Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any major disadvantages to getting first MOT done 6months early?

Lewis

Lewis

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Aside from the obvious of losing 6 months (annual renewal in May rather than November), I can't think of any reason why not to get the MOT done this month. Am I missing anything?

For context, I'm due a service now, circa 45k miles, 2.5yrs old. Cali is a daily driver but have changed my job in the last 6months so distance is massively reduced, having previously done 20k pa, this will now be more of a standard 12k (inc trips). Servicing will be every 12months and I like the idea of doing it before all of the big trips of the summer, particularly as the Cali gets older (she's a keeper). Makes sense to me to sync the MOT date to avoid any nasty surprises 6months later, I'm also always busier with work in Nov than May. Final thought it also that any big maintenance bills means I can re-budget and make some savings from trip expenses over the summer to balance the books. Nasty surprises in November after an expensive summer and pre-Christmas is less appealing.

Warranty isn't a concern at this point as I have extended to 5yr.

Does my thinking make sense or am I missing something?

:)

No reason at all. But if it fails the MOT, it fails at the time of testing and has to be repaired then and there as it cannot be driven on the public highway.
The servicing, if properly carried out, should highlight any problems likely to mean a MOT failure anyway.
Having the Service in May and MOT in November means the vehicle has a safety check every 6 months rather than every 12 months.

I was told by my local garage that you can now only apply for an MOT 1 month prior to when it's due - the online 'system' won't accept the vehicle details...
Edit - I've just read on the DVLA site that you can book up to 1 month to preserve the due date, but shouldn't stop you doing it early, just 'reset' the date early for next years test. Not sure about the online system not accepting the vehicles details though...

Last edited:
Could fail miserably and cost £1000s. A service would highlight the bulk or things wrong and at least give you 6 months breathing space and of course, failing a mot means you can't drive it. Why dont you keep the service and mot 6 months apart, thats what i do, then your vw mechanics can spot a problem potentially 6 months earlier! "A stich in time saves nine" and all that.

I don't think they check very much on a service. If you are concerned you could ask for a pre MOT check where they basically do all the MOT tests but without the risk of it failing and having to take the vehicle off the road.

I don't think they check very much on a service. If you are concerned you could ask for a pre MOT check where they basically do all the MOT tests but without the risk of it failing and having to take the vehicle off the road.
The only drawback of getting a pre MOT check is that you end up paying for the check and the MOT, just go for the MOT before its due to expire. If it fails so badly that it's off the road chances are you want to have the work done immediately anyway. And given that the OP is talking about a T6 chances are it won't fail on anything that serious.

When ever I have had MOT and service done at the same time they have always done the MOT first followed by the service. They say that will highlight anything that needs to be fixed during the service!

I wouldn't ever do a first MOT much before the 3rd birthday - because the MOT is a good way to pick up anything significant for warranty repair and if I got it tested very early I might then fail to detect an issue that arose post-test but during the last few months of the warranty.

Last edited:
I wouldn't ever do a first MOT much before the 3rd birthday - because the MOT is a good way to pick up anything significant for warranty repair and if I got it tested very early I might then fail to detect an issue that arose post-test but during the last few months of the warranty.
I tend to agree. I get my service and MOT about 28 days before the MOT date, and the garage is told to do what is necessary to pass the MOT.
So the order tends to be - MOT, Service and any repairs/replacements required if the MOT is a fail and then Free MOT re-test, all in one visit.
Never had to have a Re-Test on any of my vehicles yet.:thumb

P..S. I just googled a bit on this, out of idle interest. Although I can't ever remember having a car or van that failed its first MOT, it appears that 17% do indeed fail. Mostly on lights (bulbs mainly, presumably) and also some on tyres (which the owner obviously should have known!) but significant numbers on suspension and brakes issues. Although I'd maybe guess a lot of those would be worn pads or broken springs, rather than being inherent/warranty defects.

See: https://www.whatcar.com/advice/owning/when-should-your-car-get-its-first-mot-test/n1196

Back