Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another bike rack question - 4 bikes

pematthe-1967

pematthe-1967

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have only carried 3 bikes so not ever given this a thought until now. I need to carry 4.

The VW bike rack has 4 bike slots but only 3 restraining bars. What holds the 4th bike secure? Is it just strapped to number 3 bike?

I believe there is an additional attachy bit that does as you say. Check the Thule Wanderway pages.

Yep, you attach the fourth bike to the third bike.

Looks like this. But it should have come with the bike rack (at least it did with mine).

Putting 4 bikes on it will be quite a puzzle though. Maximum I tried was 3 (adult road bikes) and it involved turning the handlebars 90 degrees of at least one of the bikes.

Looks like this. But it should have come with the bike rack (at least it did with mine).

Putting 4 bikes on it will be quite a puzzle though. Maximum I tried was 3 (adult road bikes) and it involved turning the handlebars 90 degrees of at least one of the bikes.
I don’t have one of those. I checked out the Thule website. They seem to do something similar

To be honest i don't want to put 4 adult bikes on the back, but we have a guest coming with us.

I did see on the autobahn recently a Cali carrying 5 bikes. 3 on the bike rack and 2 smaller bikes on a tow mounted carrier. The van was sagging at the back.

Need one of these..

I also have a 3 bike towbar rack, and no problems with the handle bars for 3 adult bikes.
foto (100).JPG
They are just switched one to the right, one to the left, one to the right. The first one positioned to the left, the second to the right and the third to the left of the bike rack.
So on the tailgate rack, you just position the 4th one positioned to the left, completely on the right of the rail.
There are 4 butterfly handle bars, and one straight.

* I meant 2 bikes with butterfly handle bars, and the third with a straight.

Thanks for all the replies.

It looks like I won't be carrying 4 bikes after all.
bike1 = 19kg
bike2 = 16kg
bike3 = 14kg
bike 4 = 14kg

total 63Kg - over the 60kg rack limit

None are eBikes, just your regular steel (and in 1 case I suspect, concrete filled!) alu mountain, trail bikes - all adult.

I could probably wing it, as it is only 3kg over, but nah. Going to take 3 and hire a 4th if it is even needed.

Back