Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

All Weather Tyre Option

Justinitus1972

Justinitus1972

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All

First post here, in the process of speccing a new Cali. Probably the Ocean, maybe the Surf.

One of the options we are considering is the all weather tyre option at £174. These tyres are 235/55 R17 with super low rolling resistance! No other details online.

Has anyone specced these? Any affect on the mpg?

Thanks

Tyres are always a compromise; all weather are not winter - they will be better than a summer tyre in winter but they won’t be snow-conquerors. If you don’t envisage travelling on untreated roads in winter on a regular basis, I wouldn’t bother.

I wish I had ordered them on mine, they have a softer tread and require a lower PSI than that standard fit 215 eco tyres so give a more comfortable ride, I’m not sure however on the trade off with the worst MPG…. I drove back home today from Rutland Water today, a 35 mile trip and I managed 44MPG which is pretty decent!

We have an ocean on order and selected the all weather tyre option but in the 215 width. Most of our work vans run 4 season tyres all year round and I personally prefer to be in a van with these fitted during the winter months and don't feel any compromise in the summertime.

Traveled over a lot of cobbles and concrete slab roads this weekend. Would not have liked to do that with 215's

IMO, I’d stick with using summer for spring / summer and winters for autumn / winter.
It’s 3 tonne of metal and I want to keep it the roof side up.
Be able to stop in an emergency.
Climb steep snow covered roads.
£700 for a set of 18” winters and £40 every 6 months. It’s a no brainer.
The two sets of tyres should last me 70k miles.
So around 7 years…….
I don’t understand the logic of UK drivers…
Glad the Germans / EU instilled some knowledge 15 years ago to me.

Hi All

First post here, in the process of speccing a new Cali. Probably the Ocean, maybe the Surf.

One of the options we are considering is the all weather tyre option at £174. These tyres are 235/55 R17 with super low rolling resistance! No other details online.

Thanks
Wider tyres also look better! The 215’s look so skinny!

IMO, I’d stick with using summer for spring / summer and winters for autumn / winter.
So around 7 years…….
Agree. I used to adopt this methodology when I used to use my vehicle more (I cycle to work these days); it is the best combination by far. There’s an almost “institutional misunderstanding” of winter tyres in the UK; lots of people assume they’re “snow tyres” and therefore irrelevant unless you live in Aviemore. Of course they will work work very well on snow, but they’re a great benefit whenever the temps drop below 7 deg C

All Season 235 width will be better on wet grass or very wet roads.
I did find some time ago that All season tyres had a slightly smaller outer diameter than the Summer version, the Manufacturer quoted EU regs as to their design spec. but didn't explain why. I thought this might explain a slightly lower MPG figure which isn't wallet busting anyhow.

For £174 you will have an all year tyre which will suit most use unless you intend to travel in snowy conditions for a few weeks each winter, they come with the 3peak symbol making them legal for winter use in places that require it.

I can't recall anyone changing from 235 to 215 tyres which may or may not give a guide.

Thank you all for the advice, it’s very much appreciated. It’s exciting speccing a Cali, but nerve racking too to a degree, as we want to make the right choices!

We live in rural Wiltshire with I think possibly the worst roads in the UK for potholes, water running off the hills after heavy rain, flooded A and B roads, plus (with the exception of main routes) the lack of gritting in winter.

Winter tyres do have their appeal, but I have nowhere to store a spare set of tyres. Maybe one day down the line, but not now.

The All Weather factory option in 235mm is appealing. I’ve read above (and elsewhere) that they run lower pressures than the 215’s, despite a slightly lower profile, and are softer. To me, this reads better general ride quality plus some extra grip on wet sites etc - as mention in the replies above. So I’m keen!

What does concern me is effect on mpg. The Cali will be our daily driver on mainly town routes, B and flowing A roads. We need the best mpg we can get really. Can anyone give me a figure? Tough ask I know, but maybe someone has used both types! Also, are they quieter/noisier/same?

Really appreciate the help everyone! Next up will be comfort mattress and ext shower questions!!

Thank you all for the advice, it’s very much appreciated. It’s exciting speccing a Cali, but nerve racking too to a degree, as we want to make the right choices!

We live in rural Wiltshire with I think possibly the worst roads in the UK for potholes, water running off the hills after heavy rain, flooded A and B roads, plus (with the exception of main routes) the lack of gritting in winter.

