Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Double Socket

LRGS253

LRGS253

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Is there a good reason why not to fit a double socket in the side of the kitchen unit. I guess it will probably be down to load on the cable?

Is there a good reason why not to fit a double socket in the side of the kitchen unit. I guess it will probably be down to load on the cable?
No reason why not. Just be aware of the current/power requirement.
Campsite Electric hookups vary from 6 to about 13 amp circuits. The Mains Battery Charger will take upto 1amp so you are left with 5 to 12 amps, or 1200 to 2100 watts approximately.
So check what supply the campsite offers and be aware of the power requirements of the appliances you wish to use.

I wonder why it’s acceptable to have the Factory fitted mains socket within millimetres of the sink? You wouldn’t get away with it in your home.

I use a short 2 socket extension lead rather than any permanent mod to the Cali.

I wonder why it’s acceptable to have the Factory fitted mains socket within millimetres of the sink? You wouldn’t get away with it in your home.

I use a short 2 socket extension lead rather than any permanent mod to the Cali.
You can't compare a house and a camper(van) one to one.
There just isn't enough space to put the sockets somewhere else, not within reach of you standing with one hand in the water. You'd better like to have the 220v socket in the boot?

There just isn't enough space to put the sockets somewhere else, not within reach of you standing with one hand in the water. You'd better like to have the 220v socket in the boot?
To answer your question, no, I wouldn’t want the socket in the boot. I was simply making an observation! But I do think the position is particularly vulnerable to spillage.

I understand you cannot compare camper with house/dwelling and their installation regs. But surely the dangers are similar. And you do wonder why of all places within a Cali they had to put the mains socket within inches of the sink.

To answer your question, no, I wouldn’t want the socket in the boot. I was simply making an observation! But I do think the position is particularly vulnerable to spillage.
That surely is right.
I understand you cannot compare camper with house/dwelling and their installation regs. But surely the dangers are similar. And you do wonder why of all places within a Cali they had to put the mains socket within inches of the sink.
No, I don't wonder why.
But if you look closely, in big whites, the sockets mostly are in the direct neighbourhood of the sink too. On the other hand, in big whites, they have space above the sink, instead of under the sink of course.
But because of the safety switch, there will be no problems if water gets in the socket.

That surely is right.

No, I don't wonder why.
But if you look closely, in big whites, the sockets mostly are in the direct neighbourhood of the sink too. On the other hand, in big whites, they have space above the sink, instead of under the sink of course.
But because of the safety switch, there will be no problems if water gets in the socket.
Maybe I’ve missed something with video but it seemed to demonstrate that there was no safety cut out when the live sockets were saturated in water and that it would likely that the water would be carrying mains current And therefore a hazard.

If the water would short circuit, the light should go out, because the current should flow from the "+" to the "-" (AC has no + and -) through the least resistant way = the water. But because the light doesn't go out, this means that the current is not flowing from the "+" to the "-", and thus there is no electricity in the water.
This does not mean you have to take a hairdryer with you in the shower or bath.
It just shows that either this is a fake video, or the hazard is, as always, over reacted.

Every post about the danger of electricity comes from a UK resident. Wondering what position the N is.

In Belgium there are not a lot of houses with 3 phase + N electricity.
Most only have 3 phase, and older houses will only have 1 phase electricity. Then there just is no N. How are we supposed to connect electrical appliances then?

1596891678648.png
The triangle shows a 3 phase network, it has no N-line. This is the 3x220V
The star (ster) shows a 3 phase network. The connection node is the N. Then we have the 3x380V with N.

But of course this is way :offtopic

Back