Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HELP - Locking wheel nut :(

B

benluckman

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi! Just sorting out winter tyres and found we don't have/weren't given/have lost the locking wheel nut.

Don't know if there are only so many types. On the off-chance anyone has the same or has any info about the types.

Here's what ours looks like.

(Based in Bedford and willing to travel if you think you have the the same nut)

LWN.jpg

Is it defo not in the dashboard glovebox, its usually in a hi viz sleeve?

Myself and my wife have been completely through, up and down, inside and out and can't find it. :(

Panic is growing as this is a potential stopper for our snowboarding holiday in Austria on Wednesday. Eeek.

Wouoldnt panic too much. It must happen all the time. Just phone Ats or Kwik fit, bet they've got tools to remove them, can imagine you will then need a new set of locking wheels nuts though

Wouoldnt panic too much. It must happen all the time. Just phone Ats or Kwik fit, bet they've got tools to remove them, can imagine you will then need a new set of locking wheels nuts though

You'd think. Most processes are potentially destructive. Tapping/forcing them out will be a last measure.

I think Halfords actually sell a tool for removing them. I'd recommend getting a set of McGuard bolts if you are removing wheels fairly regularly. The slot depth on the VW ones is nowhere near deep enough and wears quickly causing the key to slip off. Ours went when we had the winter steels on so managed to get a Stillson wrench on it to get it off. Different if you have alloys on with a deep hole for the bolts. Real PITA.

UPDATE: After some frantic efforts, the new locking wheel nut didn't arrive in time (Royal Mail's fault - lockingwheelnutkeys.com where very good and responsive)

Took the van over the the nearest VW commercial service centre (Milton Keynes) who were excellent and removed the bolts and replaced with non-locking ones - free of charge! :-D (also booked into to have the drivers heated seat fixed - finally)

Took back to tyre garage to have steel wheels with winter tyres put on - apparently they need different, steel rather than alloy, bolts.

So... had them fit the winter tyres, which were already on the steels, to the alloys and visa versa, so we could drive to Austria.

Got home and found that it looks like the garage were trying to fit the steels the wrong way around. #facepalm

Anyway, got to Austria, had our ski holiday and drove back. :-D Now to sort out the wheels and tyres....

(Off to TransporterHQ next week for new V2 LED headlights!!)

UPDATE: After some frantic efforts, the new locking wheel nut didn't arrive in time (Royal Mail's fault - lockingwheelnutkeys.com where very good and responsive)

Took the van over the the nearest VW commercial service centre (Milton Keynes) who were excellent and removed the bolts and replaced with non-locking ones - free of charge! :-D (also booked into to have the drivers heated seat fixed - finally)

Took back to tyre garage to have steel wheels with winter tyres put on - apparently they need different, steel rather than alloy, bolts.

So... had them fit the winter tyres, which were already on the steels, to the alloys and visa versa, so we could drive to Austria.

Got home and found that it looks like the garage were trying to fit the steels the wrong way around. #facepalm

Anyway, got to Austria, had our ski holiday and drove back. :-D Now to sort out the wheels and tyres....

(Off to TransporterHQ next week for new V2 LED headlights!!)

As far as I'm aware the same bolts are used for both alloy and steel wheels on both T5 and T6 vans.

As far as I'm aware the same bolts are used for both alloy and steel wheels on both T5 and T6 vans.

That's what I suspected. The fact they were probably putting the steel wheels on backwards/inside-out probably has something to do with it.

That's what I suspected. The fact they were probably putting the steel wheels on backwards/inside-out probably has something to do with it.
I have Alloy wheels and same size Steel Spare 17". Same Bolts

Back