels with 215s on for £200, when I get some time I'll swap them over and see what the ride is like, if it's acceptable then I'll shell out for a new set of 215 all seasons.

I've been faffing about with tyre choices ever since I bought my used Cali. At the time it had the factory fitted Hankooks which I always hated as they never seemed to have enough grip either when taking off into traffic or braking hard. My choices were limited by the 16in wheels but I couldn't decide between All Terrains (with my muddy camping fields in mind) or All Seasons.
Now forced to deal with the question by the need for new tyres, I've acquired some 17in wheels for more tyre choice and plumped for Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons.
Only been on a few days but I'm really pleased with the grip and the way they drive!
Not tried mud yet!

Narrow tyres with a higher profile are better and preferred as they need to cut through to find grip with the exception of sand i.e. soft sand on a beach.

we spec'd the all weather 235s on ours and got the Bridgestone Weather Control A005. After 1 year and 5k miles, one went pop whilst I was doing 70 on the motorway the other week, fortunately one of the rears and I had no issues with the handling - the 'smart motorway' didn't help, but I digress!

We're now looking at putting on the higher load rated 215s as I've completely lost confidence in the lower rated 235s.

Another possible consideration is that you can't (officially) put snow chains on the 235s - they're too wide.

Last weekend I picked up a set of wheels with 215s on for £200, when I get some time I'll swap them over and see what the ride is like, if it's acceptable then I'll shell out for a new set of 215 all seasons.
Agree. I think the load rating for the California is too low. I have a SUV that runs at a similar weight and the front is 110 / rear is 112.......

I've run the A005 and go through these circa 10k miles on the front. Just not man enough

Take the cheapest factory option available .... then when you take delivery fit the best all season tyres you can afford - sell the factory tyres on EBay. I did this and fitted Michelin Cross Climate 2 - done 22000 km on them and wear is good, traction, noise and fuel consumption are also fine but I have no comparison. I've been though one winter in southern Germany / Austria - but it is also a 4Motion so this helps. Very happy with the tyres and would buy them again. For really bad snow use snow chains. There are roads around me where snow-chains are compulsory so I can't avoid carrying them. There was an incident which blocked the Austrian autobahn and it was possible to leave and travel over the mountains - the police were placed on all the exits and were turning back anyone without snow-chains. Finally, it is so much more convenient not having to swap wheels twice a year - as sods law dictates you'll get snow and ice as soon as you fit your summer wheels, and it will be gloriously dry and sunny as soon as you fit your winter tyres - been doing this on my company car for 20 years and you never get the timing right.
Hi, Ive just changed my tyres to Michelin Cross Climates Too;225/65R17 Have you any advice on pressures as manual says 44-55psi? Paul N

Hi, Ive just changed my tyres to Michelin Cross Climates Too;225/65R17 Have you any advice on pressures as manual says 44-55psi? Paul N
See the photo below for pressures, although your tyres are not a standard size I think.

IMG_2380.jpeg

I used the pressures on the chart stuck inside the drivers door (as posted by @Kayleigh). I have 255/45 R18 103Y and both front and rear are at 45psi. ... I never unload all the camping and kitchen gear so it's quite heavy.

I used the pressures on the chart stuck inside the drivers door (as posted by @Kayleigh). I have 255/45 R18 103Y and both front and rear are at 45psi. ... I never unload all the camping and kitchen gear so it's quite heavy.
Agreed. 43 to 45 PSI is just right for a fully loaded 255/45/18 tyre.
After time on motorway at 70mph, hot summer temps, tyre goes up to 49 psi whilst driving.

Back