Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alloys Decision Help

Hi All,
Thanks for all the input on the alloys and also some good points on our colour choice.
We did like the white but might have been an easy choice as it was free we are now considering changing to Fontana Red ( our sales rep will be sick of me)
We are unsure about another couple of options.
1. There are no parking sensors as standard , €700 approx to have front and back and another €300 to have the full park assist. I had ordered the full park assist but now thinking of dropping it. Do you guys think it's a good option to have?
2. I have ordered the bike carrier €900
We have a young son who is learning to cycle at the moment, not sure if to go with it now as maybe go with a factory fitted towbar and then if we need it get a towbar bike rack, this way I can put it on as needed.
We are spending a lot of money on this van and intend to keep it for a long time and use it as our main car.
I don't want to regret not addind an option just because of saving some money but I also don't want to waste money.
We also had lane assist but cancelled that too as from what I read on here a lot of people turn it off.
We would be happy to hear any advice.
Many thanks.

Hi All,
Thanks for all the input on the alloys and also some good points on our colour choice.
We did like the white but might have been an easy choice as it was free we are now considering changing to Fontana Red ( our sales rep will be sick of me)
1. There are no parking sensors as standard , €700 approx to have front and back and another €300 to have the full park assist. I had ordered the full park assist but now thinking of dropping it. Do you guys think it's a good option to have?
We have a young son who is learning to cycle at the moment, not sure if to go with it now as maybe go with a factory fitted towbar and then if we need it get a towbar bike rack, this way I can put it on as needed.
We are spending a lot of money on this van and intend to keep it for a long time and use it as our main car.
I don't want to regret not addind an option just because of saving some money but I also don't want to waste money.
We also had lane assist but cancelled that too as from what I read on here a lot of people turn it off.
Many thanks.
Definitely need front and rear sensors as a minimum. It’s got great visibility but you need sensors. Not sure about park assist.
We have had rear bike carrier for 9 years and it works well for us 4. If one day you’ll be 4 with bikes, it works well. If one day you’ll be 4 who go swimming, it’s also vital for drying towels and trunks.
The tow bar method is better for allowing you to be able to open the boot possibly and the bike carrier has advantage of just being there all the time. It’s a straight choice.

Fontana red looks great.
Car colours are a fashion thing. White is v popular now but if you’re planning on keeping it for years you might change your mind. Also as an owner of a solid red 2008 Golf I wouldn’t get a VW solid colour again. They are higher maintenance. IMO curvy cars look good in solids, angular cars with large flat areas look good in metallic.

Hello All,
I have made a couple of speck changes to our Ocean edition which we ordered last week, i just can't decide on the 18" alloys ,what do you lovely people think, Palmerston's or Valdivia's View attachment 80915View attachment 80916
Hi Steve, I am in ireland too about to purchase an edition ocean. Same dilemma, with such an expensive vehicle the alloy selection is so limited. I saw the Valdivia's in the showroom and I was not blown away, where as the Palmerston do seem to have bit more of a wow factor. But, the Palmerston could be hard to keep. How did you make up your mind in the end?

Hi All,
Many thanks.
Hi @StevoC are you still looking for answers, and able to change your spec?

Parking - keep the full parking options.

Personally I find having the best parking assistance available really makes using a bigger vehicle more relaxing.

Knowing ahead that you can probably squeeze in to normal parking spots without having to find an end spot is great. It's about 1% of your overall vehicle cost, and if it saves you from one or two parking damage scrapes then pays for itself.

Lane assist, my experience is I find it a nice little assistance running in the background keeping an eye out for me.

You need to have the right perspective, of course it's going to nudge you from day to day, ignore it if you want, but it's not there for that. Its there for those rare times, when you're maybe driving bit tired (e.g full day drive through France), and you just start to go across the line without noticing, bam, brings you back in.

Towbar... You lost me, what have you ordered and what are your reasons for changing?

I've ordered the removable towbar, it's a bit pricey but creates the easy bike ride trips, and costs way more to add after.

Colour - did you change from white to red? I swore I'd never have a red car again (after a few old bangers dated badly), but... That Fortana is pretty damn cool! Combine it with some black pieces and wheels and looks awesome!

1630345918406.png

Hi Steve, I am in ireland too about to purchase an edition ocean. Same dilemma, with such an expensive vehicle the alloy selection is so limited. I saw the Valdivia's in the showroom and I was not blown away, where as the Palmerston do seem to have bit more of a wow factor. But, the Palmerston could be hard to keep. How did you make up your mind in the end?
Hi Colin,
I'd have loved the option to get black springfield's. I think they would look good with the white van.
Have you placed your order yet? What speck and did you get any news regarding delivery?

Hi @StevoC are you still looking for answers, and able to change your spec?

Parking - keep the full parking options.

Personally I find having the best parking assistance available really makes using a bigger vehicle more relaxing.

Knowing ahead that you can probably squeeze in to normal parking spots without having to find an end spot is great. It's about 1% of your overall vehicle cost, and if it saves you from one or two parking damage scrapes then pays for itself.

Lane assist, my experience is I find it a nice little assistance running in the background keeping an eye out for me.

You need to have the right perspective, of course it's going to nudge you from day to day, ignore it if you want, but it's not there for that. Its there for those rare times, when you're maybe driving bit tired (e.g full day drive through France), and you just start to go across the line without noticing, bam, brings you back in.

Towbar... You lost me, what have you ordered and what are your reasons for changing?

I've ordered the removable towbar, it's a bit pricey but creates the easy bike ride trips, and costs way more to add after.

