Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Android Auto - Hello Google

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Good afternoon,

I have an issue with Android Auto which maybe somebody else came across and found the answer.

I use VW App Connect and Android Auto. I connected my Samsung S7 with a USB cable mostly for navigation (I am not so happy with playing music, but that is different).

In the past I was able to use voice commands to search for my navigation.

For example: "Hey Google", "Shortest route to Maynooth, Kildare".

It took a moment and on Android Auto on the radio display in the car the route came up and off I went.

If I do this now, there is a message coming up saying something like "please touch the confirmation button while you are driving" or something similar.

I checked everything, but can't seem to find the information button to touch.

I was wondering if somebody else came across this and can give me a hint to fix this.

Thank you.
Eberhard

I will watch this thread with interest as I have always struggled to get the same stereo in my partners Seat to even accept her android phone, it only seems to work with apple for some reason.

Good afternoon,

The installation was straight forward. I installed Android Auto on my Samsung S7. As soon as I connect it via a cable to the USB port (in the glove compartment), it is recognized and I have the option between Android Auto and Mirrorlink. I never used Mirrorlink.

I believe the connection cable is important. I use a few which didn't work, but it always worked with the original cable. So, I was lucky to get a short (0.5m) cable that worked.

MattBW, have you tried it with the original smartphone cable?

Regards,
Eberhard

Ive tried several cables and even bought new data cables but nothing works. Hope you find a solution to your issue.

Sounds like the Google Assistant.

Does she say "Sure, but when it is safe, exit the app and touch Notifications then you can let the Google App access some things on your device"?

By default, the app permissions will be denied. You need to go in to the settings of Android Auto and give it permissions to control your phone's features.

There are a few videos on youtube that show this for the Galaxy S7. Good luck!

PS. It's really good when you've got it set up. I'd definitely persist with it. :thumb

Good morning.

When we bought the van the "Composition Media" radio system was installed. A few month later I bought the "App-Connect" option.

After that if I was connecting my Samsung S7 via the USB cable (glove compartment) it worked all the time from the very beginning.

Also from the beginning the voice commands worked. "Hey Google" what time is it?, What is the weather forecast? What time is it in Washington? Best way to ...?

Everything continued to work, except the voice commands. Which is not the end of the world, but for navigation it is simply quicker to say "Hey Google, show me the route to Dublin, Nassau Street". It would work if I entered the information on the screen keyboard, but as I said with voice command is simpler and quicker. Also while driving if I change my mind, or if something is coming up I can easily change the destination on the navigation screen just with voice.

When I say "Hey Google" a voice says "When it's safe you'll fist need to tap the notification. Then you can use the Google Assistant while driving". This came up while driving or parking.

I checked permissions from Android Auto on the Samsung but could not find anything obviously wrong. I installed a recommended app and to my shame I can't remember the name of it. I double checked permissions on several apps and changed a few - and suddenly it worked again.

The good thing is that the Android Auto Voice Command is working (for the moment) but I don't know what I have changed to get it working. :( .

Serves me right, doing something like this on a car park in between appointments and not focusing on what I am doing.

Regards,
Eberhard

Sounds like the Google Assistant.

Does she say "Sure, but when it is safe, exit the app and touch Notifications then you can let the Google App access some things on your device"?

By default, the app permissions will be denied. You need to go in to the settings of Android Auto and give it permissions to control your phone's features.

There are a few videos on youtube that show this for the Galaxy S7. Good luck!

I agree that sounds more like a permissions thing, a one-time authorisation to grant access.

Can you get someone else to drive whilst you play with the settings?

Good afternoon,

There is no need to drive to get the error message. I did my tests on the car park just with the ingnition on.

Regards,
Eberhard

Back