Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Any problems with running the parking heater for a couple of days?

Blue Juice

Blue Juice

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all,

I’m currently camped up in La Clusaz enjoying the snow and living in the Cali for a few nights. I’m sleeping up top, with a duvlay and blanket it’s been totally fine (no topper), and I leave the heater on ‘3’. In the daytime when on the slopes I’ve been leaving it on 2, when I get back in the evening on 6 to stay toasty and dry some clothes before turning in. So far the heater had been running for three days. It got me thinking, fuel consumption aside, any issues with doing this?
Thanks

Craig AA4FBF0C-45FA-4BD4-9D8C-69315785B8FC.jpeg

As long as you keep the batteries topped up, and have enough fuel, I can't see why it would be a problem?
The same as your engine, it might even be better to keep it running than to turn it off and on constantly.

As for consumption, it has a rated 0.3 liter per hour, so only 1 liter per 3 hours, and that would be if it keeps running non stop.
But as you turn it on level 2, it won't be on in full power constantly, so the actual consumption will be far less.

Mine was on for 3 days last week on level 2 while I was skiing in Austria - was absolutely fine

I find the consumption is much lower if the heater stays on for a long time instead of started or stopped. Have been running it for 3*24 hours in -15C without problem. Started engine to top up batteries for 20 mins.

Hi all,

I’m currently camped up in La Clusaz enjoying the snow and living in the Cali for a few nights. I’m sleeping up top, with a duvlay and blanket it’s been totally fine (no topper), and I leave the heater on ‘3’. In the daytime when on the slopes I’ve been leaving it on 2, when I get back in the evening on 6 to stay toasty and dry some clothes before turning in. So far the heater had been running for three days. It got me thinking, fuel consumption aside, any issues with doing this?
Thanks

Craig View attachment 54345
Simple answer - No Problem.
The longest I’ve had it on was 6 days, then I moved on.
I think it is better to leave it on and vary the temperature rather than stop/start especially if not on Electrical Hook Up as that will maximise Leisure Battery consumption. If on EHU then the only thing to be concerned about is that if the Fuel Tank level drops below 1/4 capacity then the Parking Heater will shut down, but fuel consumption, as has been stated, is about 0.3L/hr on maximum.

Are you on EHU? What is the campsite, looks great!

Nice to see another member getting on in the alps without a roof topper.

Maximum Kudos points:thumb

Last edited:
With electric and fuel it will run on forever. Until the bearings wear out. Love the pic tho. I'm thinking of taking my cali snow boarding in Feb. Any more tips?

With electric and fuel it will run on forever. Until the bearings wear out. Love the pic tho. I'm thinking of taking my cali snow boarding in Feb. Any more tips?
Practice snow chains at home :) had to put them on and take them off quite a lot when getting into and out of campsite after it dumped a couple of nights ago. Coat hangers to dry kit, microfibre quick dry towel, enthusiasm to walk to the toilet block when it’s -12 :)

Too late if you are already camped up, but if you have hook up, there are plenty of electric heaters that will help, and be quieter.
I love my parking heater, but it's unique strength is keeping you warm when parked up off grid.

Too late if you are already camped up, but if you have hook up, there are plenty of electric heaters that will help, and be quieter.
I love my parking heater, but it's unique strength is keeping you warm when parked up off grid.
Thats a good shout but i wouldn't feel right leaving a leccy
heater on unattended.
Okay whilst I'm in the van though but they do use quite a bit of juice.

Thats a good shout but i wouldn't feel right leaving a leccy
I share your concern even accepting that all the modern fan based heaters have 'trips' to cut out immediately if they topple. Many here love the oil filled radiators (not me). They feel safer but don't have the trips.

Well jel. I tried to convince the Mrs to go to La Clusaz after Christmas.

Yep it’s on EHU, the campsite is https://www.capfun.com/camping-france-rhone_alpes-plan_fernuy-FR.html

You can pretty much ski in / ski out and it has an indoor pool. The parking bays are well spread out and with all the trees feel nice and secluded! This is the view from the side of the van now the big white moved onView attachment 54350

We are going in March so good suggestion for us, how far is it to the uplift, had a look at the location and it appears to be longish hike in ski boots.

We are going in March so good suggestion for us, how far is it to the uplift, had a look at the location and it appears to be longish hike in ski boots.
If you are on skis you can ski to the trail and follow that down to the Bossennet lift station. It’s more a cross country track so not all downhill but watched plenty of people doing it. If like me you are on a snowboard, it’s a nice 10-15 min walk along the cross country trail to the lift station :)

If you are on skis you can ski to the trail and follow that down to the Bossennet lift station. It’s more a cross country track so not all downhill but watched plenty of people doing it. If like me you are on a snowboard, it’s a nice 10-15 min walk along the cross country trail to the lift station :)
Thanks for that.

Last year I was camping and during the day it was 3 degrees Celsius (no topper, isotop or similar)
I use a Ecomat, which was producing plenty of heat, but it still felt cold, lots of cold coming from the pop up top. I ended up pulling the roof down, too much heat dispersion. In the night with diesel heater and pipe to direct the flow upstairs was ok, inside my 0 Fahrenheit sleeping bag.

So this year a Isotop will be installed. The diesel heater or an electric heater are superb, but something needs to be done to keep that heat inside

Ours been on almost every day for 4 months on eurotrip
19ec2e7f8abf638d88af97aedf8170ff.jpg
8e95f8032f86b32d601d6e6f86561804.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Back