Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Am I not supposed to be able to lock the door manually...?

piddi

piddi

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Central lock broken on my front driver side, but when I put the key in I can't turn it around at all. Is it suppose to be like this? Is there any other way to manually lock it, until i get the central lock to work?

I can't just push down the knob on the inside of the door, and the button on the door is not locking it either.

Central lock broken on my front driver side, but when I put the key in I can't turn it around at all. Is it suppose to be like this? Is there any other way to manually lock it, until i get the central lock to work?

I can't just push down the knob on the inside of the door, and the button on the door is not locking it either.
Probably seized up as it has never been used. Worth using the key and some lubrication on an occasional basis to keep the manual lock working.

WD 40 and an airline(hose), if you dont have an airline handy you can use a football pump adapter (the thin nozzle) and take it with you to your local garage and use that in their tyre inflator in the lock to try and blast the muck out, you can also use your vacuum cleaner pipe in the lock and try and suck it clean..

Last edited:
Don't use WD40 in locks it will wax up in the end and cause problems, use a graphite base lube ideally or GT85. I have a surf key that I use at least twice a week when doing sport stuff, never had a problem.

Don't use WD40 in locks it will wax up in the end and cause problems, use a graphite base lube ideally or GT85. I have a surf key that I use at least twice a week when doing sport stuff, never had a problem.
Good tip. I have been using WD40 for ages on outdoor locks. Had to call the Locksmith the other day all jammed up. Will have to google Graphite Based lubes.

Good tip. I have been using WD40 for ages on outdoor locks. Had to call the Locksmith the other day all jammed up. Will have to google Graphite Based lubes.
Pencil lead shavings work if you're really stuck, difficult to get in a door lock tho! Try scribbling/rubbing over the key.

I was trying to offer "emergency" type help, as the OP needed to free up and already gummed up lock; for maintenance I use a ptfe spray as a dry lubricant.. Halfrauds sell a very nice PTFE spray.

Probably seized up as it has never been used. Worth using the key and some lubrication on an occasional basis to keep the manual lock working.
Hi WG , I see you have steel sidebars, apart from looking very nice are the benefits only athetic?

Hi WG , I see you have steel sidebars, apart from looking very nice are the benefits only athetic?
The fact that they both have dings on them, No. And before anyone says, it wasn’t me.

nb: There are no dings on the body panels after almost 8 yrs and a lot of miles.

Back