Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Fridge Bracket Fix

NRDSRFR

NRDSRFR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi,
Week 3 with my “new” Cali, new to me at least and I got to work resolving the seemingly common fridge bracket issue. Here is another take...

I ordered a new gas strut from SGS (from a tip in here) to replace a bent one after it came off the bracket and the lid slammed on it. I didn’t want to pay nearly £20 for new brackets separately, because all I needed was the little clip to hold the strut on... more on that in a bit

I wanted to reinforce the lid, as the bracket had damaged the plastic. Before experimenting with super glue and baking soda, I thought I’d attempt something a bit less exotic. After rummaging through my garage I found some metal brackets with holes spaced at a promising distance. ( I have more and can post to anyone who wants one )
9f851c9f37c08e391aa4d99766b05279.jpg

However, it required a bit of hammering in a vice to allow enough room to clear the bottom of the lid. I will hold off adding a screw on the bottom of the lid, as for now having extra support there seems to make it solid enough without having to add one and the default screw locations seemed to have metal female bits in the lid to hold them better.

28834c98f62318a280b71c4db2a12a2d.jpg

With that done, I wanted to ensure the new strut stayed on, so my solution was to simply thread the original bracket pin with a die. It had a number 3 on it, I just used the biggest one that seemed to “bite” to ensure I didn’t thread it too small.

0bef1a7235b2f55612f40e825d716870.jpg

76646af74411fe00bd165a40affc6aeb.jpg

BTW I also made sure to stuff the crevice behind the fridge to ensure I didn’t lose any screws (with a magnet for good measure). That tip was from another thread.

c520d4ed27fb9954e833b402ed78f462.jpg

Here is the result. The SGS strut is quite a bit fatter than the OEM part. Be warned as it rubs against my rigged lid bracket and a bit against the side of the fridge which might stress the fridge bracket, but for now it’s better than before!

7d85b8f6527edcd31163761a6be86f5b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can the MY18 hinges be retro fitted to the older fridge lid? no need for a gas strut at all then

the lid at the back is totally different we looked into this at slimbridge not 100% sure it couldnt be done someone may prove me wrong but it would require 3 new worktops numerous hinges and a big wallet