Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack stolen from vehicle

Why dismissive? You have just said if it was you that was nicking my bike rack and you saw my rear camera you would smash the rear screen and front screen and Nick the cameras instead..Maybe I don’t think the same way as you..But I wouldn’t be even thinking about nicking anyone’s bike rack or smashing their screens..It’s absolutely appalling. Or was this just hypothetical?....
So going from nicking someones bike rack to smashing both the front and rear screens don’t you think is taking it a bit far..To start with you would have to smash through the bars of the rack to get to the rear double glazed window to then Nick the dash cam..Then smash the front screen and Nick the front dash cam..All this when the Vehicle alarm is going and headlights are flashing on and off..Don’t think so somehow...lol.
Are your accounts one and the same??

Why dismissive? You have just said if it was you that was nicking my bike rack and you saw my rear camera you would smash the rear screen and front screen and Nick the cameras instead..Maybe I don’t think the same way as you..But I wouldn’t be even thinking about nicking anyone’s bike rack or smashing their screens..It’s absolutely appalling. Or was this just hypothetical?....

This is ridiculous. You do what you want.

Mike

Some little b-stard tried to steal my bike rack unsuccessfully. I came out one morning & the rack was hanging loosely from the tailgate with the two side attachments completely loose. When I removed the rack there were two deep dinks in the bodywork showing they had tried to force the rack off after undoing the side attachments. This suggests that in some cases they cannot get the rack off with the tailgate closed. I got a quote of £600 to repair the two dinks so left them there for now. I now keep rack in garden shed unless using.

I hate to say it but the footage is unlikely to be of much use as property crime is about as low as it gets on the priority list .

These things go in cycles (pun intended). Take extra care if you can for a while and if not required I’d remove it until the craze passes. I would worry more about damage to the tailgate with fancy bolts but each to their own.

Mike

Mike
I agree with your above statement. CCTV footage is all but useless in theft situations. These guys aren’t stupid. I mean, they’ve figured out how to remove the rack without opening the tailgate.
That’s quite an achievement.

Talking of cycles.
Just waiting to hear the first report of missing solar panels from roofs. No doubt an easy swipe...:mad:

Mike
I agree with your above statement. CCTV footage is all but useless in theft situations. These guys aren’t stupid. I mean, they’ve figured out how to remove the rack without opening the tailgate.
That’s quite an achievement.

Talking of cycles.
Just waiting to hear the first report of missing solar panels from roofs. No doubt an easy swipe...:mad:
Then wind out awnings!

Then wind out awnings!

Hi there, we have a T6 beach and have just had our bike rack stolen(parked right outside our house). It is the genuine £550 VW tailgate type one for 4 bikes. The 2 metal clips that wrap around each side of the boot were still in place and the boot was shut so we cant understand how they managed to steal it. I guess they had the hex key to undo the bolts but i though the idea was that you couldnt remove the rack unless you open the boot and slide it away from the clips???
I am also now wondering what the cheapest option is for replacement bearing in mind it could get stolen again(?) and we will probably sell the van next spring. If anyone has any ideas/thoughts on this i would be very grateful.
I have swapped the original VW bolts for snake eye security bolts and resin filled the holes. If they need removing layer the resin can be drilled out (which requires boot open) to allow unlocking, but casual thief will be deterred. If they are willing to angle grind off the fixings however what can you do...?!

What are the size bolts to replace the current ones on the bottom of the rack fitting to the tailgate? Looking at some fancy security replacements...

Also interested as to sizes please if anyone knows. I have the new Thule Wanderway but presume the same bolts.

Sorry to hear this, it always seems to happen when money is tight, crime goes up! I would be really interestedto know how thy did it but I guess it's something we don't want to post up online!

Has anyone had any experience with trackers? I'm looking at slipping a 'tile tracker' (google them) into the frame of my bike rack. £30, 3yr battery life, works via bluetooth and uses a community of users mobile phones to locate missing tiles.

This is ridiculous. You do what you want.

Mike
Makes one wonder...Do they stop at smashing your front and rear screens or if confronted do they then become violent towards you...There are thieves and there are thieves that’s something you will never stop..Deterrents are not what They used to be, when I lived in Australia I carried a 30/30 But now this is frowned upon..

I followed this post with interest & pondered anti tamper bolts.
I was then pointed at these....

It's a magnetic hexagon blanking plate that sits within the void where the Allen key would go.
Looks like a great alternative which I shall investigate further.

(One YT view claims they can be removed with ease, but it may not have been installed on a fully steel bolt.)

Anyone seen/used these themselves?

I followed this post with interest & pondered anti tamper bolts.
I was then pointed at these....

It's a magnetic hexagon blanking plate that sits within the void where the Allen key would go.
Looks like a great alternative which I shall investigate further.

(One YT view claims they can be removed with ease, but it may not have been installed on a fully steel bolt.)

Anyone seen/used these themselves?
Not sure how magnetic plate would work with stainless steel... depends on the type of bolt whether it will attach...

Not sure how magnetic plate would work with stainless steel... depends on the type of bolt whether it will attach...
Seems they sell replacement bolts or a small magnetic plate which is glued in.
Suspect I’ll test my bolts and if not magnetic will order some up.
Allen keys currently locked away, so will check later.

Did anyone identify the exact size of the existing bolts on the bike rack? Don’t want to get the wrong size, and the Hexlox option looks a good way to go...