Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another bike rack stolen....

Steviemc

Steviemc

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Last night my bike rack was 'liberated'.....T6 Beach and VW rack. No damage to the van thankfully and the clamps still under the tailgate. We live in the centre of town and the van is parked on a well lit street so it must be a fairly easy job.

If you've got a similar rack then investing in some security bolts might be a good idea. I'll be getting some for my replacement rack. Hexlox look pretty useful, anyone tried them?

Sorry to hear about this!

Mine was almost stolen when in a car park in Spain recently.

Luckily I was reverse parked against a wall so whilst they loosened both bolts they were not able to remove from the van with the space available.

Keen to know about any security methods anybody has taken. Looking into Hexlox’s now

Thanks! Read it this morning while I ate my cornflakes....wishing I'd read it last week:)

I'm sure whoever took it has merely borrowed it and will return it after the weekend......

I tried to take mine off 3 years ago as I was worried about the Spanish rules. I could not move it. Like it was welded on.
Would have been on there for about 10 years.

Last night my bike rack was 'liberated'.....T6 Beach and VW rack. No damage to the van thankfully and the clamps still under the tailgate. We live in the centre of town and the van is parked on a well lit street so it must be a fairly easy job.

If you've got a similar rack then investing in some security bolts might be a good idea. I'll be getting some for my replacement rack. Hexlox look pretty useful, anyone tried them?
Yes I’ve got Hexlox on mine. Very simple to fit and I figured worth it to deter a casual thief who has a set of allen keys. But might not prevent a more determined attack on the clamps with an angle grinder/crowbar obvs.

Could someone clarify what Hexlox are, and where available? I presume they replace the Tx bolts in the lower brackets? Similar to cycle skewer Pitlocks? Thanks.

Hexlox.com will get you to their website

The link to the thread that perfectos provided above will tell you exactly what you need.

Yes, similar to pitlock. The difference is that you use a magnetic coded insert to fill the bolt head of a hex bolt.

Also worth noting that the Hexlox magnetic inserts are much lesss effective in the OEM stainless steel bike rack bolts, so the best solution is to replace the ones you are going to lock with anodized steel equivalents. Its pretty much fit and forget, although Hexlox recommend removing and oiling once a year on bike applications.

I have Hexlox on mine, so far so good.

A couple of years ago, there was a spate where to get the bikes, they simply used an angle grinder on the rack and carried it all away in one go.

A couple of years ago, there was a spate where to get the bikes, they simply used an angle grinder on the rack and carried it all away in one go.
Similar thing happened with some towbar racks many years ago. A thief could read the key number off one of the barrels and then buy a key for £2.50 on ebay, and then just remove racks (&bikes).

Hence some manufacturers do not print the key numbers on the lock barrels / roof rack feet anymore.

You can just loop an additional chain through the rack onto the vans tow bracket or spare wheel carrier.

Back