Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alloy Wheel Lock Nut - Can’t Remove!

A common problem is garages tightening the security bolt with an air gun. Almost always overtightened.
This is true, but these days they usually go round with a torque wrench too.

Just had my rear discs done before I changed to my winter tyres, local garage obviously used a windy gun to tighten, snapped a wheel brace using a scaffold pole before employing a long breaker bar to get the nuts undone, even the lock nut survived this treatment. Now I always carry a breaker bar with an impact driver socket which is a very strong hex socket unlikely to round the nut heads or break.

Who at home has a torque wrench

I do, don’t have a clue how to use it, but I have one.
I'm an engineer. I have never ever used one to fasteny wheels on. And I've never ever seen a garage use one either. So to say I am idiotic by putting less pressure on the puzzle nut is an idiotic comment unless you always use a torque wrench. And I doubt anyone does

I'm an engineer. I have never ever used one to fasteny wheels on. And I've never ever seen a garage use one either. So to say I am idiotic by putting less pressure on the puzzle nut is an idiotic comment unless you always use a torque wrench. And I doubt anyone does
A Real World Engineer:thumb:thumb

i bet you use Swarfega rather than rubber gloves?

Well, I can assure you most garages these days do use a torque wrench, even VW and ATS.
Suggesting that it’s a good idea to leave a wheel nut loose because it might be hard to remove is still completely idiotic. Better solutions are available.
I haven’t called anybody an idiot by the way.
Nobody at the side of the road uses a torque wrench to change a spare wheel, all fasteners should be tight still.
I completed a 5 year apprenticeship as a helicopter engineer before university, so plenty of real world experience.

I hope your wheels don’t fall off!

Well, I can assure you most garages these days do use a torque wrench, even VW and ATS.
Suggesting that it’s a good idea to leave a wheel nut loose because it might be hard to remove is still completely idiotic. Better solutions are available.
I haven’t called anybody an idiot by the way.
Nobody at the side of the road uses a torque wrench to change a spare wheel, all fasteners should be tight still.
I completed a 5 year apprenticeship as a helicopter engineer before university, so plenty of real world experience.

I hope your wheels don’t fall off!
On this
24687427-FA7D-4252-BB83-4AA11D264CFE.jpeg

or this

6C5D3258-103F-4E1D-BF99-98A49EE58425.jpeg

;)

On these. I only gave it up because I was sick of being freezing cold the hangar in winter. Happy days.

The Jet Ranger (yellow) has a single nut holding on the complete rotor head. It was frowned upon even the to just guess how tight it should be be!

1578110945858.jpeg
1578111011662.jpeg

That wheel could have easily been knocked off course and
into the grass verve on the right using the side of the vehicle.

I would like to think that i would have tried it at least,
rather than watch some sucker bite the dust.