Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge turning itself off

DavidH

DavidH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
My fridge seems to not be working properly - it did work for a day or so then the yellow light on the control panel turns off when driving....I have tried turning up the setting on the fridge so it is colder and same things happens almost immediately.....I have run diagnostics and no fault showing

I took it into Liverpool - they said they could not detect a fault and suggested that the light might go out on the control panel when it reached the preset temperature which doesn't make sense as it does the same the when I set the fidget to colder and when the light goes out the fridge is saying it is turned off (which makes sense) so will not maintain the temperature - all is we'll with the leisure battery etc - VW Liverpool have now agreed to replace the fridge

I just wondered if anyone else had the same issue?

I have looked through various fridge threads and can't find anything although I seem to remember others having a similar issue

thanks you for help

I had a similar issue then fridge went haywire and over cooled despite saying it was off. Fridge was replaced under warranty.

suggested that the light might go out on the control panel when it reached the preset temperature which doesn't make sense
My fridge light stays on until i turn it off so they've got that bit wrong.

My fridge light stays on until i turn it off so they've got that bit wrong.
Yes it doesn't make sense that the light turns off otherwise you might leave it on accidentally and the light would be going on and off all the time when it reached the target temperature and then cooled again - and when the light goes off it is saying the fridge is off on the control panel

Yes it doesn't make sense that the light turns off otherwise you might leave it on accidentally and the light would be going on and off all the time when it reached the target temperature and then cooled again - and when the light goes off it is saying the fridge is off on the control panel
Exactly, ask the geezer how he knows that his fridge light at home
goes off when the door is shut, that might puzzle him. :thumb

My fridge seems to not be working properly - it did work for a day or so then the yellow light on the control panel turns off when driving....I have tried turning up the setting on the fridge so it is colder and same things happens almost immediately.....I have run diagnostics and no fault showing

I took it into Liverpool - they said they could not detect a fault and suggested that the light might go out on the control panel when it reached the preset temperature which doesn't make sense as it does the same the when I set the fidget to colder and when the light goes out the fridge is saying it is turned off (which makes sense) so will not maintain the temperature - all is we'll with the leisure battery etc - VW Liverpool have now agreed to replace the fridge

I have looked through various fridge threads and can't find anything although I seem to remember others having a similar issue

thanks you for help
You might want to look at this thread. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/fridge-permanently-switched-on.31205/post-361872 , you are not alone.

thanks you for help
Because of the Dealerships stupid comments have you checked the Control Panel for any Diagnostic Codes, because they may not have done that and just relied on plugging the OBD connector into their Diagnostic computer.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater
5 = 5 = Fresh water
6 = 6 = Outside temperature
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof
1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof
1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"
1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"
2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off
2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off
2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30
3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox
3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox
3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"
3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"
3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"
4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure
5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor
5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure
6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature
6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

Had a similar issue, i.e only turned off when driving . The fridge connector was hung over the expansion tee. I unhooked this and its been fine since.

Because of the Dealerships stupid comments have you checked the Control Panel for any Diagnostic Codes, because they may not have done that and just relied on plugging the OBD connector into their Diagnostic computer.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.
Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
5 = 5 = Fresh water
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"
6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature
Thats very informative, maybe you should post a new thread titled control
panel codes or something so that its easily found on the search ( or HC )
function.

Had a similar issue, i.e only turned off when driving . The fridge connector was hung over the expansion tee. I unhooked this and its been fine since.
thanks how can i check that ?

Access as follows:

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof
2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating
3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler
5 = 5 = Fresh water
7 = 7 = Battery
Error Code Defect Fault
1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

thanks yes i did this - no faults showing - and its is helpful having all those fault codes thanks

thanks how can i check that ?

Remove the little access hatch. The connector should be right in front of you. Mine was on the expansion pipework tee on the fridge condense. I actually didn't want to touch it so pulled it away using the wire. Fixed my issue of constantly turning off whilst driving (which I had for about a year) but worked fine on hookup.

this is what i can see not really sure what i am looking for - might just have to get the dealer to check it out?

Unfortunately, you don't have the same problem that I had.

The connector which you can see on the left of the photo was resting / sitting on the crimped horizontal copper tee pipework that you can see on the right. Cable was routing under the tee.

oh well - new fridge for me - thanks very much for your help though

The fridge in my MY23 Coast randomly turned itself off during my recent trip. First time it happened was when I was using EHU for the first time. Leisure batteries were never below 60% charge and fridge setting was 2. Happened again a week later but was not on EHU. I thought initially it was some sort of protective timeout but having read several threads here and on Caliboard it does not seem normal.