Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What's the tyre life on a California

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Well I've got major outer edge wear on my two front tyres at 14k miles.

Two new ones and tracking being done on Wednesday - £420 - ouch!

P1020370.jpg

Attachments

Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
KernowLad said:

P1020370.jpg
Thats expensive, what tyres?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Andy said:
KernowLad said:

P1020370.jpg
Thats expensive, what tyres?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2
The same Dunlops plus tracking.

Attachments

kevinstewart500

kevinstewart500

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I have just replaced my first set of front tyres at 23500 miles. Rear tyres still in good shape!

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Wow that's amazing what make we're they :?:

bernie

bernie

I've used 17 inch Continental Vanco Contacts since new. Not cheap to buy but last a long time. About £180 per tyre inc fitting. You get what you pay for, I think. Sports tyres and winter tyres wear more quickly and use more fuel, I think.

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have also got the Continental Vanco Contacts on the front of mine and after around 7000 miles they are still like new.

C

crossa

VIP Member
Yesterday my Cali had its first service at 11500 miles. The service readout on both front tyres was 7mm tread and 8mm tread on the rears. They are the factory supplied Bridgestone Duravis 215/65R16 tyres.
Today I had them replaced with a set of all-season tyres.
I intend selling the Brigestones. Any help in giving me a valuation on the set of four would be appreciated.
Pete.

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
New front boots fitted. Tracking was well put so had all wheels laser aligned. I suspect it was out from the factory.

£420 all in; ouch.

M

mountainman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have had my Cali Berghaus new since Feb 2012. It was supplied with Contisport Contact 3 255/45/R18s. I swapped the tyres front to back at ca 8,000miles and now have a set of evenly worn tyres at 15,000 miles with maybe 1000 miles left or so. I am ca. 0.5-1.0mm off the wear bars. Given what I have read thus far, that seems quite good?

Californiaman

Californiaman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
180 DSG just had the fronts done at 18k with a little tiny, weeny bit left.

M

mountainman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
That seems pretty good. I don't expect that much out of mine, but close. Do you know what tyres they were?

Californiaman

Californiaman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
They were Dunlop Sport 01. Replaced with Hancook.

M

mountainman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Re: What's the tyre life on a California?

Hi folks,

Back to this subject again! People seem to have got good mileage out of Continental Vanco Contacts but I cant find any of those that'll fit on to 18" wheels.

My Contisport Contact 255/45/R18 103Ys have done 15,500 miles and now need replacing. Any recommendations on what I might get more mileage from?

:help

Custardtart

Custardtart

I've no experience but after researching a bit I've gone for Hankooks.

flyingQ

flyingQ

VIP Member
Our Michelin Agillis 51 did 28,000 miles on the Pan-Am route including much wheel spinning (ASR off for best results) over loose rocks and gravel, to say nothing of running at 25PSI over several hundred miles - they still have 3.5/4mm left!

C

caligraphy

I don't go in for the big brands much as mostly it's just paying for a name. I put some Hifly Super 2000s on the front and they are at least as good as the original tyres for a fraction of the price. They're Chinese and not well known so they're much cheaper. Chinese roads are a lot harder on vans than in Europe so I expect they're up to the job.

Grip-wise they're great and give a very nice ride. Halfords recommended them to me but they can also be found online for not much more than £50 each (before fitting).

Earlier posts amused me by talking about driving a California slowly to protect the environment. At non-motorway speeds with a very heavy vehicle it's braking and the subsequent acceleration which uses the most fuel. Slow drivers can use a lot more than faster drivers if the former are continually braking or driving in a low gear. The minimum speed needed to maintain the highest gear (safely) should be the target. Longer engine life too.

If Cali owners cared that much for the environment they'd ditch their heavy vehicle, take to a tent and travel on their bikes. Let's not kid ourselves we're greening the planet by driving a Cali.

M

mountainman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Many thanks. Its the 255/45/R18s a tyre/wheel size that came with the Berghaus variant which seems to limit tyre choice. Can't actually find a Hifly to fit. There seems to be quite a bit less choice with the 255s.

One might think that with all that tyre width, you'd get better wear. Not so, it would seem.

Perhaps I'm just not sufficiently cognisant of the van's weight and driving it too much like a car. Having said that, for pure economy I try to back off a bit and have got 40mpg if I really try. However, my average is 32mpg. Even so, I don't think I'm hammering it!

S

Sandpit

Bought my 2012 Cali 180SE manual about a year ago with 12,000 on the clock fronts had been put to back. Now with 26,500 on the clock after a well loaded euro trip they need changing 17inch thunder alloys shod with Dunlop sport 01 235x55x17 any one recommending anything else ride can be sharp on poor condition uk roads.

M

McMeefia

VIP Member
I was advised not to go up to 18 inch rims by the tyre fitter as the van will chew through them in no time. The compound is not as tough as on the commercial tyres.
He was right!
For comparison, the van came with duravis tyres on 16 inch rims and did 18,000 before the fronts needed replacement.
I have got about 13,000 miles out of current tyres which is not bad given that there has been a lot of town driving and maneuvering to get on the drive at home.
(About 3mm at the shoulders and close to the wear bar in the middle so I need to take it easy with free air.)
They are Goodyear Eagle F1 A2 255/45/18.
A bit cheaper than the continentals and they do as well in the reviews.
I wish I had switched them round as the rears hardly look worn at all.

Our Partners