Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any Kiwi GC owners with Towbars fitted - advice requested

R

red89mx

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi team - Have a new to me 2021 CG 680 and looking to fit towbar/

Use primarily for 2 x e-bikes as these exceed the door racks (and would be a pain to lift that high) ....but I could tow the occasional trailer or light boat.

To store my GC I need to backup a rear neighbours moderately steep drive and then "cut over" to a pad on my property. Transitioning from road to driveway leaves little clearance on rear bumper (yet to measure) and i suspect whichever type of removable hitch towbar I fit is goinr to touch down. I am likely to have my better half strategically place a sacraficial board down to avoid garking the neighbours drive.

My question for any Kiwi CG owners with a VW factory supplied tow bar (made by best bars) is how far below the rear bumber does if hang. Does any of it go through the bumber to keep it higher?

I have option of a custom build bar or factory bar.....the factory bar likely to be cheaper....but I may be able to have a custome bar preserve more height.

A photo of bar would be appreciated, at point it comes past bumper.

Use primarily for 2 x e-bikes as these exceed the door racks (and would be a pain to lift that high) ....but I could tow the occasional trailer or light boat.

To store my GC I need to backup a rear neighbours moderately steep drive and then "cut over" to a pad on my property. Transitioning from road to driveway leaves little clearance on rear bumper (yet to measure) and i suspect whichever type of removable hitch towbar I fit is goinr to touch down. I am likely to have my better half strategically place a sacraficial board down to avoid garking the neighbours drive.

My question for any Kiwi CG owners with a VW factory supplied tow bar (made by best bars) is how far below the rear bumber does if hang. Does any of it go through the bumber to keep it higher?

I have option of a custom build bar or factory bar.....the factory bar likely to be cheaper....but I may be able to have a custome bar preserve more height.

20240904_114535.jpg

20240904_114517.jpg

Cant help with photos, but certainly from my experience with towbar bike racks previously is regards to the steep drive. The van wont gain any height/angle until the rear wheels hit the incline - so depending on how far out the rack sits, whether it makes contact with the driveway or not also depends on the length of the bike rack from ball to end.

Have you considered a door mounted one? Or are your ebikes too heavy?

Thx both ....the NZ dealer VW tow bars are a little different from these Euro models. 2 x E-bikes plus rack weight is over 36kg total door rack limit.....probably approaching 60 kg (can reduce 8kg by removing batteries).

I will never be backing up with the bike rack on, also I will be taking the removable hitch out. The angle from road to drive is 25 degrees or so and the rear bumper is only a 20mm (need to accurately confirm) or so off drive when backing up....so any overhang under bumper will need to be managed......just wanting to minimise it.

Looking for a grand California in NZ with a dealer fitted towbar for information.. These are distributed by EMD and made by bestbars Auckland.

Thx both ....the NZ dealer VW tow bars are a little different from these Euro models. 2 x E-bikes plus rack weight is over 36kg total door rack limit.....probably approaching 60 kg (can reduce 8kg by removing batteries).

I will never be backing up with the bike rack on, also I will be taking the removable hitch out. The angle from road to drive is 25 degrees or so and the rear bumper is only a 20mm (need to accurately confirm) or so off drive when backing up....so any overhang under bumper will need to be managed......just wanting to minimise it.

Looking for a grand California in NZ with a dealer fitted towbar for information.. These are distributed by EMD and made by bestbars Auckland.
Maybe join VW California NZ Facebook group and ask there?

Cool - I did not know there was a NZ Cali FB group. Too many groups. Will do.

Back