Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Amber tyre pressure light

GillianC

GillianC

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Apologies if this is a daft question but coming down the M27 this afternoon an orange warning light came on telling me to check and reset the tyre pressures.
I am now on a site and will do a visual check tomorrow to check the tyres look ok before setting off but is this something I need to get sorted out before moving?
I have read the handbook but it is like double Dutch.
I have about 60 miles to go home.
My feeling is that orange is ok with caution. Red is stop.

Apologies if this is a daft question but coming down the M27 this afternoon an orange warning light came on telling me to check and reset the tyre pressures.
I am now on a site and will do a visual check tomorrow to check the tyres look ok before setting off but is this something I need to get sorted out before moving?
Check your tyres over, a look should be fine. I think it uses the ABS wheel teeth to sense different wheel speeds.
You can reset the warning using the dash menu once you check the pressures.
Don't drive on if it's obviously low / flat!

Mine does the same when I am running winter tyres. Each time I check the tyre pressure on each wheel and no issue.

I've put it down to travelling on bumpy roads.

You need to do the checks yourself, so that you know how to handle it in future.

Once checked, simply reset the tyre monitor in the MFD.

It could indicate a slow puncture, do check tyre pressure and if all are correct then use the tyre pressure reset in the MFD so it can learn the new rolling circumference of all 4 corners.
It may be the increase in temperature and you need to reset for the summer.

It could indicate a slow puncture, do check tyre pressure and if all are correct then use the tyre pressure reset in the MFD so it can learn the new rolling circumference of all 4 corners.
It may be the increase in temperature and you need to reset for the summer.
Shouldn’t need resetting/recalibration for changes in Ambient temperature as All tyres should be similarly affected and therefore their rotational speeds remain similar, unless one tyre has a lower pressure to start with, low but within the Limits allowed, in which case the percentage increase due to temperature may produce a rotational difference and an Alarm situation.

Shouldn’t need resetting/recalibration for changes in Ambient temperature as All tyres should be similarly affected and therefore their rotational speeds remain similar, unless one tyre has a lower pressure to start with, low but within the Limits allowed, in which case the percentage increase due to temperature may produce a rotational difference and an Alarm situation.
While I agree with this in theory, every car I have had with Tyre pressure sensors has given me the orange light in temps around Zero. Once reset no further issues.

If they look OK and no clear difference in one tyre being less inflated than the rest its probably ok to assume you can reset the light. (this happened to me the other day but there were reasons for my warning even though I didn't have a puncture).
In the display in your dash behind the steering wheel you need to navigate through the alerts menu and keep on scrolling until you find the tyre pressures & then store it and the light will go out. Assuming all is looking OK you could just leave it until you can check the pressures then do the reset.
Your tyre pressures are on the sticker on the driver door pillar. Read it carefully, not that difficult but even the guy in my local ATS needed educating last week end :rolleyes: so make sure you know what is front and what is rear on the picture,
I understand they need to be checked when tyres are cold really as the air warms up the pressure will change so the figures on the door pillar sticker should be achieved without driving heat in the tyres. I know that ambient temps change too but lets not complicate it.

Good Luck!

While I agree with this in theory, every car I have had with Tyre pressure sensors has given me the orange light in temps around Zero. Once reset no further issues.
My Michelin Cross Climate have been on for 19 months, so 2 winters and 1 summer that was quite warm so the temperature variation has been at least +30c and the warning light has never been on. Tyre pressures checked at least every 2 weeks and maybe a pressure change of 1 or 2 psi occasionally that was corrected and that was basically all round and due to ambient temperature changes. Calibrated once when tyres fitted.

Thanks to all for your advice...much appreciated.

While the tyres looked OK I stopped at a garage about 1 mile from the site and checked with the pressure machine setting them to the recommended levels on the pillar (44 front and 41 rear) - I hope!!!
I drove home on them cautiously and when it is cooler will check with the gauge we have at home and re-set on the panel (out with the manual again!).

Can then monitor them over the next week as I am away again next weekend.

Thanks to all for your advice...much appreciated.

While the tyres looked OK I stopped at a garage about 1 mile from the site and checked with the pressure machine setting them to the recommended levels on the pillar (44 front and 41 rear) - I hope!!!
I drove home on them cautiously and when it is cooler will check with the gauge we have at home and re-set on the panel (out with the manual again!).

Can then monitor them over the next week as I am away again next weekend.
Did you have to put any air in any of the tyres?

My Michelin Cross Climate have been on for 19 months, so 2 winters and 1 summer that was quite warm so the temperature variation has been at least +30c and the warning light has never been on. Tyre pressures checked at least every 2 weeks and maybe a pressure change of 1 or 2 psi occasionally that was corrected and that was basically all round and due to ambient temperature changes. Calibrated once when tyres fitted.
I think your occasional top up has helped to keep the amber light at bay. I'd say you beat it to it especially if you do the top up just before those first early morning icy windscreens:thumb.

Did you have to put any air in any of the tyres?

Yes all of them. Tbh I couldn’t see the display on the machine from so far away so not sure what they were. All checked and husband has given them all a bit more air. Now will reset and monitor.