Winter tyres do have their appeal, but I have nowhere to store a spare set of tyres. Maybe one day down the line, but not now.

The All Weather factory option in 235mm is appealing. I’ve read above (and elsewhere) that they run lower pressures than the 215’s, despite a slightly lower profile, and are softer. To me, this reads better general ride quality plus some extra grip on wet sites etc - as mention in the replies above. So I’m keen!

What does concern me is effect on mpg. The Cali will be our daily driver on mainly town routes, B and flowing A roads. We need the best mpg we can get really. Can anyone give me a figure? Tough ask I know, but maybe someone has used both types! Also, are they quieter/noisier/same?

Really appreciate the help everyone! Next up will be comfort mattress and ext shower questions!!
Actually the same profile as one is 60% and the other is 55% of the width. You just gain 20mm of tread width.

If you have a local‘ish Kwik Fit / ATS / tyre fitters, they will store your tyres for a small charge.

If you have a local‘ish Kwik Fit / ATS / tyre fitters, they will store your tyres for a small charge.

Hi All

Thanks
You get what they give you aat the factory. Mine came with Bridgestone Weather Control A005 which imho are unsuited to the vehicle. I had three punctures from stones in five months, they are too soft and the sidewalls not strong enough. Not keen on directional tyres either. Others have had similar experiences, do a search in the forum. I ended up changing them for Michelin Latitude Cross which are much more durable, though less fuel efficient.

Take the cheapest factory option available .... then when you take delivery fit the best all season tyres you can afford - sell the factory tyres on EBay. I did this and fitted Michelin Cross Climate 2 - done 22000 km on them and wear is good, traction, noise and fuel consumption are also fine but I have no comparison. I've been though one winter in southern Germany / Austria - but it is also a 4Motion so this helps. Very happy with the tyres and would buy them again. For really bad snow use snow chains. There are roads around me where snow-chains are compulsory so I can't avoid carrying them. There was an incident which blocked the Austrian autobahn and it was possible to leave and travel over the mountains - the police were placed on all the exits and were turning back anyone without snow-chains. Finally, it is so much more convenient not having to swap wheels twice a year - as sods law dictates you'll get snow and ice as soon as you fit your summer wheels, and it will be gloriously dry and sunny as soon as you fit your winter tyres - been doing this on my company car for 20 years and you never get the timing right.

So around 7 years…….
I'd have agreed with 15 years ago, or even 5. But all seasons now are so good they outperform dedicated winter tyres from a few years ago without being too compromised in other conditions . So depends where you live, but I'd spec quality All Seasons on a camper. You'll always appreciate them in wet campsites etc.

Factory All Season tyres fitted for me were Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons and they are quality.

I'd have agreed with 15 years ago, or even 5. But all seasons now are so good they outperform dedicated winter tyres from a few years ago without being too compromised in other conditions . So depends where you live, but I'd spec quality All Seasons on a camper. You'll always appreciate them in wet campsites etc.

Factory All Season tyres fitted for me were Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons and they are quality.
Absolutely true.
But it’s a bit of a minefield for a California.
The Michelin cross climates do have a great tread pattern for wet n muddy fields for sure

When I specced all season tyres on our 4Motion Cali, unbeknown to me at the time it put the vehicle into the next VED band by 1 gram of CO2. In retrospect I would have stuck with normal tyres and sourced all weather ones later. It might not be the case with all tyres, but probably worth checking.

Doesn’t make any difference these days as all calis ( except beach tour) are taxed the same.

Related, but I've seen some remarks that not all Cali's are V5'd as a motor caravan now, but my understanding is a new one should be?

Hi All

Thanks
If new to van ownership, be certain that the tyre load rating is sufficient, the Cali is a bit of a lump! Just because the tyre is the correct size, it may not be correct or legal for the van. I found out when trying to buy snow tyres, it cut the options significantly.

I'm sure some expert on here will know the minimum value for your van, but I know when I bought mine it was running on load rating 97 rubber. I was told by a garage 103 was the minimum for a transporter and if I'd had an insurance claim I probably wouldn't be covered.

They do OK in snow, but very good on both muddy campsites and a good quiet ride on the road are Michelin latitude Cross. Perhaps a thought. A bit of a luxury, but I then have a set of slightly bashed alloys with some snow tyres on them for those alpine trips - now a distant memory!

The first review on Black Circles is a VW Cali owner (not me, mine are 3 yrs old)

Back