Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ammonia Smell...

tucker266

tucker266

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Left the van for a few days and came back to a strong smell of ammonia inside. I suspect it’s something to do with the ad blue but wondered if anybody had experienced anything similar.

Grateful for any help thanks very much

Anthony

Is your van on charge? It could be the battery venting off gas?

I had someting like this a while ago after my van was in for some work. It was most prominent when the windscreen demister fan was turned on. I changed the pollen filter and squirted antibacterial down the scuttle panel. I also tried air con fog bombs. Didn’t work. Eventually it just cleared itself after a couple of months.
My van is petrol, so it wasn’t AdBlue.

The most common cause of an ammonia like smell is a kaput leisure battery. Is the battery getting hot? AdBlue doesn’t smell of ammonia.

Gas given off by a charging battery is Hydrogen, once smelt never forgotten.

I've been in a few big battery rooms in telephone exchanges and remember it from then. By big batteries I mean those with individual cells that are much bigger than a double kitchen cupboard unit!

The most common cause of an ammonia like smell is a kaput leisure battery. Is the battery getting hot? AdBlue doesn’t smell of ammonia.

Thanks everybody. This seems the most plausible cause- battery/van is about 4 years old and not really heavily used. Could it be done already? I’ll send it in for a service this week...

Blimey don’t go near a VW dealer fro that...they’ll charge you over £400 + labour for a rebadged battery when you can buy the identical one for £160. If it’s hot and not holding charge then change it.

Back