Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

And the purpose of a Cali bike rack is...?

Tbh, and this will be met with alot of anger, but i really dont like the look of a bike rack on a cali, it makes a lovely looking cali all commericial and industrial like! We were behind one yesterday with a bike rack and my wife said "oh dear, what is that ugle looking thing!" Of course it does a great job of holding bikes, but shame there isnt better looking options or do what @Amarillo has done, put it in the back! I know you can take them off, but then comes the problem off storing it.
I like the look of the bike rack when not in use it makes it look like a holiday vehicle to me, which in our case is what it is.
Mpg is crap anyway so a bit less makes no difference to me.
In the year we've had it the bikes have only been on there twice, and the second time we never used them anyway!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quasi is better than Kylie by virtue of the fact you can move the 4 x rails as well as the wheel brackets which makes lining multiple bikes up easier.

Rack -
Good if space is needed inside / you want somewhere dry after a ride
Good if your bike is filthy and there’s no jet wash / mobi.
Good if you can’t be bothered to rearrange the inside...

Kids bikes like Islas just got thrown in the boot.

If I didn’t have the Quasi thrown in to the deal though I’d still be using my old Atera Strada.

29987185-E09B-419A-8C61-81C5695D28CC.jpeg

I can play this game!
Made a frame for my old T4 using old roof bars and cheap Halford’s roof mount carriers. A last minute invite to a Bank Holiday bike ride saw it dragged out the garage and placed in the Cali. Two adult bikes, small kids one and a trailer fitted easily. Bench seat pushed forward means limited leg room but not an issue with small children, removing front wheels would gain more space and allow a third full size bike in.

My Cali has a rear spoiler fitted so can’t fit a bike rack, would need to be either roof bars or tow bar mounted. And it hasn’t got a tow bar yet.

a272593db7aa59c16fe51d9562f63049.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Idiot. What do you think it's For?

Probably. I was just thinking how quickly children grow up. It doesn’t seem two minutes since our boys were on little Cnoc bikes.

Keep the bikes in as good a condition as possible, all our old Isla bikes have sold for more than we paid for them.
That’s why he keeps them inside rather than on a bike rack!

H
Holidaying in France (and pretty much every other weekend throughout the year), the bike rack is absolutely essential for us.

Mpg wasn’t great carrying all that gear though!

0898defb1c9fc69a078b51659a0529f3.jpg
Hi, I see you have a cover on the bikes... Does it not act as a parachute? Which brand is it? I've been looking for a cover but so far haven't found one suitable that wouldn't get caught in the airflow...
Cheers!

Our rack serves 4 purposes:
1) For drying towels on
2) To add weight to the tailgate - so that my wife can close it without doing a Tarzan impression by swinging from it
3) To clearly identify the van as a camper, not a plumber
4) If we decide to take them with us, we might even use it as a bike rack one day!
So you have a light wife? That's nice.......

H

Hi, I see you have a cover on the bikes... Does it not act as a parachute? Which brand is it? I've been looking for a cover but so far haven't found one suitable that wouldn't get caught in the airflow...
Cheers!

Sorry, late reply, didn’t see your question! Yes, it does act as a parachute. But when the van is parked unattended for a while with a selection of expensive bikes on the rack, best to keep prying eyes away. I take the co we off when driving.

That is a pain actually because I would like to have a couple we to stop rain spray and salt getting on the bikes in the colder months but it doesn’t seem possible.

Any ideas anyone??

Think I may have answered my own question... use the tow ball mounted carrier! Because it’s lower down it shouldn’t act as a parachute with the cover on because it behind the van rather than sticking over the top.

That is a pain actually because I would like to have a couple we to stop rain spray and salt getting on the bikes in the colder months but it doesn’t seem possible.

Any ideas anyone??

A covered trailer

Bikes in the boot are quicker to unload than bikes on the rack, it also gives better fuel consumption. However, I do wish I'd put the bikes on the rack - my lovely new plywood multiflex extension, which will also serve as a kitchen worktop, has bicycle tyre marks on it!
Do you have apicture of your extension and how it attaches please. Thanks