Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another Roof Problem

S

susan

VIP Member
Took cali into dealer today as roof fabric coming away from the roof on the reinforced batten on the passenger side, next to the ventilation mesh. Can see daylight at the top. The dealer has taken photographs to send to Volkswagen. He is unsure if the fabric is glued or sewn to the roof.
Has anyone else had this problem.

Thanks Sue

Yes.
The rubber at the passenger side comes away from time to time on mine.
There is too much tension to push it back in when the roof is fully raised.
With it only raised about 18" I can work it back into place in a few minutes with quite a bit of effort. There's a knack.
It stays in place for about a half dozen raising and lowerings then I need to work it back in again.
It's a nuisance but has not got any worse over the couple of years it's been happening.

I don't think it's fixed in with glue (but not sure).
There seems to be a lip inside that the rubber springs over when working it back in place (I think).

In the couple of times I've been at the dealers and tried to demonstrate the fault, I've not managed - so I've sort of given up.

I normally see it beginning to come out long before daylight can be seen through the gap that develops.

The roof fabric was replaced in year 2 the Cali's records show and I bought it about 3 months before the 3 yr warranty ran out.

Thanks for that Barry. On mine it looks like the fabric has come away from the rubber edging - and of course the warranty expired at the end of March.

susan said:
Thanks for that Barry. On mine it looks like the fabric has come away from the rubber edging - and of course the warranty expired at the end of March.

Oh dear that loos like a bigger problem.
Keep us posted. B