Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Broken Control Knob

ZampaVan

ZampaVan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Like many others my 2014 T5 despite only having 25,000 miles has a control panel knob which won’t engage properly so I dare not risk raising the roof in case I can’t get it lowered. I’ve bought the replacement panel and knob from Campervanbits and whilst they offer a fitting service they are in Sheffield and I am in Somerset .
Whilst I could have a go after looking at the various videos I’m a bit cack handed and sure I will mess it up!
Can anyone recommend someone in Somerset or Devon who can change my knob?!
Seasons Greetings to All

It really is not that difficult to do it yourself. I did in about an hour, start to finish and taking it easy. You don’t need to take out the 2 ribbons, I didn’t and everything went smoothly.
I can imagine if you find someone to do it you are probably talking £100 for labour by someone who isn’t ripping you off. Probably double that by VW.

Buy some trim removal tools to help avoid damage. Should be easy then

Like many others my 2014 T5 despite only having 25,000 miles has a control panel knob which won’t engage properly so I dare not risk raising the roof in case I can’t get it lowered. I’ve bought the replacement panel and knob from Campervanbits and whilst they offer a fitting service they are in Sheffield and I am in Somerset .
Whilst I could have a go after looking at the various videos I’m a bit cack handed and sure I will mess it up!
Seasons Greetings to All
You could try a Repair Cafe. There are a few down your way.

Thanks all for your advice. I will check out the Repair Cafe or better still have a bit more confidence in my ability particularly if you don’t need to take the ribbons out!

Thanks all for your advice. I will check out the Repair Cafe or better still have a bit more confidence in my ability particularly if you don’t need to take the ribbons out!
I didn’t replace the facia panel as mine was in perfect condition that made it a lot easier. If you could easily get hold of the knob it would be a lot cheaper but VW only sell the facia and knob complete.

Hi Ozzy Pete, I was having exactly the same problem as you to the extent that I was scared to put the roof up when I was in fear of not being able to get it back down again. I finally plucked up the courage to replace the knob and I'm really glad that I did because I can now travel in confidence! Now I doubt that you are more cack handed than me so if I can do it so can you. There's a ton of advice out there on how to do it and what you need to have on hand before you even start. If you do some easy research this is not beyond you and you, like me, will look forward to, rather than fear, putting the roof up! Good luck! if you need any advice I'd be happy to share some of my learning!

If you are able to do this job without removing the ribbons - as others have suggested - I would look to that as a path to follow. Having done the job myself, I found that part of the process the most difficult and most likely to eventually cause grief. The connection bars are difficult to open and then the ribbons must be re-inserted without bending or damaging.

Hi @ZampaVan
Replacing the control panel knob is possible with modest DIY skills. I did mine recently without breaking anything and it all worked fine. The thread below highlights the best methods to follow and the tools you need before you start. Good luck let us know how you get on.
Seasons Greetings Kelvin

.... and while the panel is out why not expose the roof lower screw so you don't have the steep learning curve during an actual emergency - search 'Emergency Roof Lower'....(and check you have the tie down straps too...;-)

If you are able to do this job without removing the ribbons - as others have suggested - I would look to that as a path to follow. Having done the job myself, I found that part of the process the most difficult and most likely to eventually cause grief. The connection bars are difficult to open and then the ribbons must be re-inserted without bending or damaging.
That was the bit that worried me in advance but in reality I found that it wasn't necessary to remove the ribbons. The bit that cost me the most grief was putting the wee screws back in to fix the control panel. They were very tight and my Torx screwdriver rounded them off. That took a bit of time to sort using long nosed pliers!

Seasons Greetings to All
Believe me , You cannot possibly be as hopeless at DIY as me. I fixed my knob ( ooh er) last year following the tutorials / vids / posts on this forum. Took 40 mins start to finish and I wasn’t rushing. Didn’t take the ribbons off , hardest part was getting the panel out ( use a credit card/ loyalty card at the top of the panel to push the clips ). Agree with others , use a proper trim kit and find the roof drop down screw while you have everything out. Ps watch the order for re connecting the panel wires so everything works properly again.

.... and while the panel is out why not expose the roof lower screw so you don't have the steep learning curve during an actual emergency - search 'Emergency Roof Lower'....(and check you have the tie down straps too...;-)
I took that same opportunity for the same reason - I didn't want the additional aggro at a point where I couldn't move due to the roof not lowering.

Back