Colour - did you change from white to red? I swore I'd never have a red car again (after a few old bangers dated badly), but... That Fortana is pretty damn cool! Combine it with some black pieces and wheels and looks awesome!

View attachment 83803
Hi Two-Saabs,
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I have my final spec submitted.
We stayed with the White Van & Valdivia's 18" Alloys
Discover media pro
80 LT tank
Removable Towbar
Bright Oak Cupboards
Light Assist High Beam Control
Side assist - lane assist
Trailer assist with park assist front rear and side protection
Dynamic road sign display
Gooseneck lamp
4 Keys
Mud flaps front and rear
Wooden floor
Lockable storage compartment
Tyre pressure monitoring system
Heated windshield

The extras have come to a cool €7281.35

We went with the towbar so as to have the option carrying bike later instead of having a fixed bike rack on the tailgate.
The Fontana Red looks amazing alright especially with black alloys. The colour was the hardest decision for my wife and i but we kept coming back to the white, we had went with the strawberry roof canvas but dropped it because of the red tint it can give inside the van.
We are happy with our spec and understand the options a bit better now :)

M soooo pleased to see you
Hi Two-Saabs,
Discover media pro
80 LT tank
Removable Towbar
Bright Oak Cupboards
Gooseneck lamp
4 Keys
Mud flaps front and rear
Wooden floor
Heated windshield

We went with the towbar so as to have the option carrying bike later instead of having a fixed bike rack on the tailgate.
The Fontana Red looks amazing alright especially with black alloys. The colour was the hardest decision for my wife and i but we kept coming back to the white, we had went with the strawberry roof canvas but dropped it because of the red tint it can give inside the van.
We are happy with our spec and understand the options a bit bette go for the amazing
Hi Two-Saabs,
Discover media pro
80 LT tank
Removable Towbar
Bright Oak Cupboards
Gooseneck lamp
4 Keys
Mud flaps front and rear
Wooden floor
Heated windshield

We are happy with our spec and understand the options a bit better now :)
I’m sooo pleased to didn’t go for the amazing VW torch. At £80 an absolute bargain. Ours fell to peaces just after the warranty expired and is now held together with sellotape..

Hi Colin,
I'd have loved the option to get black springfield's. I think they would look good with the white van.
Have you placed your order yet? What speck and did you get any news regarding delivery?
Hi again Steve, not far from what you ordered.. The edition has a few nice standard extras including the art velour seats, which I hear are durable and easy to clean. I originally went for the 150 engine but in the end changed to the 204, as I have been driving a 204 Coast for three years and enjoyed it. As I hope this California will last us for between 5-10years I went for nearly all the edition options, with the exception of power sliding door and trailer assist. Looks like the main differences compared to your spec. is the bike rack, anti-roll bars and the indium grey colour. It was a hard decision but went for the Palmerston wheels in the end. I do not have a production date yet, hopefully before the summer.

Bit of a change again :/
Went from Candy White to Indium Grey and from Valdivia alloys to Teresina alloys.
Screen shot from vw configurator page.

Ocean_Edition.JPG

Went from Candy White to Indium Grey and from Valdivia alloys to Teresina alloys.

View attachment 84764
Great move. You said you'd love black Springfields - is the sports pack not available in Ireland? Teresinas look great though

Hi again Steve, not far from what you ordered.. The edition has a few nice standard extras including the art velour seats, which I hear are durable and easy to clean. I originally went for the 150 engine but in the end changed to the 204, as I have been driving a 204 Coast for three years and enjoyed it. As I hope this California will last us for between 5-10years I went for nearly all the edition options, with the exception of power sliding door and trailer assist. Looks like the main differences compared to your spec. is the bike rack, anti-roll bars and the indium grey colour. It was a hard decision but went for the Palmerston wheels in the end. I do not have a production date yet, hopefully before the summer.
Are upgraded anti roll bars an option in Ireland?

Great move. You said you'd love black Springfields - is the sports pack not available in Ireland? Teresinas look great though
Hi 66tim99,

No sports pack available in Ireland unfortunately, i could have ordered the black springfields at an extra cost of €3500, i just couldn't bring myself to pay that. Maybe in a few years ill look at changing but over all im happy with the look of the Teresina's.

Are upgraded anti roll bars an option in Ireland?
Hi, yes you can order them in Ireland. But, we can’t order the DCC chassis control! There is quite a difference between what VW Ireland and VW UK decide on for the market as options.

Hi, yes you can order them in Ireland. But, we can’t order the DCC chassis control! There is quite a difference between what VW Ireland and VW UK decide on for the market as options.
Difficult to understand why, when these options are available to fit at the factory, you would deny your customers options. UK don't have Edition, but do have sports pack, don't have upgraded ARBs but do have DCC.
It's £600 fitted to upgrade the ARBs (H&R 30mm) here, what does it cost from the factory...?

Difficult to understand why, when these options are available to fit at the factory, you would deny your customers options. UK don't have Edition, but do have sports pack, don't have upgraded ARBs but do have DCC.
It's £600 fitted to upgrade the ARBs (H&R 30mm) here, what does it cost from the factory...?
Totally agree with you on the limitations, someone else decides what we get! Price and description attached for ARB, no more info

2FDBFABC-0F41-4173-9FDA-0D98FBCEFA8C.jpeg

View attachment 84764
Just a personal opinion but why would anyone get a grey vehicle? I just don’t get it.
We have a red Golf GTI and our champagne California, which was 2nd hand so didn’t choose but now love.
There seem to be some great colours. Personally love the dark burgundy and mintish green.
Perhaps you have need for stealth? I dunno. But grey is just soooo grey.

Back