Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Another tyre tread...

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Yet another t(h)read on tyres.
I need to get a replacement tyre for my MY17 Ocean, which has the standard 215/60R17 tyres. I know what those numbers mean (I think). I'm confused about load and speed rating - when I search online, these two seem to be mixed together. My understanding is that the Cali needs a tyre with a load rating of 109 or 107 (not 108?). Is higher better? I've been told T is the speed rating. Is a "higher" letter better? I am also told that the Ocean needs commercial tyres (understandably). How do I know that the tyre is "commercial" when I search online; for example is that the same as a tyre for an SUV?
I've tried googling the answers to these, but I just can't get my head around it...

Yet another t(h)read on tyres.
I need to get a replacement tyre for my MY17 Ocean, which has the standard 215/60R17 tyres. I know what those numbers mean (I think). I'm confused about load and speed rating - when I search online, these two seem to be mixed together. My understanding is that the Cali needs a tyre with a load rating of 109 or 107 (not 108?). Is higher better? I've been told T is the speed rating. Is a "higher" letter better? I am also told that the Ocean needs commercial tyres (understandably). How do I know that the tyre is "commercial" when I search online; for example is that the same as a tyre for an SUV?
I've tried googling the answers to these, but I just can't get my head around it...
Minimum load rating is 103 and minimum speed rating is H.

If you are just replacing 1 tyre then you should get the exact same tyre as a replacement. If you are replacing both tyres on the same axle then you can go for a different make/tread pattern as long as the size is correct and the minimum Load and Speed Rating.
You shouldn’t mix different makes/tread patterns or speed and load ratings on the same axle, unless it is the spare and you use it as a “ get you home “ replacement.

Minimum load rating is 103 and minimum speed rating is H.

If you are just replacing 1 tyre then you should get the exact same tyre as a replacement. If you are replacing both tyres on the same axle then you can go for a different make/tread pattern as long as the size is correct and the minimum Load and Speed Rating.
You shouldn’t mix different makes/tread patterns or speed and load ratings on the same axle, unless it is the spare and you use it as a “ get you home “ replacement.
My California was factory fitted with 215/65 R16 C 102/100 H.
So minimum weight is 100 (800 kg).
800 x 4 = 3200 kg. The maxiumum weight of the California is 3000 kg. So 100 is good, everything else (higher) is also allowed.
H = 210 km/h, Mine does 177 km/h (on paper, not tested, and not planning to)
I could be ok with S = 180 km/h, but the least they sell in normal tyres is T = 190 km/h.

This is for my 140 hp T5.1.
Always check your own data for the least of tyres you might install.

standard 215/60R17 tyres.
Ours came with above size and I think they were 109 load rating but when I changed them I replaced them for 235/55/17which we had on our T5 and prefered 235 tend to be load rated at 103 and our standard on some Cali's

Ours came with above size and I think they were 109 load rating but when I changed them I replaced them for 235/55/17which we had on our T5 and prefered 235 tend to be load rated at 103 and our standard on some Cali's

I wanted to stick with the 60 profile, as I thought the 55s might give a harder ride (van has the VW 30mm lower springs, so is a bit crashy on uneven roads)

The two load figures are only on Commercial tyres. They relate to single wheel and twin wheel axles (twin being what you see on 3500tonnes and above tippers etc.
The larger figure is when single wheels are fitted, as on Cali's, the lower is only for the twin wheel fitment. For Cali's forget the lower figure.

101 is the lowest load rating for Cali's but 103 is the the Factory spec load rating. You can go higher as you know from your current fitment.

The load rating for the tyres isn't as simple as the 3.2tnnes divided by 4, the front & rear axles usually have different maximum loads & the maximum load for the two axles added together is usually more than the maximum for the vehicle.

