Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Altering the Kitchen 240 socket

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Does anyone know how to remove the silver cover that holds the side by side 240 and the 12v sockets on the side of the kitchen?
I want to rotate the 240 socket so that the earth is at the bottom and the live pins at the top.

When we are away we use a double socket (with care) but it rests on the glass worktop and I want to put it up higher, out of the way. The cable to the double socke has to be turned through 180degrees when it comes out of the kitchen socket which effectively shortens it.

If I could turn the socket through 180degrees it would avoid this.

David

I use an adapter with 3 sockets all with switches, I use heavy duty velcro to hold it in position, very neat and can be left in position. Save altering the socket.

I use an adapter with 3 sockets all with switches, I use heavy duty velcro to hold it in position, very neat and can be left in position. Save altering the socket.
Many thanks Calicliff, Brilliant Idea and not expensive either.

What a good forum this is!

image.png
Many thanks Calicliff, Brilliant Idea and not expensive either.

What a good forum this is!
I would still like to find out how to do that :) I am planning to remove 12v Hella Socket and install 2x USB instead, see the picture. Anyone any idea on how to approach this without damaging anything??

Hello again, still in the topic of altering 240/230v socket - I haven't found anything on how to remove the 12v/120W Hella socket anywhere. Has anyone ever done that? I don't need it but would really make use of 2x USB charging sockets. I am afraid I will break something if i use too much force.

Hello again, still in the topic of altering 240/230v socket - I haven't found anything on how to remove the 12v/120W Hella socket anywhere. Has anyone ever done that? I don't need it but would really make use of 2x USB charging sockets. I am afraid I will break something if i use too much force.
Hi Wojciech,
Rather than moving the socket itself with all the attendant risks/problems this entails have you considered putting a double USB socket into the your 12v socket? There are a number available on Amazon and elsewhere. I found them on :
Amazon.co.uk: double 12v usb

Hope that helps

Hi Wojciech,
Rather than moving the socket itself with all the attendant risks/problems this entails have you considered putting a double USB socket into the your 12v socket? There are a number available on Amazon and elsewhere. I found them on :
Amazon.co.uk: double 12v usb

Hope that helps

Hello David,

thanks you very much for your help on this. I might end up buying one of these but as I am a minimalist, I always look for solutions that do not include additional cables hanging around :) I looked for "double usb 12v hella" and here's what I could find, nothing interesting apart from first position really. It would be only a little extension of my USB cable. Pretty good. Thanks again!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=double+usb+12v+hella

Anyway, still keen on learning how to remove the Hella socket. So if anyone on the forum knows, I'd be more than grateful for sharing.

Last edited:
Most of these types of socket are held on by a nut which screws down against the door card around the threaded body of the 12v socket, so they must be removed from behind, so the door card will probably need to come off...

Hello David,

thanks you very much for your help on this. I might end up buying one of these but as I am a minimalist, I always look for solutions that do not include additional cables hanging around :) I looked for "double usb 12v hella" and here's what I could find, nothing interesting apart from first position really. It would be only a little extension of my USB cable. Pretty good. Thanks again!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=double+usb+12v+hella

Anyway, still keen on learning how to remove the Hella socket. So if anyone on the forum knows, I'd be more than grateful for sharing.
For information, my search was Amazon.co.uk: double usb port car charger. and gave chargers that had no wires and just sat in the socket like cigarette lighter but with the double usb outlet.
If it helps, I have a Maplin single USB charger which works in all my 12v sockets including the one we are talking about by the kitchen sink. (the fact one is a Hella seems to make no difference)

For information, my search was Amazon.co.uk: double usb port car charger. and gave chargers that had no wires and just sat in the socket like cigarette lighter but with the double usb outlet.
If it helps, I have a Maplin single USB charger which works in all my 12v sockets including the one we are talking about by the kitchen sink. (the fact one is a Hella seems to make no difference)

Ah, I wasn't sure at the beginning but it looks like we have different sockets in kitchen, mine is this bit thinner Hella type and it doesn't match anything else in my Cali. Additionally I have this MagCode socket in the boot, so that makes 3 different types of sockets. Not sure what was the point in any of this but sure proved to be bad idea hearing you have the usual 12v socket in you Cali! Thanks again.

The Cali is a 2006 ! Different from T6
Sorry, I was referring to the 12v socket - the socket designs haven't changed in donkeys years, so my observation still valid.
I can't comment on the 240volt socket.

OK, photo is useful - can you get behind the socketsÂż

that's the problem, it's not easy, perhaps if you remove the sink? Not sure at all but for sure no way of sticking my hand behind it. But you may be right, it may be possible to unmount it from the back. I will play it it over the weekend. Report any findings.

Hi David,

Maybe these pics of our continental friends might give some clues how to unmount the sockets? See link below.

As for rewiring in the cabinet, you surely have to remove the sink. Quiet a job...
Also, pull the fuses and disconnect from mains, during this job.

(The German board needs signing in, to see the pics. Not a great hassle, just fill in some riddles during free registrating).

All the best from Amsterdam,

Marc.

http://www.caliboard.de/showthread....m-K%FCchenblock-des-Cali-5-2&highlight=230%2A

that's the problem, it's not easy, perhaps if you remove the sink? Not sure at all but for sure no way of sticking my hand behind it. But you may be right, it may be possible to unmount it from the back. I will play it it over the weekend. Report any findings.

If you do have to remove the sink see my download "earth shunt repair" in download section, as i had to remove sink.

Hi David,

Maybe these pics of our continental friends might give some clues how to unmount the sockets? See link below.

As for rewiring in the cabinet, you surely have to remove the sink. Quiet a job...
Also, pull the fuses and disconnect from mains, during this job.

(The German board needs signing in, to see the pics. Not a great hassle, just fill in some riddles during free registrating).

All the best from Amsterdam,

Marc.

http://www.caliboard.de/showthread....m-K%FCchenblock-des-Cali-5-2&highlight=230%2A
Thanks Marc, I have taken advice given on this thread and simply added a triple socket form Ebay that plugs in directly to the Cali 240V socket. Messing about with the plumbing is way above my paygrade :eek:Many thanks for your advice though.

As a matter of interest, when I went onto the site you listed it showed a Cali with the roof hinged at the FRONT which i have never seen before:shocked

A small mirror and torch will help see what is behind the sink where the sockets are.