Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Detachable tow bar on new California

J

Jonlethbridge

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello, I just bought new Cali that came with towbar preparation as well as detachable tow bar. At handover I was shown how the detachable tow bar is to be found hidden away in the same little container under and behind the rear seat. I was shown how it is necessary to turn a key as the tow bar is pushed up from below into the receiving channel. I was told this needs considerable dexterity and a feel for the direction of push of the tow bar, such that it is best to do this the first few times by lying down on the ground looking upwards into the receiving chanel as you turn the key.
I was surprised by how complicated it seemed after assuming that it would be a simple matter of installing and taking off the towbar each time it is used.
However having seen that it is quite a performance to attach the tow bar it seems that it might make more sense just to leave the towbar there once it is attached. In my case I would only think about using it to attach a bike rack perhaps a couple of time’s a year. My question is do most Cali owners just leave the tow bar in place once it has been attached ? Are there any disadvantages for just leaving it attached - such as becoming rusted onto the vehicle
So that it won’t come off? With a Reversing camera there should be no increased risk of damage on reversing. However with a car bumping into the Cali from behind presumably a tow bar in place may serve to protect the rear bumper from damage? Any thoughts gratefully received ?

I also have the detachable tow bar - I tend to leave it on in the summer months and take it off in winter (to prevent salt and because I prefer the look without).
It is a faff and I have a mat to lie on when fitting , the more you put it on and off the easier it gets- hope that helps :thumb

Thank you. That sounds a very sensible compromise which makes good sense.

Thanks. So do you leave yours on?

Hello, I just bought new Cali that came with towbar preparation as well as detachable tow bar. At handover I was shown how the detachable tow bar is to be found hidden away in the same little container under and behind the rear seat. I was shown how it is necessary to turn a key as the tow bar is pushed up from below into the receiving channel. I was told this needs considerable dexterity and a feel for the direction of push of the tow bar, such that it is best to do this the first few times by lying down on the ground looking upwards into the receiving chanel as you turn the key.
I was surprised by how complicated it seemed after assuming that it would be a simple matter of installing and taking off the towbar each time it is used.
However having seen that it is quite a performance to attach the tow bar it seems that it might make more sense just to leave the towbar there once it is attached. In my case I would only think about using it to attach a bike rack perhaps a couple of time’s a year. My question is do most Cali owners just leave the tow bar in place once it has been attached ? Are there any disadvantages for just leaving it attached - such as becoming rusted onto the vehicle
So that it won’t come off? With a Reversing camera there should be no increased risk of damage on reversing. However with a car bumping into the Cali from behind presumably a tow bar in place may serve to protect the rear bumper from damage? Any thoughts gratefully received ?
I have never heard so much rubbish. The removable Tow Hitch is, well for me, very easy. Remove from box and check key is in unlock position, remove plastic plug, push into receiver. Security key automatically turns to locked position and remove key.
For removal, insert key, turn to unlock position and Tow Hitch drops down. I leave the key in and return to box Ready for next time.

I leave mine on too - I use it regularly with a towbar bike rack and don’t find that it gets in the way at all when moving around the back of the van.
It would be far more hassle to have to empty the boot space every time to get to the tool pack where it officially lives. An alternative would be to have it easily to hand in a box at the back of the boot, but I really don’t have an issue leaving it in place (and I already have far too much “stuff” in the boot anyway) . Easier just to fit and forget.

Worth remembering that the factory fit towbar replaces the normal towing eye facility, so it's worth keeping it easily accessible. Don't know if that applies to aftermarket ones.