A current ocean has max weight of 3080kg with axle weights of 1620kg front & 1575kg rear. So the load rating of the front tyres needs to be in excess of 810kg
a rating of 101 is 825 kg so should be fine. each increase/ decrease in number in the rating makes 25kg difference. so 100 = 800kg which is just about ok on the rear but not the front.

wanted to stick with the 60 profile, as I thought the 55s might give a harder ride (van has the VW 30mm lower springs, so is a bit crashy on uneven roads)
I want down this train of thought til @larrylamb pointed out to me that 55 aspect ratio of 235 width gives the same height (more or less) as 60 aspect ratio of 215. Otherwise the two tyre sizes wouldn't be interchangeable.

The 235s run at lower pressures that the 215s so you may actually get a softer ride.

Fuel consumption is probably slightly higher with 235 (otherwise why would all the eco challenge vehicles use bike size tyres?).

I wanted to stick with the 60 profile, as I thought the 55s might give a harder ride (van has the VW 30mm lower springs, so is a bit crashy on uneven roads)

I think you are misunderstanding what the 60 and 55 relate to. They are % of the tread width.
215 tyre . 60% of the tread width gives a sidewall height of 129 mm.

235 tyre. 55% of the tread width gives a sidewall height of 129.25 mm.

So, in fact the 235 tyres have a slightly higher sidewall and in fact run at a slightly lower pressure so will give a slightly less harsh ride. The exact opposite of what you believe.

I think you are misunderstanding what the 60 and 55 relate to. They are % of the tread width.
215 tyre . 60% of the tread width gives a sidewall height of 129 mm.

235 tyre. 55% of the tread width gives a sidewall height of 129.25 mm.

So, in fact the 235 tyres have a slightly higher sidewall and in fact run at a slightly lower pressure so will give a slightly less harsh ride. The exact opposite of what you believe.

Turns out I didn’t understand any of the numbers, then!

Thank you everyone for your comments. I think I have a grasp of what I need now.

I want down this train of thought til @larrylamb pointed out to me that 55 aspect ratio of 235 width gives the same height (more or less) as 60 aspect ratio of 215. Otherwise the two tyre sizes wouldn't be interchangeable.

The 235s run at lower pressures that the 215s so you may actually get a softer ride.

Fuel consumption is probably slightly higher with 235 (otherwise why would all the eco challenge vehicles use bike size tyres?).
In theory as you say the wider the tyre the higher the drag giving higher fuel consumption in return.

In theory only, as all tyres now have an EU sticker when new that gives the the fuel efficiency rating in an scale with A being the most efficient. All down to tyre construction, rubber compound and tread design.

A quick tyre search came up with the best in 215/60/17 rating as B. 235/55 as A which sort of kills the arguement about width.
Easy way to compare is to ride a road/race bike then a mountain or fat bike on the road.

Last edited:
My California was factory fitted with 215/65 R16 C 102/100 H.
So minimum weight is 100 (800 kg).
800 x 4 = 3200 kg. The maxiumum weight of the California is 3000 kg. So 100 is good, everything else (higher) is also allowed.
H = 210 km/h, Mine does 177 km/h (on paper, not tested, and not planning to)
I could be ok with S = 180 km/h, but the least they sell in normal tyres is T = 190 km/h.

This is for my 140 hp T5.1.
Always check your own data for the least of tyres you might install.
Load for your application is 102. The lower 100 is for twin wheel fitment, ie 4 wheels on one axle.

In theory as you say the wider the tyre the higher the drag giving higher fuel consumption in return.

In theory only, as all tyres now have an EU sticker when new that gives the the fuel efficiency rating in an scale with A being the most efficient. All down to tyre construction, rubber compound and tread design.

A quick tyre search came up with the best in 215/60/17 rating as B. 235/55 as A which sort of kills the arguement about width.
Easy way to compare is to ride a road/race bike then a mountain or fat bike on the road.
You can't compare 215 with 235 in absolute numbers.
For 235 this tyre can have A, another can have G, but A for 235 doesn't equal B for 215.
It just means that this 235 tyre is the most economic in it's class.